Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BenWolfers

The game is dead ?

9 posts in this topic

Goodmorning everyone.

I state that it is not my intention to make any kind of controversy , I have a very clear question to ask :

The game is dead?

If I ask this question it is because in STEAM ( where I purchased the game ) excluding the news of the various discounts there is no trace of updates or news from developers from Patch Notes of June 25, 2015.

I would not recommend to my friends to purchase a title already dead and so no upgrades or expansions , so before doing so I wanted to know if there was something planned for the future or if it is considered an archived project.

Thanks for your attention

Nothing is publicly planned for the future, and I suspect nothing is privately planned either. I wouldn't consider it an archived project, but a finished one. There are some things I'd love to see in the game still, but most games I play I find things I'd like to see. It is worth the 20 bucks, or whatever half off or applicable discount that comes anyone's way.

Smiles

I am kind of confused by this thread...? I didn't think anyone was under the impression that Massive Chalice was still in development or still in Early Access. Sorry if you're not satisfied with the end product, but it is a done game.

Goodmorning everyone.

I state that it is not my intention to make any kind of controversy , I have a very clear question to ask :

The game is dead?

If I ask this question it is because in STEAM ( where I purchased the game ) excluding the news of the various discounts there is no trace of updates or news from developers from Patch Notes of June 25, 2015.

I would not recommend to my friends to purchase a title already dead and so no upgrades or expansions , so before doing so I wanted to know if there was something planned for the future or if it is considered an archived project.

Thanks for your attention

Um. The game is finished. Just like 99.999% of the games on Steam.

So you only play unfinished games...? Weird.

I fear that I have not explained well.

I came to know about this game when it was still in development and I bought it without too much thought, because I really liked the concept and what was promised by the developers .

When the game was released, they have also promised to users , and I quote THEIR WORDS*:

... "the team being very much heads down finishing up the game, and the publishing team launching Broken Age and Grim Fandango mobile recently, this is a key reason for the recent quietness on our end! We promise not to shut up for a while now though."...

These words suggest what? That the game is over and will not do anything , or they will continue to follow the game with future announcements ? The promise is very clear, for me.

Instead , in the following month it has done only 2 little patchs of bugfixes ( 1.01 and 1.04 ).

And it is for that reason that I am asking if the game is dead , and therefore will no longer be upgraded and there are no expansions or dlc , or if I was just missing something and instead were continuing to work on it.

Having said that , I repeat , I love this game and are glad I bought , but before recommending it to friends I want to be sure of what I say , that " this is the game and there will be nothing new in the coming months " or " also expected future expansion ".

Only this :)

*You can found this word on the news of this game on steam, in the launch date announcement of 14/05/2015

The quote you found, I think you are misunderstanding it. It came prior to 1.0 release, and basically they were saying with that quote is that as the deadline for 1.0 was creeping, they were quiet on the communication front, and were apologizing. The quote basically explains for the next 3 weeks to release, they would be providing more communications.

Check out the announcement again. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/17089/

Smiles

The quote you found, I think you are misunderstanding it. It came prior to 1.0 release, and basically they were saying with that quote is that as the deadline for 1.0 was creeping, they were quiet on the communication front, and were apologizing. The quote basically explains for the next 3 weeks to release, they would be providing more communications.

Check out the announcement again. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/17089/

Smiles

Very well, I believe it is as you say .

The problem , in my opinion , is that of steam announcement is quite unambiguous , however no problem , thank you for giving me the answer I was looking for .

I can now advertise the game in the best way , good game at all !

I don't understand this sense of entitlement in gamers these days when they think that a game is never "finished" and should just keep getting updates until the end of time.

I blame the culture of crowdfunding and early access and kickstarters, where gamers are used to games being in development for 10 years before its "final." And then I blame the culture of downloadable content, which has people feel that a game will have more content added forever and ever after it's "final."

Back in my day, a game came out and it was done. I never used to have to install even just patches. I wish we could go back to those days, because it's gotten a little ridiculous. 

" ... "the team being very much heads down finishing up the game, and the publishing team launching Broken Age and Grim Fandango mobile recently, this is a key reason for the recent quietness on our end! We promise not to shut up for a while now though."... "

The way I read that, it looks like the game is about to be finished, and they won't shut up until they've released the final game and announced it. Keyword there is "about to" meaning at the time it was said it probably wasn't done yet. 

I can assure you, the game is done now. I just finished the final battle.

All in all, the game won't take you more than a day or two to finish. Pretty easy, but replayability-wise the game system felt too shallow for me to try my hand at playing through it again. It was okay but in hindsight I probably wouldn't have spent any money buying it. 

Edited by Mochan

Posted (edited)

I'm glad you've now seen sense. Your quote was referring to the lack of game development news because they'd been so busy. Not future games updates. The post was written by Spaff, the community manager. In context:

Finally, I’m sure you’ll all join us in congratulating Brad and his wife Cate, who are now the proud parents of their first child and heir, Gibson! Along with the team being very much heads down finishing up the game, and the publishing team launching Broken Age and Grim Fandango mobile recently, this is a key reason for the recent quietness on our end! We promise not to shut up for a while now though.

"Not to shut up" means to TALK.

Edited by ThunderPeel