Sign in to follow this  
Potato Shaven

Lackluster After Long Break

I have to say I tried playing this again and ... I don't know. I'm completely indifferent to it. Sure it's mostly got a tactical experience and sure it mostly has a strategy layer but mostly it just doesn't add up to an experience worth my time. I was struck by one thing though. That music is perfect. It's almost hypnotic. Well done there. I could easily understand zoning out and just playing this while it was in early access over and over.

According to steam, I've payed 135 hours MC -- all of it post release, since I didn't play as part of the early access stuff.

Its a decent game, that I wish game some more elements and polish. Sometimes the battles become a grind, and that kind of stinks. But, it is well worth the money, and I think average players will get a number of different runs out of it.

Smiles

I just did a keep defense. The lack of a forfeit option mid game. Cradles not indicating if they are going to lob an attack (I remember trying to drive home this point, that cradles if they are going to launch a bomb need to have red bulbs so that you can properly manage the threat assessment)... and level design which flies in the face of game balance - careful and slow discovery of enemies.

Granted I did start the game in the higher difficulty but I'm bored / disgruntled after about two hours. Not sure I can agree it was worth the money. Although I did enjoy testing and comparing game design principles with staff and other forum members.

Steams says I've spent 75 hours playing it. But I'm looking over the achivements and I dunno. I'm pretty sure I met most of those and have played for more than that because of how many achievements I think I should have earned. So I mean. Clearly it's not awful or anything...

Well, everyone's money and financial situation is their own of course, but MC, to me, is easily worth it. And even more so when the discounts and sales come out.

Smiles

You're probably just done with the game. It happens to most games eventually. :)

I agree with the the topic thread.
Very lack luster, but this to me seems to be the trend with Double Fine.
I've played a few of their games, and even seen a couple others, and the one word that comes to mind each time, is meh.
I remember enjoying Iron Brigade, untill I found out how bland boring and shallow it was once you beat the campaign...
And when I found out they made a tactical strategy game I was down for that.
However, my experience overall, has been Meh, or frustrated at the stupid systems in place.
I can't enjoy the game long enough to want to see it through to the end, because, at least in my experience, I always draw the short end of the sticks...
My games usually start off immediately getting Kneecapped by the random traits and personalities, then immediately sets up a keep for future heroes, only to have no, little, or too much childbirth, then the regent dies and I can't change the house to be something else...
I mean, it's one thing to have set houses, but it's another when you actively can't change the house after the regent that "you chose" dies...
Not to mention the plethora of trait/personality bugs, or how they even interact with each other...

Overall, the game has a lot of interesting ideas, there's just no polish, or refinement, they just are...
I'm not going to say, the game is done and that's how it should be, but I really with DF had kept up with the game and refining the systems in place, because this could honestly be a really great game, it just needs some TLC.