Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸

Music

52 posts in this topic

If it doesn't I'm not buying it.

Actually that's a lie, I will be forced by my own lack of self control to purchase it immediately, however I won't be happy. Unless it's a Jack Black cover tracklist, then I'm sold for real.

I've actually been speaking to Keith Karloff (the Gone Jackals) for a couple years, now... I had tracked him down to ask permission to use tracks of the album for my FT game movie, to improve sound quality on the music.

He told me a month ago, when I asked him if he'd been approached about the remaster, that he would actually prefer to hear modern bands cover his original tracks for the game. I don't agree with the sentiment, and I'm sure you won't either, but those are his wishes.

He told me a month ago, when I asked him if he'd been approached about the remaster, that he would actually prefer to hear modern bands cover his original tracks for the game. I don't agree with the sentiment, and I'm sure you won't either, but those are his wishes.

Most curious. I would expect that kind of request from someone who had lost all the tapes needed to make a remaster possible. One of my wishes for this remastered title was the possibility of having a new soundtrack to coincide with it's release. Not only featuring the songs by the Gone Jackels, but also the instrumental version, tracks from the game, ect.

Also, hey everyone! Just joined in after finding out that Double Fine had a forum!

Here's the latest from Kieth on the subject.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Polecat84

Well, that tells you a little bit how a big company works with the other parties.

Ate into 80% of his sales...? Give me a break! He's completely delusional if he thinks including songs during the ending credits stopped anyone buying his album. I bought the CD because of the game, as I imagine many people did! Nobody was going to boot up the game just because they felt like listening to his music for "free". Sigh.

Edited by ThunderPeel

You'd have to beat the entire game to listen to them and they were only 22khz mono. Still, terrible way LA treated him. That's too bad. Absolutely nice to hear he's on good terms with DF/Tim.

1 hour ago, MusicallyInspired said:

You'd have to beat the entire game to listen to them and they were only 22khz mono. Still, terrible way LA treated him. That's too bad. Absolutely nice to hear he's on good terms with DF/Tim.

Yeah, I have to agree. I can certainly understand why he feels like he got burnt by LucasArts -- and he certainly has my sympathies for that -- but I don't buy that having a portion of the music featured in the game ate into 80% of album sales. I don't see how he can justify that. I mean, this is 1995 we're talking about, when people went to stores and paid for music. Until reading this thread I wasn't even aware the album was in wide distribution.

It sounds like he's got a huge chip on his shoulder because he thinks the game gave away his music for free. It also sounds quite obvious that he's never played it (at least to the end). The game didn't give away his music for free any more than a film does -- actually far less so because the quality was so poor, and you had to actually solve puzzles to hear it. I'm not sure why he's so warm towards Tim and the game itself considering all this. It sounds weirdly disingenuous to me.

I'm reluctant to go so far as to say that Keith should really be grateful that the game made so many people aware of his music, but it's difficult not to see it that way. It was like being played on a radio station that only adventure game fans listened to. I know I'm not the only fan of Full Throttle to seek out a copy of Bone to Pick, and I have a feeling, thanks to the ability to pick up rare music so easily on places like iTunes, that Keith will see an increase in sales once the Remaster is released, too.

At least I hope so. Maybe then he could capitalise on this opportunity more, too. If he'd embraced FT a bit more, the Gone Jackals could have picked up a fanbase of FT fans.

Edited by ThunderPeel

He sounds much more at peace with things in that message, and I guess the reason he likes Tim is apparently because he knows him. That's cool. I'm glad there genuinely isn't bad blood between them then. I really do hope he finally sees something positive as a result of FT. BTP is a great album!

Thanks for sharing this stuff, Joshua, but I was just wondering: Does Keith know you're posting his messages in a forum like this? I hope so!

I have mentioned before that I occasionally share his comments with the community. He's mostly excited about the project, as he was always a fan of Shafer's end product. All screenshots but the last were from comments made publicly so there's no betrayal of confidence there.

I like his music (as we all do) and he is a very great guy (he gave me full permission to remix the tracks from the Bone To Pick album for use in my game-movie on YouTube). I just want him to have a voice here, and I thought us fans might enjoy hearing from the man himself on topics dear to us.

Will the background music be redone from scratch, or is it going to be remastered in high quality? Some of it sounds like a really bad midi synth.

Edited by Monkey Mania

All of the background music will be remastered by Peter McConnell. He is performing it all from scratch with the original midi versions as a guide. It sounds truly amazing and I can tell he is having a blast revisiting those old tracks. I think you guys will be very very happy with the results. I had an ear to ear grin when he turned in the first few cues.

Once I get approval, I think I can share some of it in the forum.

As far as the Gone Jackals stuff, it will all be included just like the original game. I wouldn't dare cut any of that from the game!

1 hour ago, matthansen said:

Once I get approval, I think I can share some of it in the forum.

Yey!!

1 hour ago, matthansen said:

As far as the Gone Jackals stuff, it will all be included just like the original game. I wouldn't dare cut any of that from the game!

Regarding the Gone Jackals BTP music, it seems in the original game some unique instrumental stems were customized and  rearranged (in contrast to their format and pattern on the BTP album, ie- a guitar solo taken from here and put in a different place in the song, etc) and used for all the Gone Jackals music cues in the game.

1) Will you be reusing those same old cues (in low quality), ripping music just straight from the album, or regenerating the same custom arranged instrumental cues but in full quality?

2) If it's the third option (which I do hope) how accurate can you be with that? Do all the original custom music cues still exist in high quality before having been rendered down for the game back in 1995? Or do you have to rearrange them in the same way all over again?

That is awesome! I could hear the redone intro music in the teaser trailer and noticed a big improvement.

I do now that I listen to it again! I guess I thought it was all audio from the old trailer that was mentioned previously, but listening now, it's clear it's new.