Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸

Music

47 posts in this topic

That is awesome! I could hear the redone intro music in the teaser trailer and noticed a big improvement.

I do now that I listen to it again! I guess I thought it was all audio from the old trailer that was mentioned previously, but listening now, it's clear it's new.

Sorry I've been away for a few days, guys. It's been a crazy week. Excuse me while I catch up.

Thank you for dropping by and for the wonderful insight, Matt!

Technology has certainly improved since '95. I can't wait to hear the original score on modern VST's. Even what little was teased in the trailer sounds incredible. I'm stoked to hear the rest in its high-def (non-compressed?) glory!

Did you manage to find the original voice recordings?

Edited by Monkey Mania

1 hour ago, Monkey Mania said:

Did you manage to find the original voice recordings?

I can't speak for Matt but I believe they did. Fortunately, LucasArts had the foresight to save practically everything and did an incredible job archiving their work. Other companies at the time, like Sierra, unfortunately did not keep much of anything.

Yeah, but it wasn't Sierra's call. The company that bought them out (CUC or Cendant Corporation one of them) after Ken Williams sold, took a truckload of stuff and tossed it in the dumpster. Moronic. They didn't care about any of it.

37 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Yeah, but it wasn't Sierra's call. The company that bought them out (CUC or Cendant Corporation one of them) after Ken Williams sold, took a truckload of stuff and tossed it in the dumpster. Moronic. They didn't care about any of it.

Oh yes, I can only imagine how heartbreaking that had to have been for the Sierra alumni. I especially feel sorry for those I call friends and deeply respect, like Josh Mandel, Scott Murphy and Al Lowe. I think Josh caught the worst of it. Al was working as a contractor which was probably best given the situation. Management became a revolving door around '96 from what I understand. It's a shame that company was destroyed by criminals.

On 10/12/2016 at 3:51 AM, matthansen said:

All of the background music will be remastered by Peter McConnell. He is performing it all from scratch with the original midi versions as a guide. It sounds truly amazing and I can tell he is having a blast revisiting those old tracks.

I took this to mean he's performing at least some aspects on live instruments, is that right?

Yes, I'm sure standard instruments like guitar will be live. I was referring to anything outside guitar and bass. I'm grouping other string instruments like steel guitar in with this. I imagine Peter will use some amp modeling, though. Drums are a pain in the ass to mic, and I can't recall if there are any drums on the score to begin with, but I wouldn't blame them for using a VST if that were the case. I would be very surprised if cues that feature orchestral instruments on tracks like when Miranda is sneaking around aren't VST's.

Edited by cavefish

There were a few tracks with drums. Tons of guitars, of course.  There are also lots of orchestral stuff in there like strings, brass, woodwinds. Some synth stuff like pads. Piano, strings, timpani and tubular bells are quite common. A few oddities like an accordion and electric organ. The game wanted to sound like a Hollywood mystery thriller soundtrack, but 90's midi instruments didn't do it justice.  Hopefully, fairly realistic virtual instruments are used this time around.

You can take a listen here:

Edited by Monkey Mania

4 hours ago, cavefish said:

Yes, I'm sure standard instruments like guitar will be live. I was referring to anything outside guitar and bass. I'm grouping other string instruments like steel guitar in with this. I imagine Peter will use some amp modeling, though. Drums are a pain in the ass to mic, and I can't recall if there are any drums on the score to begin with, but I wouldn't blame them for using a VST if that were the case. I would be very surprised if cues that feature orchestral instruments on tracks like when Miranda is sneaking around aren't VST's.

There are drums in the scene with the gas tower when the security ship arrives.

As for live instruments, it'll probably be more like DOTT Remastered which uses mostly VSTs. Anything Peter can play himself he'll probably record. Orchestral instruments and drums I wouldn't blame him for going the plugin route.

I gotta say, the only thing I don't really like about the new music is the bass hits. Maybe I'm just too used to that Sound Canvase slap bass patch, though.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

On 2016-12-09 at 11:51 PM, matthansen said:

All of the background music will be remastered by Peter McConnell. He is performing it all from scratch with the original midi versions as a guide. It sounds truly amazing and I can tell he is having a blast revisiting those old tracks. I think you guys will be very very happy with the results. I had an ear to ear grin when he turned in the first few cues.

Once I get approval, I think I can share some of it in the forum.

As far as the Gone Jackals stuff, it will all be included just like the original game. I wouldn't dare cut any of that from the game!

On 2016-12-09 at 11:51 PM, matthansen said:

All of the background music will be remastered by Peter McConnell. He is performing it all from scratch with the original midi versions as a guide. It sounds truly amazing and I can tell he is having a blast revisiting those old tracks. I think you guys will be very very happy with the results. I had an ear to ear grin when he turned in the first few cues.

Once I get approval, I think I can share some of it in the forum.

As far as the Gone Jackals stuff, it will all be included just like the original game. I wouldn't dare cut any of that from the game!

Can we somehow make it up to the band?

12 hours ago, t8z5h3 said:

Can we somehow make it up to the band?

Yeah, we are trying to work something out to make everyone happy.

Posted (edited)

Okay, so. Some of you know I'm in occasional contact with Keith Karloff. It's no big deal, all you have to do is look him up on FB; he's a friendly guy.

But this latest correspondence was completely out of the blue and unexpected. Small world, I guess, thanks to the internet. Note the first comment at the bottom of my video.....

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitl-1.jpg

Edited by Polecat84

Posted (edited)

And to give Jon Spiegel some long overdue credit, here's (what I *think* is) his Twitter: https://twitter.com/jonaspiegel

And an *amazing* performance (IMHO):

Edited by ThunderPeel