Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
epic

The DFAF March Madness Bracket Challenge! (Zacal Wins The Original Bracket While Johro Wins The 2nd Chance Bracket)

This week is the start of the 2016 March Madness Tournament.

Hey Epic, I'm a guy who's not into sports or I don't know your Yankee Lingo, so what's March Madness?

March Madness is an annual college basketball tournament consisting of 68 college teams throughout the U.S. Before the games start on Thursday (starting with the real 1st Round, not the First Four on Tuesday and Wednesday), every fan tries to predict what teams will win what matches by filling out a bracket. Whichever person has the best bracket will win. A perfect bracket DOES NOT EXIST because it's really fucking hard to predict all 63 matches correctly in a row.

What site do we go to and how do we submit our bracket?

I chose to host a group on ESPN with their bracket challenge. The name of our group on ESPN is called DFAF, which you can find right here: http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/2016/en/group?groupID=1162298

First, you're going to need an account on this site and then join the group. You will then need to name your bracket, so I expect you to put your DFAF username on the bracket so we can all know which bracket is which. If need be, you can post on this thread and link your bracket here, so I can see which one is which. One bracket per user please. In order for your bracket to count, you must pick a winning team in each of the 63 games before Thursday.

What about prizes?

If there's a mod out here who's into Steam, I would suggest awarding the winner a free Steam code for any game of their choosing. Besides that, all I can think of as a prize is bragging rights.

WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET GOING AND GET PICKING!

You're going down epic.

Finally, an opponent! Hope we get more sign ups.

We have a problem. There's a third sign up, but the person who submitted their bracket DID NOT use their DFAF name or identification on ESPN. Whoever submitted espn90559511 9 on the group, would you please identify yourself on this thread?

I have also have Yale going a while, and I have Kansas winning it all

I did one and I know NOTHING about college basketball.

Didn't put my forum name anywhere. Edabca.

I have Oregon. I randomly picked a state and it happened to have a good team.

For my upsets, I got Steven F. Austin as the lowest seed to win a game. I have 12 seeded South Dakota State going to the Sweet 16 while 6 seeded Texas going to the Elite 8. My Final 4 has a 1 seed, two 2 seeds, and a 4 seed.

I have a 10 seed in the 8, but that's as crazy as that got. My final four is 1-2-4-4 though, with a 1-4 final.

There's another user named $weet on ESPN. Could this please identify themselves for us?

Well, the games aren't over, but my strategy of knowing nothing doesn't seem to be paying off. I need a couple huge comebacks.

Edit: I got one of them anyway. And damnit Baylor, you were sooo close. Came down to bad fouls in the last 10 seconds.

Thank you Baylor for losing, and fuck you Purdue for choking and losing in double overtime.

Good picks epic, you're doing well. I had Baylor winning as well, Johro.

The Purdue upset hurt me, I had them over Iowa as well. I picked Yale (I picked Duke next round but Yale could win that as well) and Uconn to upset correctly, and Providence has the lead in the second half. Arizona looks like they're going to lose which is bad for me, I had them making it to 16.

Tomorrow will be the reckoning. I have two longshots going at least two rounds and they play tomorrow. I could be completely out of this by the end of the day. So far, my round of 16 is intact.

Yeah your possible points remaining is as high as anyone else's.

4 way tie at the moment, it looks like one of the anonymous people that joined our group is going to take the lead after the Gonzaga/Seton Hall game. They're quite good, they called Gonzaga, Uconn, Yale and Witchita State upsets today.

I haven't begun to fight though, wait until Saturday: I have UCONN over Kansas and Providence over UNC. If I get one or both of those I'll be in good shape.

Middle Tennessee State University is going to kill our brackets. Damn them!

I had Michigan State going to the elite 8 so I'm better off than a lot of you. I just made the wrong pick on Temple/Iowa (good game though) and Hawaii/Cal but I had them both losing in the next round anyways. It's not every year that a 2 loses to a 15, good for those guys.

I had Michigan bowing out in the 32. That upset may have saved me. I'm currently #1 in PPR. I'll consider that a victory before I end up last for my wild Round of 32/16 choices.

Yep. Apparently, I picked a really shaky team to make it to the 8. So I'll probably be joining the others whom lost one.

Correctly picked Stephen F. Austin over West Virginia.

Wait. There's a Steve Austin school and no one told coolsome?

Nope, but I guessed right. 15/16 of my finals are still intact. Damn Cal did me wrong.

After the 1st Round:

Me - 240

Johro - 220

Brown - 220

Mystery Spammer 1 - 220

Mystery Spammer 2 - 220

Zacal - 190

Jenni - 140

You definitely know your NCAA. That's for sure.

I'm also apparently pretty good at judging a team based on their name. Besides Oregon and Syracuse, it was completely random.

Glad I chose the right Oregon and I got Syracuse doing admirably because I saw some story on a 2am sports show about a pretty good canadian on the team. So give the homeboy a little love. That was my whole process.

Kentucky hurt bad though. Had them in the final 4.

Had them in my Elite 8. Damn Hoosiers!

Sign in to follow this