Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RMJ

Maniac mansion remaster & Day of the tentacle 2

So we are now very close to the release of Day of the Tentacle remastered, something which ive personally looked forward too for such a long time.

yet as this is one of my absolute most favorited point n click games. i cant help but wonder and think, that mansion mansion deserves a remaster treatment as well. It should be shining it up kinda like Thimbleweed park, or simply like Day of the tentacles art style.

And on the vein of that thought. I would be such an amazing pleasure to get another Maniac mansion game. Personally i wouldn mind at all for a sequel to Day of the tentacle. i feel like there is still some potential there, just the fact that you dont see time travel games all that often anymore.

I completely agree, but if you haven't seen Maniac Mansion Deluxe, you should check it out. It's a fan made Remaster of MM that's actually really good.

Also Night Of The Meteor, which is a fan project remaking MM in the art style of DOTT. It may have stalled, though, which is a shame.

If there were a MM3/DOTT2, I wouldn't want it to be time-travel. The first game played with slasher movie tropes, the second one did sci-fi. I'd like a third game to do something different again with the mansion.

Tim has said time and time again that the only way MM could get a proper redoing would be if Ron Gilbert gets involved.

I would absolutely love MM to be done exactly in the style of DOTT, but the sad reality is that without Ron this won't ever happen.

Tim has also stated that all the time spent working on a sequel basically is taken away the possibility of other work being done, and there's a grave potential of not living up to what the fans truly loved about their beloved games - and such he's not particularly keen.

Again, I would love these games in the style of DOTT and DOTT:RE, but the possibility is zilch.

I completely agree, but if you haven't seen Maniac Mansion Deluxe, you should check it out. It's a fan made Remaster of MM that's actually really good.

Oh i've tried this one. Its definitely the definitive edition of the game so far!.

I actually think a remaster of Maniac Mansion done in the style of the concept art would be pretty neat, with an orchestrated version of the songs composed for the NES version, preferably modernized a bit to fit each individual room instead of per character (but maybe with a selectable option to use the old "CD player" way of music): ie: Dave's theme for the main mansion and the surrounding area, Michael's theme for the development room, Wendy's for the room with the type writer and the surrounding rooms, Syd's theme for the piano room, etc. And of course, Better Ed then Dead for the Edisons. I'm always a bit disappointed when playing the computer versions of Maniac Mansion (including Deluxe), because they lack the Edison's theme song from the NES version.

mmconcept1.jpg

mmconcept2.jpg

mmconcept3.jpg

mmconcept4.jpg

mmconcept5.jpg

I actually think a remaster of Maniac Mansion done in the style of the concept art would be pretty neat, with an orchestrated version of the songs composed for the NES version, preferably modernized a bit to fit each individual room instead of per character (but maybe with a selectable option to use the old "CD player" way of music): ie: Dave's theme for the main mansion and the surrounding area, Michael's theme for the development room, Wendy's for the room with the type writer and the surrounding rooms, Syd's theme for the piano room, etc. And of course, Better Ed then Dead for the Edisons. I'm always a bit disappointed when playing the computer versions of Maniac Mansion (including Deluxe), because they lack the Edison's theme song from the NES version.

I have never seen those before, thanks for sharing!

You gotta admit, even if there hasn't been any news regarding this project lately, what we do have looks really good.

phoca_thumb_l_scrnshot2.pngphoca_thumb_l_scrnshot1.pngphoca_thumb_l_scrnshot0.pngphoca_thumb_l_scrnshot.pngphoca_thumb_l_mad-edison.png

phoca_thumb_l_baroque.png

Couldn't Double Fine get in touch with the creators of this project and see if they can't team up so that this thing becomes a reality within the next decade? They could make it a fully realized and officially licensed game and actually sell it. I mean it's not that big of a game anyway.

I don't know if this would be possible but I'd find it really cool.

Maybe they could get some input from Ron Gilbert and the other old staff in terms of what changes should be applied to remove the dead ends and make it feel more like a DotT game.

Some have criticized the writing in this trailer, maybe they could get some help from more skilled writers.

I'd REALLY like to see this become a reality.

Night of the meteor looks freaking awesome. I just fear it will never get done. Sometimes i wish i were rich and could throw some money af that guy or people who are making it. They are really exceptionally talented.

Night of the meteor looks freaking awesome. I just fear it will never get done. Sometimes i wish i were rich and could throw some money af that guy or people who are making it. They are really exceptionally talented.

At first I wanted to say that they could open a kickstarter... but then I remembered that it's not their IP.

But again, if they worked with Double Fine and Ron Gilbert they could.

I really like the fan-remakes of Maniac Mansion (played Deluxe, and used to follow the Night of the Meteor news a bit), but it would be pretty great to see something official. But at least the game itself is kind of getting a re-release anyway as it's part of DOTT Remastered (despite not being remastered itself, at least customers will have legal access to the game again).

Regarding the music, I like the idea of it being made to suit the rooms rather than just switching based on who you're controlling, NES style. Having certain locations sample character theme music would be neat.

Anyway, I'm mostly hoping for a third game in the franchise. Someday. In the distant future. :D Personally I would love a MM3 to be, for the most part, faithful to DOTT in terms of atmosphere, art style, and bringing back the same characters. I guess that's going to be a matter of taste though - there will likely be fans who'd prefer a third game to resemble the original Maniac Mansion more so than Day of the Tentacle.

Ron Gilbert's view on the remastering concept:

https://mobile.twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/711238100983291904

I agree with him, but feel less strongly about it than tinkering with movies.

I don't agree with him, as coloring B&W movies doesn't improve the visual quality in movies. In most cases it makes it worse. Remastering on the other hand improves both image and audio quality.

I see this kind of remastering that's done for DoTT the same ways as taking an old movie and cleaning it up so, that it looks nice and detailed and sounds as good as possible, as the voice acting is taken from the original sources and the art style crafted towards the original as closely as possible. And then there's the fact that you can play the game with original graphics.

What I personally a bit forwn upon, but not stongly, is something that was done with Gabriel Knight, when the stong art direction of the original was changed to much more blander and less interesting pre-rendered style. They also altered the strcuture of the game, which was a bummer along side with new voice acting.

I don't agree with him, as coloring B&W movies doesn't improve the visual quality in movies. In most cases it makes it worse. Remastering on the other hand improves both image and audio quality.

I see this kind of remastering that's done for DoTT the same ways as taking an old movie and cleaning it up so, that it looks nice and detailed and sounds as good as possible, as the voice acting is taken from the original sources and the art style crafted towards the original as closely as possible. And then there's the fact that you can play the game with original graphics.

What I personally a bit forwn upon, but not stongly, is something that was done with Gabriel Knight, when the stong art direction of the original was changed to much more blander and less interesting pre-rendered style. They also altered the strcuture of the game, which was a bummer along side with new voice acting.

The point is not whether colouring adds anything. The point is that the game is a product of its time, and that that adds another layer to the game. I have nothing against making revised versions of old games, as long as the original is available (which it is in DOTT's case). But I fully understand and appreciate that Ron Gilbert has no interest in making an updated version.

He is the polar opposite of George Lucas, which is great :)

The point is not whether colouring adds anything. The point is that the game is a product of its time, and that that adds another layer to the game. I have nothing against making revised versions of old games, as long as the original is available (which it is in DOTT's case). But I fully understand and appreciate that Ron Gilbert has no interest in making an updated version.

He is the polar opposite of George Lucas, which is great :)

But the original still exists. I know a ton of people who has gotten exposed to Grim Fandango and the Monkey island games only because of the remasters. So if he ever gets to make another Monkey island, it will be because more newer fans as well as the original as experienced the game. You just arent gonna get people to play those old pixelated games on dosbox with their horrible compatibility issues.

Im looking forward to Full Throttle remaster as well as dreaming about the Digg and Sam & max hit the road. Not to mention System Shock 1 remaster.

At first I wanted to say that they could open a kickstarter... but then I remembered that it's not their IP.

Yeah they would get sued almost instantly for breaking copyright i fear.

Sadly not all companies are like Valve, that not only accepts that fans remaster / remake their games but also allows them to sell it. While Black Mesa isnt perfect, its one hell of an accomplishment for the modders and its getting improved constantly.

mmconcept5.jpg

Man.... I made that little 'mixnmojo.com' watermark thing 15 years ago or something, funny to see that still existing. :)

I actually approached them about the time of release of Grim Fandango and they stated that they specifically wanted that independence.

They also said that progress has not ceased as I asked.

I share your fears, I *really* want this project to finish.

Sign in to follow this