Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

I saw Tim Schafer (mostly Double Fine) on exhibit today!

My local science museum, OMSI, had a temporary exhibit up called "Game Masters", and it had a most excellent display in one corner (sorry for how fuzzy the picture is, my tablet has no flash). I may be slightly biased, but it was one of the better displays IMO because it had more items to look at than just the games to play

Oh hey, Game Masters. Tim came to the opening of that when it first launched. Do they still have the tour bus?

I managed to grab some slightly better photos of the artwork.

It's an interesting exhibition, but I can't help but feel that fixating on celebrating "auteurs" behind games that had dozens of people working on them is a little sad. I can't deny that many of the people featured had a very specific style that is worth talking about, but there are so many other talented people who had significant impact on what these games ended up being. To take one title that's far closer to the line than others, would Another World have been the same game without Jean-François Freitas' music?

My favourite (for want of a better word) piece of trivia that I found there was that Dave Theurer suffered nightmares of nuclear war during Missile Command's development. To me, that adds so much more depth to the game and its themes than I'd ever considered.

Hope you enjoined the exhibit!

I would agree that for the most part the games they displayed required so many people to develop them, many amazing on their own. It doesn't depreciate the value of seeing some of that stuff up close and personal, though. I'm going to have to go a second time since I had my cranky 16 month old daughter with me this time and I couldn't stand still very long at any one area.

For sure! There's a lot of cool content there.

I haven't been able to find any full recordings of the "in conversation" interview that was one of the launch events, but it seems like there's a snippet online.

slppFjUUt4Q

This interview attempted to frame Tim's history as conforming to the "Hero's Journey" monomyth (to varying degrees of success) and was a bunch of fun. I should get around to expanding out my notes from that at some point.

I was really hoping to see a confused looking wax statue of Tim enclosed in a glass case.

I was really hoping to see a confused looking wax statue of Tim enclosed in a glass case.

Sorry to disappoint, my title was semi-vague I guess :)

Sign in to follow this