Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CountDuckula

Mouseover Text Placement When Using Auto/Dial Verbs (PC)

I'm wondering if anyone else would prefer (or at least like the option of) the mouseover text being placed at the bottom of the screen rather than at the mouse cursor location when using auto/dial verbs, aka widescreen.

I pre-ordered the remaster from GOG and am very pleased with everything other than the extra-large (with background colour) mouseover text when not using the traditional verb bar. I would very much like to play the remaster in widescreen (having completed the game in 4:3 via SCUMMVM on many platforms over the years), but I really find the text covering parts of the image when moving the cursor around the screen very obtrusive and distracting.

It may fit for a touchscreen interface where it's already expected large parts of the screen are obscured for input, but feels very out of place to me when playing on a PC with a large screen and mouse.

Added to our suggestion list.

Thanks Vic, much appreciated.

The remaster is brilliant, personally I'm very happy you didnt replace the animations or change the art style to something different, it looks and sounds great and the verb dial is very useful (although having limited options for many interactive objects does simplify the game as you know not to try the other verbs).

Regarding maintaining the original animations, is it just me or in the cutscene where Jefferson, Hancock and Washington jump out the window due to the 'fire', do they now 'hang' in the air for less time before falling? I always felt much of the simplicity of the game's animation was for style purposes, not just technical limitations.

I need to test against the original game in SCUMMVM when I get home :)

Sign in to follow this