Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeku

Oozo the Clown's laugh is different

This is such a minor thing, and not really a complaint, but has anyone else noticed the pitch of Oozo the Clown's laugh is different on the remastered version? It's higher pitched, and I wonder if the sound is completely different altogether. This is in both the remastered and the "original" version when I press F1 to toggle.

Again, it's not a complaint, but I'd love to know why this is. I thought they took the same sound effects and dialogue from the original game?

There are a lot of changed sound effects, which I feel are unnecessary since this is supposed to be a remaster, not a remake.

I was surprised to hear that changed too. At first I thought I was just going crazy and that maybe the one they used in the remaster was just how Oozo's original voice sounded in high quality, but no, too different. I'm not complaining either, but I was wondering why this happened. Maybe the original voice for Oozo couldn't be recovered?

There are a lot of changed sound effects, which I feel are unnecessary since this is supposed to be a remaster, not a remake.

There are many subtle differences only the die-hard fans would be able to pick up on. Some I like, some take some getting used to.

Were they needed? Well, I'm sure the decision was made for a good reason and I have faith in that.

They just couldn't find a lot of those sound effects uncompressed anywhere, so naturally they had to remake them, as they would have sounded off next to high quality sounds.

Yeah see that thread above. The original sound effect files are too low quality to use, so paul tracked down as many of them as possible, sadly some could not be tracked down and had to be replaced.

Yeah see that thread above. The original sound effect files are too low quality to use, so paul tracked down as many of them as possible, sadly some could not be tracked down and had to be replaced.

I understand they are too low quality for the remastered version but why not make them available for the classic version IF people want to hear them?

Also, as we discussed in that thread there are some uncompressed versions of certain sound effects out there, like the walking sounds of the tentacles. Can't you get those?

I'll ask Paul to come and comment on the choices made here!

we could only include one sound file for both classic and remastered though, due to the way it works.

I'll ask Paul to come and comment on the choices made here!

we could only include one sound file for both classic and remastered though, due to the way it works.

Not even if you added an option in the settings menu that would change them in both versions?

Howdy! As Spaff said, we didn't have any archived versions of the uncompressed SFX. I went through thousands of sounds, across dozens of classic audio libraries, trying to track down a 1:1 match for the classic sounds. There were a handful of sounds I couldn't find and that's where I needed to remake them. Regarding allowing the use of classic SFX entirely, we opted not to use them since they sound awful when compressed and the differences were minor. That being said, it is unfortunate that we couldn't recover the uncompressed SFX, as that's what we all would have preferred. Than you for supporting the game and for your detailed devotion to DOTT!

Howdy! As Spaff said, we didn't have any archived versions of the uncompressed SFX. I went through thousands of sounds, across dozens of classic audio libraries, trying to track down a 1:1 match for the classic sounds. There were a handful of sounds I couldn't find and that's where I needed to remake them. Regarding allowing the use of classic SFX entirely, we opted not to use them since they sound awful when compressed and the differences were minor. That being said, it is unfortunate that we couldn't recover the uncompressed SFX, as that's what we all would have preferred. Than you for supporting the game and for your detailed devotion to DOTT!

Thanks for the answer.

So couldn't you still implement some if you find them? For example this one:

I know it's on youtube but you can probably get that library somewhere...

Or is that stuff just way too expensive?

Thanks for the answer.

So couldn’t you still implement some if you find them? For example this one:

I know it’s on youtube but you can probably get that library somewhere…

So resourceful! I hadn't thought to audition the libraries on Youtube but that seems even more time consuming than scanning through the actual libraries. The library you cited is $325.00 USD for something we'd need a few sounds from and wouldn't need again so you can see how that could add up.

Thanks for the answer.

So couldn’t you still implement some if you find them? For example this one:

I know it’s on youtube but you can probably get that library somewhere…

So resourceful! I hadn't thought to audition the libraries on Youtube but that seems even more time consuming than scanning through the actual libraries. The library you cited is $325.00 USD for something we'd need a few sounds from and wouldn't need again so you can see how that could add up.

WHAT? Holy jeez why is that crud to expensive? Aw, man, that's depressing.

Still, I'd love to have the option to turn on the old compressed sound effects taken right out of the old version if that's possible. I can understand why most people would rather hear clear sound effects but these old ones are so close to my heart <3 that it really doesn't matter to me if they sound fuzzy.

Not as obvious if you're not familiar, just as a bit of fun trivia: I've always been dead-pan convinced that the original laugh was taken from the speech synthesis included with every boxed Amiga 500's workbench OS. Sounds 100% exactly like it, all you'd needed to do was to type in "hah, hah, hah" and pitch it accordingly. [Though Dott was amongst the first LA adventure games that eventually didn't see an Amiga port, which came as a bit of a shock to users back then, as unlike in much of the States, Commodore machines were quite popular for gaming in Europe, including the Amiga].

Was even used in some games back then, though it's a bit of madness. ;-) Pretty impressive tech for having its origins deeply rooted in the 1980s still though, when for your average IBM compatible it was all CGA/EGA and internal beeper sounds.

Yep, this is one of the most memorable sound effects in the game to me, the replacement doesn’t have the same ‘awkwardness’ about it that the original had.

The sound is coming from an old voice synthesis box from an inflatable toy, it being ‘low quality’ only makes it more accurate, even in the context of the remaster.

An option to have all sounds that couldn’t be tracked down in higher quality use the originals rather than replacements would be great, but I’m sure only a small % of players would even notice so don’t expect it to get priority :)

Edit: Typos

Yeah it's not a huge problem but (eventually) having the option would make the remaster even better than it is.

This is one of those cases where nostalgia is clouding things, if you ask me. I always (always) thought that the tantacle sound and the clown laugh were badly done. The former was too strong in the mix, the latter just never worked for me. (Surely the joke is that the laugh should be mocking -- making you want to hit it).

There's times when changes ruin things (MI:SE ruining jokes, etc) but there's times when there's a reaction simply because there's a difference - and that's what this feels like to me. I don't think any new player is missing out due to this stuff.

This is one of those cases where nostalgia is clouding things, if you ask me. I always (always) thought that the tantacle sound and the clown laugh were badly done. The former was too strong in the mix, the latter just never worked for me. (Surely the joke is that the laugh should be mocking -- making you want to hit it).

There's times when changes ruin things (MI:SE ruining jokes, etc) but there's times when there's a reaction simply because there's a difference - and that's what this feels like to me. I don't think any new player is missing out due to this stuff.

I'm sure newcomers couldn't care less whether it's one type of explosion sound they are hearing in a certain scene or another one. But if one sound just generally packs much more of a punch than the other then I believe both newcomers and old fans can agree that the more powerful one should be used if they are both available in a good quality.

The laugh worked for me because it was so awkward and fake. It matched it's later purpose in that it's incredibly obvious that it's insincere/fake when interpreted as a real human laugh, yet is still accepted as genuine. Much like the other items used at the time.

You're right though. I'm commenting primarily because it's different when there is really no need for it to be in this instance as the source of the sound in-game is an old toy-grade voice synthesiser (not an abstract sound like many others), which the original lower quality audio can reproduce just fine IMO.

I think it's a good point that this is one sound effect that didn't need to be improved in quality - but actually, I am fine with the way the new version sounds.

Sign in to follow this