KestrelPi

Those 3D Models

Interesting little tidbit from Spaff on Twitter:

We have the original 3D files and have been able to open them… mostly :)

So, if you're not aware quite a lot of Full Throttle was 3D modelled and converted to 2D. Particularly the vehicles and some of the road environments. It looks like pretty lousy 3D nowadays, but it seems like they might have a base on which to improve these. Which is excellent! I always thought this would be one of the biggest challenges with FT.

Oh man! That's great news! The 3D environment looked the worst. If they can match the intended style, that would be wonderful.

Wow, I didn't expect them to be able to use the original 3D files with this. Though yeah, they probably won't be able to use them as is and need to rework them a great deal. But at least the modelers will have a base to work over.

If they can take the original models, but update the texture work. That would work well.

I have the original Theater Poster for this, so I can say they did texture the bike pretty well...  at least for the time period.  It just doesn't show up in the compressed video, limited palette or low-res sprites very well.  I'm just glad they (might) have the original exhaust pipes... there are so many that it would take months to model all those again from scratch. :P

I'm not sure the level of detail on the poster art would correspond to in-game models...

That makes sense (why make the poster artist remodel the bike from scratch?), but I would think it likely that it was fully retextured/painted over for that poster. There certainly seem to be a few differences to the bike seen in-game.

Anyway, depending on how the Remastered Edition team convert the vehicle models to 2D (converting it to match the 2D character art may be a lot trickier in HD), the level of texturing on the 3D models may not be that important...

Edited by TimeGentleman

I hope they do a few making-of videos, so we can find out sooner than later!  I can't wait to see people actually doing something with it.

On 8/13/2016 at 5:34 PM, TimeGentleman said:

Anyway, depending on how the Remastered Edition team convert the vehicle models to 2D (converting it to match the 2D character art may be a lot trickier in HD), the level of texturing on the 3D models may not be that important...

Considering the art is cel-shaded, you're probably right.

Is this a use of 'cel-shaded' I don't know? I take it to mean the technique used by games like XIII or Zelda Wind-Waker to make 3D models look 2D. I assume you don't mean it's cell animation?

I just meant it as a term for two-tone shading like a cartoon. Nothing more. I've heard it used in that way before 3D rendering was a thing in video games so that's how I've always used it. Whether it meant 3D rendering or not. Whatever, I guess I meant cel-animated then? *shrug*

Edited by MusicallyInspired

Cel animation is short for celluloid animation - i.e. hand-painting onto celluloid in the manner of old cartoons - so I can see why you associate the term with two-tone shading but it doesn't apply to FT either.

Fine. Whatever it's called. That's just what we called it. How would you describe the standard 2D two-tone shading cartoon animation art style then?

Anyway, my whole point was making the 3D models fit into the art style of the 2D art might be more challenging in HD compared to VGA where it's less of an issue.

I wasn't snippy. I did take your replies as overly-pedantic and somewhat frustrating at points in time when I was overly tired and for that I apologize as it certainly came across that way, but it came through more harshly than I intended even then. However, the question was a real one, not sarcastic and not a snippy quip. How would you describe the standard 2D two-tone shading cartoon animation art style used in games like Full Throttle and Sam & Max? I'm genuinely curious for the proper term here.

Okay, no worries. I don't know if there's an established term for it, I'd probably call it something similar to your description - two-tone cartoon art.

Wow. They re-rendered them? Amazing. The videos from the trailer look absolutely crisp. It seems they've redrawn everything... including the videos!

What do you mean by "redrawn the videos", you mean the cutscenes?

Edited by TimeGentleman

I mean the videos. Some cutscenes are videos (encoded with Vince Lee's INSANE), whereas some are just normal cutscenes. Some of the scenes in the trailer were videos in the original game (with encoding artefacts), but they've redrawn in highdef for the remaster.

Ahh, I see what you mean. You mean anything that's not 'in-engine', basically? I tend to bundle it all together under the umbrella term 'cutscene' in my head :)

Edited by TimeGentleman

We are going over every 3D asset and remodeling them when totally necessary to get new clean UVs and appropriate mesh resolution. All of the materials will be totally redone (with respect given to the source), and we will be leveraging things like ambient occlusion, global illumination, final gather and custom shaders to create a nice crisp version of the rendered art that captures the same feel as the original but with much better lighting. The idea is to not stray from the original art as much as possible, but to leverage modern 3D tools to allow those elements to sit better in the scenes with the rest of the 2D art. What we have already shown is still very early and is getting better every day. For example, Ben's bike in front of the Kickstand has gone through a bunch of revisions since that screen was released to address some of the lighting and shading issues people have mentioned. I really wanted to re-render all of those frames before sending it off in the wild since I noticed the same thing, but we unfortunately ran out of time for that deadline. One thing I will say is that even for 3D files that were created in 1994 in 3D Studio r3 for DOS, the original art team created some really impressive and clean 3D meshes. They were VERY thoughtful for how they built each mesh, so our team has really been impressed with how little we actually needed to clean up their work.

That does sound very good indeed :)

And wow, 3D Studio R3, that's been a while. I started with R4 for DOS and during my professional life I lived through each iteration of 3ds max starting at version 1. The DOS version was a really sweet tool for its time though :)