Sign in to follow this  
Joe Mudd

Fixed bugs from the original game.

Remember how Monkey Island 1 and 2 were practically glitch-free, but then the Special Editions came along and they were an absolute mess, with glitches, errors and mistakes all over the place? Well first of all, it's a relief that DoTT Remastered is (for the most part) NOT like that.

Secondly, I've noticed that errors from the original DoTT have in fact been fixed in the Remastered edition! Here are two I've found so far:

1) Laverne's voice clips in the original occasionally played at the wrong pitch. "I don't think I can put that in the Chron-o-John" being the most obvious example. The one that frightened me as a child was her extremely husky voice when you look at the right-handed hammer. "You could crack somebody's skull with this." All these years, I just assumed that either the voice actress changed her mind between recordings. Or of course, it was just another part of Laverne's crazy personality.

2) When the IRS guys show up to kidnap Doctor Fred, one of them originally said "Doctor Fred Edison? Internal Revenue. We'd like to go over some of your records with you. Come with us." When you rewind the tape and play it in slow motion, the "We'd like to go over some of your records with you." part of his speech is missing. In Remastered, this has been fixed; they just swapped the two lines around so he says "Come with us." first.

Yes, these are miniscule changes, but they're things that have been bugging me for the last 23 years. ;) I just wanna know, has anyone else found any bugfixes or amendments in the Remastered edition? Would Double Fine care to tell us about any little tidy ups they made during production?

I don't recall enountering any gltiches on either SE version of MI games. Or if there were any, they weren't anythign really severe.

Wow, nice to see they were fixed!

@tomimt The MI:SE had all kinds of glitches. It literally ruined jokes at times. I didn't notice anything too awful with the MI2:SE though.

@tomimt The MI:SE had all kinds of glitches. It literally ruined jokes at times. I didn't notice anything too awful with the MI2:SE though.

Which jokes were ruined in the Monkey Island 1 special edition? I didn't notice anything like that.

MI1SE especially has a lot of stray pixels in the backgrounds where they've clearly just painted over the original image and not checked properly to see if they had actually finished. There's also a lot of copy pasting of elements in the forest backgrounds. Stan's cool, iconic sign has been replaced with what looks like a curvy Comic Sans. The text speed is set quite low so characters stall between lines of dialogue, though you can fix that manually in Classic Mode.

MI2SE makes a complete pig's ear of iMuse. A LOT of cues are missing and some of them go off at completely the wrong time. For instance, Guybrush sees someone in a LeChuck costume and freaks out. The dramatic sting that was supposed to accompany this moment doesn't go off until FAR too late.

They kept the dynamic endings for Woodtick tracks, but Stan's were removed entirely and Largo only has one. The Ville De La Booty music is missing entirely, along with its costume shop variant, instead they play the Mardi Gras Fish Fry music in Booty Town and for some reason they processed it to sound like it's coming from a distant speaker. It's also not the same song, though they are very similar.

I can honestly say I didn't notice any of those..

MI1SE especially has a lot of stray pixels in the backgrounds where they've clearly just painted over the original image and not checked properly to see if they had actually finished. There's also a lot of copy pasting of elements in the forest backgrounds. Stan's cool, iconic sign has been replaced with what looks like a curvy Comic Sans. The text speed is set quite low so characters stall between lines of dialogue, though you can fix that manually in Classic Mode.

MI2SE makes a complete pig's ear of iMuse. A LOT of cues are missing and some of them go off at completely the wrong time. For instance, Guybrush sees someone in a LeChuck costume and freaks out. The dramatic sting that was supposed to accompany this moment doesn't go off until FAR too late.

They kept the dynamic endings for Woodtick tracks, but Stan's were removed entirely and Largo only has one. The Ville De La Booty music is missing entirely, along with its costume shop variant, instead they play the Mardi Gras Fish Fry music in Booty Town and for some reason they processed it to sound like it's coming from a distant speaker. It's also not the same song, though they are very similar.

Imuse and the soundtrack was one of the biggest strengths of MI2. If they didn't do that properly, then they missed a lot of the game, unfortunately.

Imuse and the soundtrack was one of the biggest strengths of MI2. If they didn't do that properly, then they missed a lot of the game, unfortunately.

Space was an issue, at the time XBLA had a 2GB limit, so the choice was made to keep as much static as possible with OGG transitions. To perfectly recreate iMuse style, they'd have to have each music layer as it's own track and have multiple transitions at parts when specific insyruments changed, etc, which would have increased the audio size by a huge amount.

I distinctly remember the PS3 version of MI1 crashing if you tried to skip too much dialogue in the opening of the game, which made the speed-run achievement nigh impossible.

Not sure if they patched it or not, but it certainly soured me on the whole thing.

Or of course, it was just another part of Laverne's crazy personality.
That's how I always saw it.

Look more closely at the forest backgrounds in the original game.

I guess because there are a lot of forest locations and they're meant to be quite confusing, a lot of the screens reuse pieces of eachother. Sometimes you will only notice half the screen changing. This is just more noticeable in the SE, and I'll be honest I didn't realise that about the original until after I'd played SE.

But yes, that said, the MI special editions still suck. The best way to play that game nowadays is to use the talkie patch, imo.

Which jokes were ruined in the Monkey Island 1 special edition? I didn't notice anything like that.

It's been a while, but one of them that leaps to mind is when the cooks tells Guybrush he's clearly in love. How can he tell? It's written all over his face:

q0kKasX.jpg

In the original he turns around and, sure enough, the text for love appears over his face. In the SE they narrated all of the written text... including that joke. Meaning when he turns around you hear a voice say "love" instead seeing any text, rendering the joke meaningless.

There was also lines that you couldn't get to thanks to the interface, but as I say it's been a while.

Jenni, have you seen the Scumm-U tutorial that Aric Wilmunder just released? Amazing insider knowledge!

iMuse transitions in MI2 (PC version at least) are actually working and doing their awesome job, maybe it's an issue related to console versions?

Oh, iMuse transitions work perfectly in all versions of MI2SE, on the occasions when they actually bothered to put them in. In fact, I was stunned at how well they pulled off all the Woodtick variations (though it wasn't 100% accurate and they did cheat by removing one instrument). I'm just saying, there are a lot of missing or broken cues, and they really should have hired someone who had worked on the original game, or at least hired someone to study it properly and make sure it was all implemented properly.

I'd also like to add that I really love the Monkey Island Special Editions, and I prefer playing them over the originals. It's just that the level of care, attention and competence that has gone into DoTT Remastered gives you the hindsight of noticing just what a sloppy, slapdash and half-arsed job they did with the Monkey Island remakes. And I did notice it was all a bit shoddy back in 2009; I just assumed that level of production value was the best we deserved in the modern age of gaming. Now Double Fine have raised the bar and shown that we can get a 95% flawless remake. Not to mention that they're listening to us reporting the bugs and mistakes AS I SPEAK and will likely patch out those last few little flaws.

MI2SE got ONE patch which basically just fixed the absolutely unbearable glitches (Remember when the singing of Dem Bones would gradually go out of sync as the song went on?) and left the game mostly the same.

Ooh, also good; DoTT Remastered uses the adlib soundtrack for Classic Mode. As in, the version most of us remember. For MI2 they tried and utterly failed to emulate the MT-32 soundtrack, meaning "classic" mode now sounded completely unfamiliar to everyone.

Oh yeah, sorry, now I see what you mean! I agree with most of your points, even though I can't think as MI2:SE as a complete failure, while, IMHO, MI1:SE is kinda bad.

I have to say though... Even though in DOTT they are using a FMOD music engine which is kinda confortable when using multiple soundfonts on the same midi file, this makes looping music wrong, out of time, and also the transitions are out of time. But I guess this is tied to the engine they're using.

I didn´t have glitches or bugs in the Monkey Island SEs. :)

But I have a bug in the remastered of Dott. When the mummie wins the show and the commentaries show up the music plays in a loop and I only can exit the game via the taskmanger because it get stuck then.

@Joe Mudd

Yes the old version of the music in the classic mode in MI 2 sounds bad. Sadly. And I don´t like MT-32. It´s a shame because whole Woodtick in the old midi version is one of the best music tracks ever. :)

But I have a bug in the remastered of Dott. When the mummie wins the show and the commentaries show up the music plays in a loop and I only can exit the game via the taskmanger because it get stuck then.

If you want this fixed, you should report it here: http://support.doublefine.com

If you want this fixed, you should report it here: http://support.doublefine.com

Thank you. I saw it´s reported but for PS 4.