Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mootsy

DOTT Sequel, tv show, movie..ideas

Just wanted to firstly say that the remaster is just sheer joy! People new to the game are going to love it and the old fans will get a huge kick out of it...

whilst playing through the game again, I kept thinking this game could so easily translate to other formats and transition really easily into it's own cartoon, tv show etc..

Imagine Tim Burton making a film based on Day of the Tentacle and Mansion...

It's also the kind of game that could easily transition into a sequel ...even using ideas from MM and new characters..etc..

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say..

I also wanted to talk about merchandise...

I'd totally be up for buying the DOTT t-shirt and coffee mug, phone case....etc....lol..

Just wanted to firstly say that the remaster is just sheer joy! People new to the game are going to love it and the old fans will get a huge kick out of it...

whilst playing through the game again, I kept thinking this game could so easily translate to other formats and transition really easily into it's own cartoon, tv show etc..

Imagine Tim Burton making a film based on Day of the Tentacle and Mansion...

It's also the kind of game that could easily transition into a sequel ...even using ideas from MM and new characters..etc..

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say..

I'd totally be up for buying the DOTT t-shirt and coffee mug, phone case....etc....lol..

Not exactly what you're looking for, but since you didn't mention it, you might be surprised to learn that there was a Canadian TV series loosely based on Maniac Mansion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maniac_Mansion_(TV_series)

I do think DotT would make a pretty good cartoon show, especially nowadays, with modern cartoon sensibilities so tuned toward quirky comedies accessible to children but entertaining to adults... it'd be a good fit.

I just hope Tim Schafer makes good on his promise that a third game would have the entirety of Day of the Tentacle playable within it, along with Maniac Mansion still playable inside that. :D

I just hope Tim Schafer makes good on his promise that a third game would have the entirety of Day of the Tentacle playable within it, along with Maniac Mansion still playable inside that. :D

it would easily be possible. Especially if we talk the pixelated version, but even the remaster af well.

Not exactly what you're looking for, but since you didn't mention it, you might be surprised to learn that there was a Canadian TV series loosely based on Maniac Mansion

So when Dr Fred was talking about that TV show he never got royalties for... oh snap!

I have never heard of this!

Just watched the opening titles on youtube. I am afraid of what I will see if I continue on...

So when Dr Fred was talking about that TV show he never got royalties for... oh snap!

I have never heard of this!

Just watched the opening titles on youtube. I am afraid of what I will see if I continue on...

It is only very loosely based on the game. Very, VERY loosely. VERY VERY VERY- ...you get the idea.

I think the only similarities are that there's a Dr. Fred, a nurse Edna and a meteor... that doesn't actually appear in the show. And I'm pretty sure that Dr. Fred is not a crazed mad scientist but just a regular guy who maybe sometimes does science. There are also none of the kids as far as I know, no tentacles, no Weird Ed, no dead Cousin Ted...

It was basically just a regular-ass sitcom family except one guy got turned into a fly and a baby's body was turned into that of an adult...

So much wasted potential.

A show about a family of actual maniacs, deranged killers, murdering lunatics, with pet tentacles, a mummy in the shower, man-eating plants, a radioactive pool, and their own arcade (!) How awesome would that be!?

But they're not just deranged killers, they also have relatable problems. Like Daddy bringing dead bodies into the basement late at night. :D

I just love how they treat their family drama in general.

"He hasn't been at dinner for 5 years..."

"YEAH, SO!!!"

If they made a show like that it would be awesome. Kinda like the adams family except... not really.

Yes, I would also totally buy DOTT merchandise!

In fact, I'd like to get some things from the DF Store, but since I payed $ 48.00 in shipping last time I ordered there, I would really prefer to combine as many items as possible! So if there is a chance of DOTT merchandise, I'll hold off on ordering until that is available.

In fact, I'd like to get some things from the DF Store, but since I payed $ 48.00 in shipping last time I ordered there, I would really prefer to combine as many items as possible! So if there is a chance of DOTT merchandise, I'll hold off on ordering until that is available.

Green & Purple Tentacle Plushies. Ted plushies. Plushies of the all the characters.

Green & Purple Tentacle Plushies. Ted plushies. Plushies of the all the characters.

Speaking of merchandise, if they do make any, they NEED to make a suction cups & stripes-style tentacle windsock! It just NEEDS to happen!

end.jpg

Speaking of merchandise, if they do make any, they NEED to make a suction cups & stripes-style tentacle windsock! It just NEEDS to happen!

I'd totally buy and install a flag pole just to be able to hang that in front of my house! :)

Well, I do need some DOTT merchandise. :D

I definitely think it'd work great as a cartoon series. Heck, I'd be up for getting involved in the making a DOTT spin-off cartoon series myself!

Don't know if anyone here is familiar with the web comic Day After Day of the Tentacle, which was apparently last updated in 2007, but it was a nice little fan-made comic strip in which Bernard, Hoagie, and Laverne had all moved into the mansion for reasons unknown, and I think that'd be a good starting point for a cartoon. Maybe their living costs go up and they can no longer afford their old apartment, so they move into the mansion where Dr Fred has them pay their rent in blood, sweat, and tears by running wacky errands for him? He'd probably get them to be his test subjects for his latest inventions, perhaps have them run the motel from time to time, and so on. Something to that effect.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If another sequel is made I'd want it to be Maniac Mansion 3, not Day of the Tentacle 2. Break the trend again and do something different. Don't be like Hollywood and churn out direct sequel after sequel. At least a new concept would be more interesting. DOTT was great but I don't want a sequel to that.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

7 hours ago, johnnytoxic said:

Do a kickstarter for a sequel. I'm sure it would get funded.

The problem with Kickstarter is that It's not as hot as it used to be. People are a lot more leery of it dude to so many failed Kickstarters and projects that some backers felt didn't live up to what was promised. Part of that problem is people not having a clear idea of what's happening when they help fund a project. Just like any other investment in something that doesn't exist yet there are a lot of risks.

Add onto that the fact that it's almost impossible to get funding without giving people a clear idea of what you're making  while knowing you can't create something artistic without altering it as you create it. That's one of the reasons why so many devs get burn out so fast in this industry.

All the money people want one thing and you want to do that thing but maybe you realize this or that thing they want won't work or you come up with a better idea yet they still want that thing. Then you realize It's going to take longer because good things take time to make but people are naturally going to want to see some kind of return on their money.

It's a lot of pressure and I don't blame DF for being leery of using it unless they absolutely have to. The successes are fun but they don't come without massive drawbacks. 

Edited by ziddersroofurry

The problem isn't Kickstarter, it's the unlikelihood that Tim (or Dave) would like to work on a sequel... especially one they wouldn't own. The chances of a sequel appearing helmed by them is pretty much none.

Sign in to follow this