Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EMarley

Anyone want to give me a hint?

Five hours in and for the first time playing this game, I'm stuck.

I have a battery that needs re-charging, and I think to do it I have to wash the carriage to make it rain. I need soap for that though, and I don't know how to obtain it. Maybe from the maid when I call her to clean George's room, but nothing I try does anything.

I also need to get Ben to use a key (or perhaps a fork?) with his experiment somehow, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I also need to get the tentacle guard to chase away a human so I can access the basement through the grandfather clock and I suppose win the human competition, maybe the two are related. I just need the horse's teeth for that (and to get rid of the competitor), but I don't know how to get them off the horse. I tried giving it gum or using invisible ink in the glass, but nada.

I've got Ed painted red in the room where Dr. Fred is captive, but my attempts to free Fred with a scalpel or wake him with coffee don't work and I don't know how to get the agent to go for the decoy instead of Dr. Fred when he enters the room.

I suspect there must be something going on with the cat with the mechanical mouse, the cat in the future and the mouseholes but I don't know what.

Anyone feel like nudging me in the right direction with any of these?

PS. My favourite puzzle so far was obtaining the tiny sweater, although I have no idea what to do with it.

Maybe from the maid when I call her to clean George's room, but nothing I try does anything.

Gee... maybe if the room was messier she'd stay in there longer and you'd have time to plunder the cart?

Sounds like you are on the right track though, with most things ;)

Man, I wish I was able to solve the puzzles again! Unfortunately 20 years isn't long enough to have wiped my memory. I got through the game in a bit over three hours the night it came out. Still fun though!

Gee... maybe if the room was messier she'd stay in there longer and you'd have time to plunder the cart?

Got it! Thank you. I had tried making a mess before, but I was overthinking it, trying to use red paint, corrective fluid or even stick gum to the bed xD Let's see if I can make more headway now!

Edit: Hey, I figured out the part with Dr. Fred as well. Very funny animations :)

PS. My favourite puzzle so far was obtaining the tiny sweater, although I have no idea what to do with it.

Maybe there is something tiny that can wear it....

I thought it might be for the hamster, but I have no reason to think the hamster needs a sweater so far, it's happily in the tank in its owner's room. The cats don't seem to need a sweater either. And I haven't seen any mice come out of the mouseholes. Maybe eventually something will come up :)

I've still made no headway with the horse's teeth/human competition/tracker tentacle guard. And Dr. Fred won't sign the contract for the monies. And Ben is asking for something lightweight and waterproof, hmmm.

I thought it might be for the hamster, but I have no reason to think the hamster needs a sweater so far, it's happily in the tank in its owner's room. The cats don't seem to need a sweater either. And I haven't seen any mice come out of the mouseholes. Maybe eventually something will come up :)

I've still made no headway with the horse's teeth/human competition/tracker tentacle guard. And Dr. Fred won't sign the contract for the monies. And Ben is asking for something lightweight and waterproof, hmmm.

You're in a happy place, relax and enjoy! :)

You may need to progress a little bit more to know for sure. (Avoid the screenshot thread for a spoiler)

You may need to progress a little bit more to know for sure. (Avoid the screenshot thread for a spoiler)

Figured out the sweater (lmao! my favourite puzzle chain got even better) and charged the battery. Aww, it's looking like I'm almost done with the game. Still stumped by that horse/future lab access, but I discovered that I can use the invisible ink on almost everyone, next time I play I'll try to get the people I missed :) My favourite jokes so far were all of Hoagie's flag suggestions to Betsy Ross xD

I'd like to give you a little hint on the future lab, because there's a line of dialogue that is crucial to figuring it out but it only plays once, which is really harsh, but I'd have to assume you'd made a (relatively obvious) logical step prior to that already. So, before I do that, have you got any thoughts on how to get access?

How would you distract the human catcher with "cartoon logic?"

Maybe you can make the horse fall asleep? What are some boring things?

I suspect there must be something going on with the cat with the mechanical mouse, the cat in the future and the mouseholes but I don't know what.

You don't have to worry about the mouseholes yet. About the cats... You are looking at chain of puzzle and to find how they link, you'll have to find the begining and start solving the puzzles.

1. It starts in the past.

2. The solution to the first part has similarities with the way how you saved Dr. Fred from IRS.

3. It ends in the future.

4. You'll have to disguise your feline friend.

I read you got this solved already, but the logic behind the need for this is explained through dialog.

Thank you, everyone!

Maybe you can make the horse fall asleep? What are some boring things?

Managed to get that already! It occured to me while I was reading the book to everyone I could to hear their reactions.

I'd like to give you a little hint on the future lab, because there's a line of dialogue that is crucial to figuring it out but it only plays once, which is really harsh, but I'd have to assume you'd made a (relatively obvious) logical step prior to that already. So, before I do that, have you got any thoughts on how to get access?

Hmm, well. I need to get the tracker tentacle to chase a human. I reckon the two mostly likely ways of accomplishing this is to either free the prisoners in the cell (it sounds like the tentacle guarding the cell is open to bribes, or just something that'll relieve his boredom), or by creating a fake human puppet (maybe if I obtain the mechanical mouse I can attach it to the Elvis lamp and have it zoom around, or something? Or maybe use the cat that's hanging out on the rooftop? There's that deflated clown I might be able to use as a human suit).

Also, I need to get my competition disqualified and for that I need him to accept a gift from me. Dunno what I can offer him though. I doubt it's the barf that's still stuck to the ceiling. Or maybe it is! Once I pass it through the Recyclotron I might get a cupcake out of it, or something, lol.

I read you got this solved already, but the logic behind the need for this is explained through dialog.

Not looking at your other clues just yet (thanks for the format you presented them in, though!), but yeah, it was perfectly clear what had to be done as events unfolded, but when I wrote that I hadn't even tried picking up the hamster from its cage, I guess I assumed one couldn't because it looked completely sealed.

I've got no complaints about any of the puzzles so far, they all had lots of clues, there's been none I solved merely by accident.

Okay, you're not quite there so I won't highlight the line of dialogue for you yet as you may catch it yourself.

I'm not sure where you got the idea about a gift for your competition, but you certainly need to get him disqualified!

but you certainly need to get him disqualified!

1. Solution starts from the present.

2. Green Tentacle's room is the right place to look for it.

3. Maybe it looks real enough to get someone disqualified?

Yay, finished! I started all over again to do it on Steam this time, and that helped with two of the puzzles I had been stuck on:

1) First time around, I missed what happened when you turn the music on in Green Tentacle's room. This time I was ready for it and paid attention, and once I saw what happened that set me on the way to figuring out how to make the fake vomit fall down completely. Everything that followed was immediate.

2) Serendipitously, I forgot where to obtain the left-handed hammer, and in the process of searching for it I discovered the squeaking of the bed. Again, from them onwards I knew what to do. TimeGentleman, is the fear of skunks the clue that you said was only mentioned once?

3) At this point all I needed to do to continue was to get Dr. Fred to sign the contract. First I looked here but it seems that was not one of the ones I got hints about. In the end I lost patience and looked it up, and facepalmed hard.

I loved the last stage, really funny. Great game :D Here's my page of scribbles:

CIMG2057.jpg

CIMG2057.jpg.e3586e0aacbece348df95589ad2

Sign in to follow this