Sign in to follow this  
CrashFu

Which Existing DF games would be cool in VR?

So we already know that Double Fine is working on a VR game for the PSVR: Psychonauts and the Rhombus of Ruin (or just Psychonauts 1.5 as I like to call it) but why stop there?

With the miracle of VR INJECTION TECHNOLOGY (IE the VorpX software) existing, non-VR games can be granted stereoscopic 3D, stretched to a maximum field-of-view, and sometimes given other VR features like head-tracking.

I should be getting my own Rift in the near future, and VorpX will be launching an update that allows for user-created game profiles, so you can bet I'm eager to use it on as many of my favorite developers' games as possible.

What out of Double Fine's existing catalogue do YOU think would be well-suited to VR conversion? What would YOU like to see?

Probably Brutal Legend, just because it has all those bad ass metal vistas and landscapes.

Truthfully, it is not a good idea to port older titles into VR without heavily reworking them first. It's a really good recipe for nasuea, vertigo, puking, and an overall subpar experience. Blasting along in the Deuce and being able to look around with a headset sounds really fun until your brain starts screaming at you for making it think you're going R17 through the Razor Fields while simultaneously being parked in your computer chair.

Definitely try them out and let us know what it's like though. Just keep a bucket next to you.

Truthfully, it is not a good idea to port older titles into VR without heavily reworking them first. It's a really good recipe for nasuea, vertigo, puking, and an overall subpar experience. Blasting along in the Deuce and being able to look around with a headset sounds really fun until your brain starts screaming at you for making it think you're going R17 through the Razor Fields while simultaneously being parked in your computer chair.

Definitely try them out and let us know what it's like though. Just keep a bucket next to you.

Haha, for sure. It's worth mentioning however that every person's susceptibility to VR Sickness is different; Some people get nauseous even from games and experiences specifically designed to be comfortable (as in actual made-for-VR games). Other people seem almost completely immune to it.

IIRC, traditional first or third person games up-converted to VR tend to have like a 50% rate of nausea. Obviously that's a pretty large number of people to be left out, but those not bothered tend to be very interested in VR-injecting everything they can think of.

Once I get my Rift and try this out, I'll definitely let you guys know... and if I end up making any videos or something like that, I'll be sure to put up a disclaimer about the nausea risk, lol.

I don't think I would drive the Deuce through a VR Brutal Legend, since going that fast makes it more difficult to really take in the view. I am really interested in what I am hearing from a lot of the critics getting their hands on VR. I think initially people believed that games in VR would be kinda like the games we already play, only with motion controls and virtual environments.

But then I hear reports that the Vive forces you to stay your actual height, so if you are a little girl trying to play job simulator and need to reach something on a high shelf, your dad still needs to lift you up in the VR world because you are still your actual height. That's interesting!

But I'm also hearing a lot of critics say things like the kinds of interactions that seem fun and interesting in controller games aren't necessarily interesting in VR, or they don't feel sufficient. They are underwhelming. While at the same time, games that are often considered underwhelming in traditional format---e.g. walking sims like Dear Esther or even something as hard to understand/appreciate as Proteus---those kinds of games are probably THE BEST for VR.

At least at this moment in time where VR is still a novel experience and people are just still mesmerized by the magic of it. I know that I would personally buy every single walking simulator in existence for VR. Sign me up!

A neat thing about VorpX is that it also includes a nice Virtual Cinema mode, where the game is just played like normal on a screen in front of you... but the screen itself, and the entire room around it, exists in virtual reality. (And if you want to play a game in stereoscopic 3D but NOT in full VR, that's possible in the virtual cinema as well).

How cool would it be to play the majority of something like Brutal Legend in the normal Virtual Cinema mode, but then be able to cut to full VR view when you're just standing somewhere peaceful and want to take in the view as if you were actually standing there? A lot of 3rd-person games do have a "first-person look-around" button, after all. That may or may not already be possible in VorpX, I'm not entirely sure..

Back to the more general topic, though, when I see people saying that VR-Injection isn't worth it, that's like hearing someone say "If I can't eat a 5-star steak then I should just have value-brand hotdogs for dinner instead". In my case, I know that games and experiences made specifically for VR are going to be better and smoother than VR-injected existing games, BUT there will always be traditional games in my collection, and given the option of playing them in stereoscopic 3D, with an ultra-large field of view, and possibly incorporating head-tracking in some way? Well, I think that's always worth a try! :D (unless of course the nausea is a concern for you)

Coincidentally, I'm the kind of person who keeps the '3D switch' on my 3DS permanently at the maximum setting; It's never bothered me in the slightest and I've always felt that any game rendered in 3D just looks better when viewed in 3D... I mean, stereoscopic 3D is how we view the world around us every day, so viewing our media in that depth just seems like a logical progression to me.