Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Mudd

Unofficial Soundtrack Released!

Is there any chance of a remastered soundtrack release from you fine chaps at Double Fine?

Is there any chance of a remastered soundtrack release from you fine chaps at Double Fine?

+ the amount of people this will take.

I would sell my soul for this!

I found a solution. Grab Double Fine Explorer https://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/doublefine-explorer. Run the program and navigate to the folder in which you installed the game. Open tenta.cle. Click view and select fsb files. Then open audio/iMUSEClient_Music.fsb. After that a new window will open with all the music files used, both classic and remastered. Click Save All Files and the chose the folder in which to save. The files are in mp3 320 quality. You will have to delete some short files that are not part of the soundtrack. Have fun! (and don't post them online!)

I found a solution. Grab Double Fine Explorer https://quickandeasysoftware.net/software/doublefine-explorer. Run the program and navigate to the folder in which you installed the game. Open tenta.cle. Click view and select fsb files. Then open audio/iMUSEClient_Music.fsb. After that a new window will open with all the music files used, both classic and remastered. Click Save All Files and the chose the folder in which to save. The files are in mp3 320 quality. You will have to delete some short files that are not part of the soundtrack. Have fun! (and don't post them online!)

I had no idea this tool existed, but I'm grateful!

I've always been so fond of the music in this game - ever since I was a child! :)

I tell you what, these MP3 files are WAAAY harder to faithfully stitch together than the files I had access to when I made my soundtracks for MI2SE and Sam & Max Season 3.

...Is what I imagine somebody would say if they were putting together a soundtrack for DoTT: Remastered.

I tell you what, these MP3 files are WAAAY harder to faithfully stitch together than the files I had access to when I made my soundtracks for MI2SE and Sam & Max Season 3.

...Is what I imagine somebody would say if they were putting together a soundtrack for DoTT: Remastered.

The soundtrack for the special editions is included in the Special Edition Collection which includes both games, the soundtrack, concept art and many more goodies. So I took mine from there. But this is quite a challenge. If I find a better way to extract them or an alternate source I will post it here.

Yes, that came out about a year after I slaved over my own MI2SE soundtrack.

Theirs is mostly better than mine...though they missed a track. ;)

Yes, that came out about a year after I slaved over my own MI2SE soundtrack.

Theirs is mostly better than mine...though they missed a track. ;)

And some of the tracks are arranged differently than the in-game versions (apart from the obvious editing to combine different cues, some tracks use different instruments than their in-game counterparts), for example the Main Theme.

(The YouTube BB code won't FRICKING WORK!)

Okay, it's only 21 seconds long, but still...

Generally I'd say go for the official soundtrack over my attempts at piecing the tracks together from over five years ago.

HOWEVER...my Woodtick mix has the splendid ending to the outdoor "hub" theme included, which then takes you directly to the peaceful Scabb Island map theme. On the official OST you hear the Scabb Island theme BEFORE Woodtick, which simply fades out once it's been through all the variations. It just doesn't flow anywhere near as nicely, in my opinion.

There's also their bizarre sequencing of Captain Dread's theme, which goes on and on and on and on and on and on and then jarringly switches tracks in a way that is far from seamless.

While we're on the subject of MI2 music, can we talk about the most underrated track in the whole series?

They transformed what was originally just a slightly more melodic version of the Phatt Island theme into this absolutely BEAUTIFUL track. It's a shame you barely get to hear it over the loud waterfall sound effects, because...my god, it's stunning.

While we’re on the subject of MI2 music, can we talk about the most underrated track in the whole series?

Indeed a great track! Almost didn't recognize it.

The MI2SE ost was indeed pretty great. (If you can get over the missing iMuse transitions and the missing accordion of the Men of low moral fiber. ....well, that and the bad timing of the cutscene music but that's not really the fault of the music. and then there's- ....but I digress.)

Nobody's ever mentioned it, but I will always miss the dreamlike, choir-ish "Waaaaaah" sounds in the Woodtick theme. So peaceful and mysterious. I guess the iMuse coding necessary for that particular instrument was just plain impossible to recreate, so they chucked it out entirely.

There's also the theme while exploring LeChuck's lair. When played on Adlib/Soundblaster/Whatever the fuck it's called, you know what I mean, the ScummVM default, the one you grew up with that isn't MT-32), the tension of the theme builds and builds until the melody is loud, dramatic and utterly spine-tingling. The MT32, Special Edition and Buggered Up Classic Mode versions of the track just don't have anywhere near the same level of power, majesty and gravitas of the original.

Anyway, if I WERE working on putting together the DoTT Remastered soundtrack for your listening pleasure, which I can neither confirm nor deny, I'd probably have most of the tracks ready now, all that would be left (I IMAGINE) is a few complex cutscene tracks to stitch together, plus some leftover segments that don't seem to play anywhere in the game. I could include those as bonus tracks...all hypothetically speaking, of course.

This theoretical soundtrack would go on my YouTube channel, but I wouldn't offer the tracks for free download. Exactly like my other soundtrack uploads, as you're going to hear every note of this music on YouTube in gameplay videos anyway, but giving away an album for free just wouldn't be fair on the composers. I think that's reasonable and within the law, plus both Double Fine and Disney seem pretty mellow about it. But once again, I can neither confirm nor deny that I am working on this project.

(Because if I end up with a Cease and Desist, all my hard work will have been for naught!)

There's also the theme while exploring LeChuck's lair. When played on Adlib/Soundblaster/Whatever the fuck it's called, you know what I mean, the ScummVM default, the one you grew up with that isn't MT-32), the tension of the theme builds and builds until the melody is loud, dramatic and utterly spine-tingling. The MT32, Special Edition and Buggered Up Classic Mode versions of the track just don't have anywhere near the same level of power, majesty and gravitas of the original.

YES! I'm glad someone has mentioned this. I actually remember the Amiga version being the most haunting. To be honest I think that's something that the MI2:SE got wrong: The tone at the end of the original actually went really dark. LeChuck was genuinely scary in MI2, but the voice actors (and the music) were directed towards comedy, and lightening the tone.

Nobody's ever mentioned it, but I will always miss the dreamlike, choir-ish "Waaaaaah" sounds in the Woodtick theme. So peaceful and mysterious. I guess the iMuse coding necessary for that particular instrument was just plain impossible to recreate, so they chucked it out entirely.

That's not how it works, they must have forgotten to include it, or it just didn't fit well with real instruments. But it's not a coding thing, since that engine is well capable of handling crossfades and multitrack audio playback, and the choir track is just that, an audio track ;)

YES! I'm glad someone has mentioned this. I actually remember the Amiga version being the most haunting. To be honest I think that's something that the MI2:SE got wrong: The tone at the end of the original actually went really dark. LeChuck was genuinely scary in MI2, but the voice actors (and the music) were directed towards comedy, and lightening the tone.

That's really interesting. The Monkey Islands were definitely not straight-up comedies and was a mix of genres. I also remember being terrified by Lechuck as a kid. MI3 went in the cartoony direction, and since that's where the voice actors come from, it makes sense that they tend to be more comical.

Another tone deafness that comes to mind is the fan-made Maniac Mansion Deluxe. They used the fonts and music from DOTT, but it makes no sense -- MM was barely a comedy and was far more horror-ish, which is why I can't bring myself to play the fan remake despite the improved interface.

Another tone deafness that comes to mind is the fan-made Maniac Mansion Deluxe. They used the fonts and music from DOTT, but it makes no sense -- MM was barely a comedy and was far more horror-ish, which is why I can't bring myself to play the fan remake despite the improved interface.

They probably just wanted to save work. Though, yeah, they could've just kept it a mostly silent game.

Another tone deafness that comes to mind is the fan-made Maniac Mansion Deluxe. They used the fonts and music from DOTT, but it makes no sense—MM was barely a comedy and was far more horror-ish, which is why I can’t bring myself to play the fan remake despite the improved interface.

I beg the differ. I find MM to be very amusing and can't see it as a serious game whatsoever. Especially the hamster in the microwave. I even found the dialogues to be funny. And from what I got from a LucasArts post mortem on YouTube, Ron Gilbert had some comical intentions with it. I might be wrong, of course.

They should have used the awesome NES soundtrack, which basically drove the fact that the game was blatantly made in the 80s even further into the ground.

DoTT has a very 90s feel, but that's more in the art style than anything else (apart from Hoagie's grunge look and mannerisms); the extremely cartoonish lunacy is a triumphant example of the traditional animation revival of that decade.

If they made a third game nowadays, I would want all playable characters to carry smartphones, which they use to solve effectively all of the puzzles, there would have to be a beer-chugging frat boy, an airheaded Instagram diva and an insufferably self-righteous social justice warrior. The soundtrack would all be dubstep, and the graphics would all be depicted in retro 8-bit pixel graphics.

You may have noticed that this all sounds unbearable. Absolutely, but it would cement the game as a product of its time, just like its predecessors.

They should have used the awesome NES soundtrack, which basically drove the fact that the game was blatantly made in the 80s even further into the ground.

DoTT has a very 90s feel, but that's more in the art style than anything else (apart from Hoagie's grunge look and mannerisms); the extremely cartoonish lunacy is a triumphant example of the traditional animation revival of that decade.

If they made a third game nowadays, I would want all playable characters to carry smartphones, which they use to solve effectively all of the puzzles, there would have to be a beer-chugging frat boy, an airheaded Instagram diva and an insufferably self-righteous social justice warrior. The soundtrack would all be dubstep, and the graphics would all be depicted in retro 8-bit pixel graphics.

You may have noticed that this all sounds unbearable. Absolutely, but it would cement the game as a product of its time, just like its predecessors.

Where....where..where is the +1 button? I'm clicking all over the place and I can't find it!

That is indeed an interesting idea. Makes sense.

Sadly Lucas/Disney have no interest in publishing the soundtrack to this one. Shame!

Sadly Lucas/Disney have no interest in publishing the soundtrack to this one. Shame!

Heh, I don't blame them, from a commercial point of view it makes no sense to sell a soundtrack which is basically a collection of MIDI s put through a Roland Canvas in 2016... At least people can use the extractor on their own copy of the game

I wish they'd have interest to release any of their other soundtracks (at least in download form at CD quality). I'm looking at you, "Curse of Monkey Island".

I wish they'd have interest to release any of their other soundtracks (at least in download form at CD quality). I'm looking at you, "Curse of Monkey Island".

THAT would be awesome!

Well, if you search the internet real hard... I'm not saying more. Or implying anything. In fact, I'm not even here.

Sign in to follow this