Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Monkey Mania

The Search for the Missing Sound Effects

I think these are non-commercial licenses, but I'm not completely sure. We are able to listen to each individual effect to know where to find them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as:off&rh=n:163856011,k:The+Hollywood+Edge+Sound+Effects+Library,p_n_feature_browse-bin:625150011&bbn=163856011&sort=relevancerank&keywords=The+Hollywood+Edge+Sound+Effects+Library&ie=UTF8&qid=1459973546

Here's a few to start.

Tentacle Hop: #129 "Wet, Suction-Like Impact" Cartoon Trax Vol. 5

Tentacle Plop: #114 "Splat with Light Thuddy Impact" Cartoon Trax Vol.5 (Note: First part of the sound only)

Bird/Tentacle Cough: #210 "Woman with Nagging Cough" Cartoon Trax Vol.2 (Note: Sped Up in-game)

"Ding" Sound: #142 "Desk Bell Rings" The Edge Edition Vol. 1

Edit: (This might not be the correct sound.)

Well done on finding those! Unfortunately it looks like a commercial license for each of those would come to about $300 each.

You can find the licenses if you search for the IDs of each of the sound effects:

Tentacle Plop: CRT052301

Tentalce Hop: CRT052604

Bird Cough: CRT027101

Desk Bell: TE018601

Well done on finding those! Unfortunately it looks like a commercial license for each of those would come to about $300 each.

You can find the licenses if you search for the IDs of each of the sound effects:

Tentacle Plop: CRT052301

Tentalce Hop: CRT052604

Bird Cough: CRT027101

Desk Bell: TE018601

Thanks for that. :)

I remember there were a few fanmade hacks for the Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition that fixed a few of the errors in the artwork. Hell, there was even one which replaced Guybrush's head for the entire game so he had his boyish curls from MI2SE instead of the goofy Johnny Bravo look. It made a huge difference and was a significant improvement.

Hmm...

Does anyone here have good hacking skills? Because I would CERTAINLY NOT want to suggest that perhaps somebody should work on a mod for DotT Remastered that replaces the rubbish new sound effects with uncompressed versions of the originals. That would be highly immoral, and potentially illegal, and I'd want no part in it. Now listen to me; DO NOT make this mod. I would not be very, very happy to have the original sound effects restored, and it would NOT be highly satisfying to hear the tentacle squelches, desk bell and toilet flushes make cartoonish noises as the original intended.

Am I making myself clear? DO NOT MOD the original sound effects into DotT. Because I DEFINITELY wouldn't feel like playing it with the proper sound effects would be a major improvement. And we can't go around breaking copyright laws or anything devious like that, can we?

(Nice one, Joe! I think you've really fooled them!)

Actually, depending on how keen you really are, you could legally buy them from the Amazon links above and legally use them for yourself. Strangely I'm not that married to the original sound effects.

Isn't the tentacle plop actually #115 instead of 114?

See, I wouldn't really mind the new sound effects that much if they packed the same punch as the old ones. But the new suction cup noises just sound so weak. Same with the bell, the explosion sounds and the cow sound. Yeah, the cow in the intro. It doesn't even really sound like a cow anymore.

Sadly I don't posess any hacking skills either. :(

Oh my gosh, Monkey Mania found the Hoagie belch. Well done!

(Sorry for getting excited about something as weird as that - that's the only replaced sound in the remaster that I have still not yet accepted. xD)

Actually, I do agree with ShyGuy about how some of the new sounds haven't "packed the same punch as the old ones". The one that feels weak to me is when Laverne gets an electric shock in the kennel. Partly because the animation that the sound accompanies is so wacky and cartoony, and the new sound isn't as in-your-face as the old one. I have kinda got used to it though, I guess.

I was looking through sound libraries a few weeks ago and think I found one of the "pick up" sound effects. For some reason, I think it was on Cartoon Trax Volume #5, but I'll let you know if I come by it again.

The whole purpose remastering is to go back to the original source material and create a new master from them in the highest quality. If the original sound files are available then they should be used. The game should be preserved as it was originally presented.

Maybe it'd be useful to know who provided the sound effects back in '93 when the game was first made. Were they just from Lucasart's general resource-whatchamacallits?

I guess Disney owns them now... Can't Doublefine ask them if they can borrow those libraries? They should have em, right?

I know, I know it's probably not nearly as easy as going:

DoubleFine: "Knock, knock! Hello, Disney! Mind if we borrow a couple of your sound effects for our remaster? The fans would really love it!"

Disney: "Oh, sure! Anything for the fans! Here you go, pal! But bring them back tomorrow, ok?"

DoubleFine: "Sure thing, friend! I'll be done in a snap! Bye~"

Disney: "See ya~"

OR, how about we start a Kickstarter to raise the money for the licenses, which can then be paid to Double Fine, assuming they'd be willing to patch them in?

DOTT was one of the first games to include digital sounds, and I've always found the original sfx (and their implementations) quite rudimentary -- because they were (although I'm sure they were cutting edge at the time -- especially given the effects were from Hollywood Edge, not a cheap library!). I seriously doubt you could persuade a new player that Hoagie's burp was significantly better than the one in the Remastered version. I'm pretty sure this is all just nostalgia...

DOTT was one of the first games to include digital sounds, and I've always found the original sfx (and their implementations) quite rudimentary -- because they were (although I'm sure they were cutting edge at the time -- especially given the effects were from Hollywood Edge, not a cheap library!). I seriously doubt you could persuade a new player that Hoagie's burp was significantly better than the one in the Remastered version. I'm pretty sure this is all just nostalgia...

You may call it nostalgia, I call it being faithful to the original, which is kinda the point of a remaster.

You may also call it nitpicking... On the one hand it is, on the other we just want the remaster to be as accurate as it can be.

Keep in mind, we're not saying it's a bad remaster without the original sfx, we're just saying it could be even better WITH them.

But if the original SFX is worse (and someone could argue it is in some cases), and you only want it changed because you have memories of the previous version... not because it's "better".

Anyways, I'm sure a fan patch will come out addressing this!

But if the original SFX is worse (and someone could argue it is in some cases), and you only want it changed because you have memories of the previous version... not because it's "better".

What exactly do you mean by "worse"? In what way?

Low quality sound effects.

Low quality sound effects.

If it's low quality, then keep it, this is a remaster not a "special edition."

You wouldn't want Luke's iconic lightsaber sound effect to be replaced with something completely different just because it was "low quality."

This video illustrates my point.

I thought that the original version is included in the remaster. Does the original version also have new sound effects?

What exactly do you mean by "better"? In what way? Being the "original" does not mean better (and no, you cannot compare with a sound design like Star Wars.)

My point is that it's contentious.

One thing that made them "better" is that they were classic cartoon sound effects. They were the EXACT same sfx that were used in many old cartoons we all know and love. Day of the tentacle is supposed to look and sound like an old cartoon. So having those cartoony sound effects adds to that. Don't you agree?

Sure, they sound old and overused but that's the POINT!

Why do you think it plays that cliché punching sound when Dr. Fred turns on the lights in his lab? Not because it's fitting but because it ISN'T fitting. It's out of place, over the top and cartoony which makes it funny. Would it have been better with a realistic high-quality click? No, cuz then the joke would've been non-existent.

The game is supposed to be over the top. So an old, catoony, over the top suction cup flop is more fitting to the game's style than a more realistic and subtle sound.

But even IF it was just nostalgia, what's so bad about that? Is nostalgia worth spending hundreds of dollars on old licenses? To most people not. Obviously.

That's why we should try to find an alternative (and hopefully legal) way to get them back in. There's nothing wrong with that, right?

Well, depends.

If 300 people were interested and they all pledged 1 dollar then we'd already be able to afford a $300 library.

I don't know the exact rules of Kickstarter though. Is there a minimum for how large a pledge has to be?

Well, depends.

If 300 people were interested and they all pledged 1 dollar then we'd already be able to afford a $300 library.

I don't know the exact rules of Kickstarter though. Is there a minimum for how large a pledge has to be?

As ThunderPeel said though, you'd have to buy several libraries, at $300 each, in order to get all of the sounds, or buy the individual sounds at the $60 standard license cost for each sound plus the unlimited use license of $250 to distribute them (otherwise you'd have to just keep it for your own personal use and couldn't share them). $300 isn't going to be even close to enough money for this project.

To get an idea of what you're probably looking at to get all of the sounds, the Hollywood Edge sound effects library costs $12295 for royalty free use.

Yes, as Jenni said, it's $310 dollars *per sound effect* if you're planning on public distribution. And even if you were only planning on distribution to just those Kickstarter backers, the cheapest license that includes ANY distribution is $260 per sound effect.

Well, depends.

As ThunderPeel said though, you'd have to buy several libraries, at $300 each, in order to get all of the sounds, or buy the individual sounds and the unlimited use license of $250 to distribute them (otherwise you'd have to just keep it for your own personal use and couldn't share them). $300 isn't going to be even close to enough money for this project.

I know, I was just giving an example. If everyone pledged 5 bucks we'd already have $1500. Of course, we don't know how many people would be a) interested and b) willing to spend a couple of bucks.

There's still the more cost-efficient compromise of giving the player the choice to use the old compressed sfx taken straight from the old game. Then, if you prefer a clear sound you can pick the new ones and if you'd rather hear the exact sfx and don't mind the compression then you can pick the old.

Yes, as Jenni said, it's $310 dollars *per sound effect* if you're planning on public distribution. And even if you were only planning on distribution to just those Kickstarter backers, the cheapest license that includes ANY distribution is $260 per sound effect.

Wait... PER sound effect? Why the hell is it so goddamn expensive!?

Yes, per sound effect. That's what you'd expect for high quality assets -- same goes for high quality stock image libraries. (Check out Getty Images, for example.)

LucasArts had expensive/high quality tastes :)

Hey, guess what.

I just dug through the game's files (thanks to AndywinXp for showing us Double Fine Explorer) and it looks like all the old sfx are still in there (unless I missed any).

All the flops and burps and dings and bangs and crashes and zaps.

Even Oozo's old laugh and what I think was supposed to be the cigar salesman's laugh which went unused.

So... yeah... would love it if you could switch to those.

Sign in to follow this