Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShyGuyXXL

Should the game tell you about quick-flushing?

I've seen a lot of playthroughs online where people didn't know they could just drag an item onto the other character's icon to quickly and easily flush said item.

I've even heard it brought up in a review as a flaw that flushing items takes too long.

This made me think, maybe there should be a quick little pop-up window that tells you you can do that when you first play as Hoagie and get the ability to switch to Bernard.

I think that would save a lot of time and frustration for a lot of newcomers who'd otherwise go through the entire game never even knowing about it.

There's already a pop-up that tells you the controls at the beginning so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to implement, right?

What do you think?

I stumbled across it in the original game years ago by accident.

I think a pop-up telling people about it would be much appreciated.

Yeah, either on the controls pop-up at the start or as a little instruction when you first control Hoagie. It probably should mention it somewhere though.

I saw a bit of Sips from Yogscast doing his playthrough and he didn't seem to know about that shortcut. o.ov

When I first played the game, I remember it took me ages to actually find the plans, and I had the manual too. I remember reading the manual before unlocking Hoagie in-game, and in there it explained how you could switch between characters and get them to send items to each other. So thanks to that I knew how to get one character to send an object to another before Hoagie and Laverne were even controllable for me.

Would definitely help newcomers though.

Yeah, either on the controls pop-up at the start or as a little instruction when you first control Hoagie.

It's probably best if it's not on the controls screen since most people will probably skip that. It's better if they show you when it becomes available.

Funny that this is one of those things old games just expected you to find out by yourself. Interfaces in the 90s didn't bother telling you this stuff.

It felt kinda obvious to me. Dunno why.

Probably because you've known the game for a long time. But others who've played it for the first time (or don't remember anything about it) might not think to try it.

What? You could do that in the original game? I had no idea! Flushing items was by far the most tedious task for me. So yes, I would agree that some indication of it would be nice.

You would hope that since you can drag inventory items into the game world that someone might try dragging onto another kid's icon. I know that's how I discovered it back in the day.

I didn't even know that I could drag items. That was not a feature in the previous games, right?

I didn't even know that I could drag items. That was not a feature in the previous games, right?

No, it was new to DOTT -- it had the best verb-based interface of all the LucasArts games. It would have been nice to go back and add it to the older games -- especially the pre SOMI ones (I think SOMI was the first time it really became very user friendly). After that they evolved to fullscreen play areas (and CMI had the best version of those interfaces).

I've seen a lot of playthroughs online where people didn't know they could just drag an item onto the other character's icon to quickly and easily flush said item.

I've even heard it brought up in a review as a flaw that flushing items takes too long.

This made me think, maybe there should be a quick little pop-up window that tells you you can do that when you first play as Hoagie and get the ability to switch to Bernard.

I think that would save a lot of time and frustration for a lot of newcomers who'd otherwise go through the entire game never even knowing about it.

There's already a pop-up that tells you the controls at the beginning so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to implement, right?

What do you think?

Yes there should - the fact you could do this was in the original manual back in the day.

I actually corrected a reviewer who cited "having to go back and forth to the chronojohn" as a demerit.

Yes there should - the fact you could do this was in the original manual back in the day.

I actually corrected a reviewer who cited "having to go back and forth to the chronojohn" as a demerit.

Huh! That's very bad if people are disliking the game because they don't realise about the shortcut. It should definitely at least be on the Controls screen. So easy to take this stuff for granted.

Huh! That's very bad if people are disliking the game because they don't realise about the shortcut. It should definitely at least be on the Controls screen. So easy to take this stuff for granted.

Definitely. And I cannot have been the only one in 1993/94 who didn't figure that out. It was our fourth SCUMM game, and I doubt that we read the instructions by that point.

Definitely. And I cannot have been the only one in 1993/94 who didn't figure that out. It was our fourth SCUMM game, and I doubt that we read the instructions by that point.

Well steam doesn't have manuals (even if it had, no one would read them since games today are expected to explain themselves).

Another reason why the game should tell you.

Probably because you've known the game for a long time. But others who've played it for the first time (or don't remember anything about it) might not think to try it.

I only ever played the game once as a kid. It just felt like a logical design decision, so I tried it and bingo!

I apologise for using the word bingo.

I only ever played the game once as a kid. It just felt like a logical design decision, so I tried it and bingo!

I apologise for using the word bingo.

Then maybe you're smarter than the average youtuber.

I agree, i wish we told people this. I think it might be too late now for something like this, but you should add it as a suggestion to support.doublefine.com, just in case.

:)

+1 for another person that figured it out, granted I've beaten it before and I think I figured it out during that playthrough too (though I don't recall much from that run through).

it would be nice for people who are new with dott.

Sign in to follow this