Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

You must leave the village and save the world! JRPG Thread desu!

Are you a mischievous adolescent from a quaint village who has recently awakened to his destiny as the chosen one? Did your village elder just tell you to get out there and slay a pan-dimensional planet-devouring demi-god using only the power of friendship? Are the facts and explanations of the world you find yourself in so overwrought and full of self-contradictions that none of it makes a lot of sense but you just roll with it anyway? WELL THEN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT THREAD, MY FRIEND.

JRPGs. I like them. Do you like them? Post whatever you feel like in regard to JRPGs of past, present, and future. News. Memes. Musics. Your top ten lists. Whatevs.

I'm currently nerding on Xenoblade Chronicles X, naturally, but I'm also really intrigued to hear about this new Star Ocean. I am even MORE intrigued after reading some of the things said in THIS INTERVIEW about it. Hmmmmm. Some interesting comments re: localization stuff as well.

Excited about any? Play any good ones lately?

chrono-trigger-1.jpg

Just beat Earthbound for the first time on my N3DS, now I'm no longer a poser when I wear my sweet Starman hoodie.

It seemed pretty ahead of its time, both in presentation and in mechanics, and in some ways might still be (what other turn-based JRPG auto-wins fights you've outleveled?). I also really liked the inclusion of the Hint Man. Didn't need his services very often, but I never had to check a guide since he was there.

Guess I should go back and try to beat Xenoblade Chronicles 3D. I got pretty much right up to the end of that, then got distracted by other stuff.

Are you a mischievous adolescent from a quaint village who has recently awakened to his destiny as the chosen one? Did your village elder just tell you to get out there and slay a pan-dimensional planet-devouring demi-god using only the power of friendship? Are the facts and explanations of the world you find yourself in so overwrought and full of self-contradictions that none of it makes a lot of sense but you just roll with it anyway? WELL THEN YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT THREAD, MY FRIEND.

JRPGs. I like them. Do you like them? Post whatever you feel like in regard to JRPGs of past, present, and future. News. Memes. Musics. Your top ten lists. Whatevs.

I'm currently nerding on Xenoblade Chronicles X, naturally, but I'm also really intrigued to hear about this new Star Ocean. I am even MORE intrigued after reading some of the things said in THIS INTERVIEW about it. Hmmmmm. Some interesting comments re: localization stuff as well.

Excited about any? Play any good ones lately?

chrono-trigger-1.jpg

Hell yeah, Chrono Trigger! I love Toriyama's art style in the game. You can the DBZ-ness in the art.

The only JRPGs I've played have been Final Fantasy VII through IX. Of them, IX is far away my favourite and I can't help checking Steam every few days for it. Signs are pointing to next Thursday? I liked VII a lot as well and VIII not so much. That said, I've gained a fondness for all the FFs, even the ones I haven't played, by playing the f2p mobile game Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Does Chrono Trigger feature time travel, as the title kinda suggests? I'd like to play it if so.

PS. I love how they did the website for this release. Scroll down and see! Contains autoplay music.

I've played quite a few JRPGs in my time, though I've finished basically none of them. *shrug*

Earthbound is amazing, and it has one of my favourite RPG features ever - once you level up to a certain point, you autowin battles against really low-level enemies. Absolutely ADORE this.

And EMarley - yes, Chrono Trigger features time travel. A lot of it.

The only JRPGs I've played have been Final Fantasy VII through IX. Of them, IX is far away my favourite and I can't help checking Steam every few days for it. Signs are pointing to next Thursday? I liked VII a lot as well and VIII not so much. That said, I've gained a fondness for all the FFs, even the ones I haven't played, by playing the f2p mobile game Final Fantasy Record Keeper.

Does Chrono Trigger feature time travel, as the title kinda suggests? I'd like to play it if so.

I'm in the same boat as you. I like Final Fantasy VII (I loved it when it was released, but I played through it a couple of years ago, and it doesn't hold up that well. Or maybe I'm just too old.). I dislike VIII (The story became stupid and unengaging after a while, and drawing magic was really tedious.). I really like IX, but I haven't played it in a long time.

I played Chrono Trigger as an adult, so I didn't have any nostalgic connection to it, and I had a great time! Yes, lots of time travel, really fun gameplay, a coherent story, beautiful music and art design. It's probably the best roleplaying game I have played. You should definitely try it out!

Ahhhhh. The JRPG. I fell in love with it back in 1996, for obvious reasons. Sure, I played the heck out of Final Fantasy Legend 2 and 3 on my GameBoy before, but FF VII was just too darn great. And FF IX possibly even better. During the early 00 years, I played a lot of the SNES games through *cough* certain means, that's how I came to enjoy e.g. Chrono Trigger and the fairly spectacular FF V.

I also stumbled on Anachronox, which is supposedly a JRPG though made in America. I still play that one today.

I was hyped about the FF VII Remake and vowed to even buy a PS4 just for it; but every damning detail I hear from SQE just continues to tell me that they have universally lost their magic touch. Final Fantasy 10 was bad already, but all that came afterwards... errrr.... :(

The last JRPG I've played was Evoland 2 (the French version of the JRPG apparently :) ). It was spectacular and every fan of the genre should pick it up (skipping the abysmal predecessor).

Right now I'm just sitting and waiting for another great JRPG to fall into my lap. Of course, I really really hope that the as of yet unannounced RPG by Red Thread Games – the one that as of yet only exists on the Norwegian Film Funds website, a postapocalyptic RPG set on Svalbard – will receive a "J" treatment after all.

Indeed. Chrono Trigger is the Back to the Future JRPG. And Evoland 2 is more or less a tweaked copy of the idea. :)

Earthbound:

Earthbound is so great! As far as I know, it was the first video game RPG to not only assign each of the characters in your party a different "class" (i.e. different strengths, weaknesses, abilities, etc) but also to go a step further and make each of those characters play fundamentally differently, emphasizing or requiring completely different battle mechanics. The only other RPG I can think of that really does that on the same level as Earthbound is the Shadowhearts series (may it rest in peace).

Chrono Trigger:

@Emarley: Yes, earthbound features extensive time travel. This was one of the most celebrated (if not THE most celebrated) JRPGs from the SNES generation. It has one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time and was WAY ahead of its time in so many ways. For example, it was one of the first games to feature multiple endings and side-arcs depending on the choices you make (and it didn't even brag about it or advertise it!). It was also one of the first games to have additional recruitable party members that you could potentially miss depending on the choices you make. It was also one of the first console RPGs to completely do away with the "battle screen" and just have battles take place right on the world map (though still turn based). It is still a very excellent game even to this day, but at the time it had so many breakthrough ideas going on at once it was mind-blowing.

Chrono Cross for the PS1 is an attempted "sequel" to Chrono Trigger. The music from Chrono Cross is still

, but the gameplay is a lot different. It's an excellent game in its own way, but it was too different (and in some ways a step backward, such as returning to using battle screens) and failed to capture the spirit of the original game, so it really fell flat for a lot of people as a sequel to Chrono Trigger, and it seems like SQE has never saw fit to give it another attempt.

Speaking of RPGs ahead of their time: Terranigma anyone?

Another SNES-era RPG that was way ahead of its time, and that I find a woeful number of people have not played or even heard of, was this huge epic game called Terranigma. It's technically the third game in a spiritual trilogy (the first two games being Soul Blazer, and Illusion of Gaia), but it is very different from the first two games and since they are spiritual sequels, you don't need any knowledge of previous games (though you may find some fun easter eggs / jokes!). Terranigma is an action RPG, so you fight right on the top-down map in real-time, just like Zelda. Unlike Zelda, you can jump and there is platforming! And you have different fighting moves and magics and equipment you can use and so on, but you also have all the stats and equipment and everything that comes with an RPG. Mostly I love how the overworld of this RPG just seems to get bigger and bigger. It's a "restore the world" type RPG (like Okami for example), and there are some cool ahead-of-its-time ideas, such as every town having a set of discoverable side quests and completing them increases the "economic index" of the town and world, and potentially unlocks rewards and areas. Super duper recommend if you like the SNES era and want another game right up there with the likes of Zelda and Chrono Trigger---and indeed straddles the fence between them.

FFVIII:

I'm so glad someone else has agreed that FFVIII is a mess, it's story nonsensical, and its draw magic tedious. I love JRPGs and have built up a pretty strong callous against their more tedious elements, but even I could not stomach the inanity of the draw magic system. I also didn't like it that you had to spend so much of your time just pulling out summons to level them up instead of actually fighting yourself. It was just a mess. I couldn't finish it. I played FF7 only a few years ago. It is VERY old school in a lot of ways, but it was a pretty solid JRPG overall. I was at least able to finish it, so that's always a good sign in the JRPG world.

Battle Auto-Win Mechanic:

The only other RPG I can think of that has an auto-win against lower level enemies is Paper Mario. I don't remember if TTYD has it or how it works, but I remember in the original Paper Mario there was a badge that would let you auto-kill low level enemies if you landed a first strike against them on the field. (I think you could pair it with the spin dash attack badge to make it even easier.) The downside is that if you failed to first strike them, they might still initiate a battle with you.

If you like the feeling of just running over enemies like a monster truck, though, may I recommend Ys I & II+ ?

ALL I WANT IS DARK CLOUD 3.

The most never-gonna-happen sequel since a new Chrono Trigger. ='(

I AM SETSUNA

Beautiful-looking JRPG that is selling itself on being a throwback to the best qualities of some of the most classic JRPGs, including boasting about its battle system which is directly inspired by Chrono Trigger!

These are BOLD WORDS, but I am looking forward to playing it. Coming to Steam (and PS4) in July.

http://www.iamsetsuna.com/us/#video

PS4 demo video showing off the battle system (which looks like it pretty much just copied Chrono Trigger's battle system exactly, and I am NOT complaining)

b8KUXRR.jpg

Took AKIBA'STRIP for a spin earlier tonight. Verdict so far:

--Battle system based on ripping people's clothes off is pretty original and pretty funny.

--Combat feels a bit button mashy than actiony, though... but I may not be fully accustomed to it yet.

--Too much visual novel and not enough gameplay. I really hate when games are front-loaded with walls and walls of text. I JUST WANT TO GET TO THE ACTUAL GAME PLEASE.

--Seems like it could be fun, but the game hasn't let me get actually hands-on with the combat enough yet.

I plan to play it some more this week and probably this weekend. I'm hoping it will open a bit more and let me get my RPG on, but it seems a little bit on rails so far, providing only a fixed number of curated battles instead of letting one grind up a bit at their leisure, which for an RPG makes me say 'hmm' =|

Ripping people's clothes off (who are also trying to rip your clothes off) *is* pretty funny, though, I can't lie. It's soooo pervy Japan, but it is funny.

The reviews for the new Star Ocean are pretty bad... and this was supposed to be an attempt to save the franchise... =(

Sigh...

LOOK. IT IS BASICALLY THE SAME THING AS THE TALES FRANCHISE ONLY THERE IS A SPACESHIP THAT GOES TO DIFFERENT PLANETS. AND THE TALES PEOPLE PUT OUT ONE OF THOSE GAMES EVERY TWO MINUTES.

But nope. Couldn't manage. AGAIN.

Goodnight, sweet childhood.

The reviews for the new Star Ocean are pretty bad... and this was supposed to be an attempt to save the franchise... =(
Aw, that's a shame. Only just started getting into the franchise.

Aw, that's a shame. Only just started getting into the franchise.

I'm going to wait for a few more reviews before I decide to make the purchase.... a lot of people said the last entry in the series was terrible, and I agree that the story and characters were pretty god awful, but I still liked the gameplay well enough. The PS2 one was mostly okay, though the combo system was fickle, the bonus meter was an absolute mess (improved in the next one), and it became nigh unfinishible near the end.

So far the biggest complaints seem to be:

--The story and characters are terrible. But can they really be any worse than the last one?

--Kind of just a monotonous grind fest. But wouldn't be the first JRPG I played that was like that.

--Only takes 20 hours playing a relaxed pace and even doing some sidequesting. This one is slightly concerning.

Chrono Trigger has been released on Steam, as I have long hoped it would. Everyone is complaining about it being a mobile port. I played FF9 on Steam which was a mobile port but I had no problem with it at all, it was definitely preferable to the PS1 version since it came with additional options and better textures. Is this a mobile port in that vein, or is it a truly terrible mobile port that makes it less enjoyable to play?

I've been playing the demo of FFXV and I'm so terrible at this gameplay oh my god. On the plus side yesterday I bought meatloaf and Ignis said "That's it! I've come up with a new recipe!" and it made my evening. I may not have played the game, but I know the memes xD

Edited by EMarley

I haven't tried the steam version of CT, and while I think the Steam community is often a cesspit of vitriolic man-babies, I can understand that a person would want the "actual" classic instead of a version that had tweaks and improvements that were not necessarily wanted or welcome. (Very smart of DF to always include the classic art styles in their remasters, no?)

It's funny now looking back at how excited I was to hear about I Am Setsuna at one point in the past. I tried it on Switch and found it extremely underwhelming. The comparisons with Chrono Trigger go about as far as "the battle system has team-up attacks".

I've played Xenoblade Chronicles X from start to finish TWICE now. What a great game. It's too bad it was a WiiU exclusive and many people may not ever get to enjoy it. I tried Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch and, while reviews of it are generally positive, it just didn't come anywhere close to XBCX for me. I ultimately traded it back and just replayed XBCX again haha.

I'll be trying Ni No Kuni 2 at some point in the future. I didn't really care for the first one, since I thought the battle system was pretty bland, but the second one looks a bit more "Tales-like", so ima give it a go.

Man, I can't explain how happy I am that Japanese games have become popular again. I can't wait to see if any JRPGs make a big splash at E3 besides Kingdom Hearts.