Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diduz76

Official updates?

Hi, guys!

What's going on with the project? The campaign ended three months ago and I have not read any update on P2 since then, except one email with some nice wallpapers. Did I miss something? I read Tim's tweets about him being busy writing and designing, I know this will be a very long production, but I'd still like some official word for backers.

I said this during the Broken Age development: don't feel forced to post updates only when you've got 2PP's beautiful videos. Those take time, as a backer I'd really like a regular biweekly / monthly update about the production status. Nothing wrong in a few boring (but informative) lines such as: "Working on concepts" or "We're programming some prototypes". IMHO you shouldn't go silent for more than one month. ;-)

Apart from the wallpapers you should also have received a humble bundle link to digital downloads such as the first Psychonauts and the concept art (the subject line is "Dearest backer of the excellent video game Psychonauts 2!")

I don't know if you've seen this thread, where whenever there's a new interview where Psychonauts 2 is discussed it is linked there, the last one was one month ago. Because Day of the Tentacle was released, that has been the focus of more recent interviews/updates.

Yeah, Diduz. I'm over here wondering when I'll hear anymore about the game. Hopefully, it'll resurge upon Day of the Tentacle's release. I don't even care if it's something small like a concept sketch an environment. Just something!

I've been so excited with DOTT that I hadn't even noticed. It's pretty normal for this level of radio silence while they find their feet. The same thing just happened on another Kickstarter MST3K... everyone is just so happy that they don't mind, though.

I don't know if you've seen this thread, where whenever there's a new interview where Psychonauts 2 is discussed it is linked there, the last one was one month ago.

Yeah, I know those, great work. :-)

But I'd still like official backer updates.

It's pretty normal for this level of radio silence while they find their feet.

Well, they could share the process of finding their feet. It's part of the fun. ;-)

I think the problem when finding your feet is that it takes all your time and energy, and you instinctively want to report problems you've solved, not problems you're still solving.

It was mentioned on twitter that an update is imminent. Quarterly updates, I think was the word.

Tim, don't you dare think about posting updates in this thread!!!

In fact, what are you doing here reading this?!

0c00c1cbffe0748c213c55e8305d5d02.jpg

Yeah we have an update in the works! It's a little overdue, sorry, PAX planning got in the way.

Yeah we have an update in the works! It's a little overdue, sorry, PAX planning got in the way.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

From what I've seen on twitter, PAX seems to have been a nice couple of days for Double Fine?

Great! Thanks a lot. Looking forward to it! :-)

Great! Thanks a lot. Looking forward to it! :-)

I am also looking forward to it!

So... what happened to the update? Or did I miss it?

So... what happened to the update? Or did I miss it?

No, you didn't. :-(

And yet...

Crossing my fingers these won't become biannual updates. :-P

Patience, ya'll. B-)

Well, it's been one more month since we heard an update was in the works. Don't want to be a nagger or negative, but it does make you wonder. 6 months of radio silence is not what I expected from this project.

I'm guessing it's because of this: http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/11/11657448/fig-consortium-psychonauts-2-equity-crowdfunding-sec-delay-update

This is the first time anything like this has ever been done (to my knowledge), and I think there's still a lot of back and forth with the SEC. As soon as the government approves things, I'm guessing there will be a big update.

Hmmm... I don't know. I read about this big issue, of course I'd like to know something more about it, but we must remember 1.950.000 dollars were just good old pledges. I guess they should already have a minimum budget to take off while they wait for this thing to be sorted out. At least they could share something of the preproduction /prototypes process.

My guess is they're knee-deep in Rhombus of Ruin (and the PS4 port of P1), so very little work has been actually done on P2. Working on Rhombus of Ruin probably paves the road to P2, because I imagine the two games will share characters models or some sets.

But... see... I'm guessing, you're guessing. Everybody's "guessing". :-P We should not be left to guessing.

It would be nice to hear something soon, but I'm not about to go getting all huffy if it doesn't come yet again this week. If I were dealing with an unknown developer I might be a little more concerned, but DF hasn't done me wrong on this crowdfunding thing yet.

Pretty much any update they share with fans/backers on this forum or elsewhere is going to get immediately scooped up by the gaming press. Possibly by an enthusiastic journalist who will post a headline like THIS NEW PSYCHONAUTS LOOKS AMAZEBALLS but I think history has shown us there is no shortage of journos who aren't too enamored of DF and are just waiting to post a headline like WHY IS DOUBLE FINE GETTING THEIR FANS HOPES UP WHEN THE SEC FILING ISN'T SETTLED YET - IS THIS THE END OF TIM SCHAFER'S CAREER? If not a journalist then at least some idiot YouTube video that gets spammed in comment threads by you know which people.

In other words, it's not just "an update". It's basically a press release whether we/they like it or not. So they have to take that into consideration and make sure they have all their ducks in a row. They also might be waiting for a specific time window. You never know.

fmp01.jpg

Not sure that I agree that every update needs to be, or will be, equivalent to a press release. That depends on the content of it, and I think that some basic communication would be sufficient, and not blown out of proportion.

Not sure that I agree that every update needs to be, or will be, equivalent to a press release. That depends on the content of it, and I think that some basic communication would be sufficient, and not blown out of proportion.

I suppose so. I guess that I'm thinking of "give us an update" as what it has meant in the past. In Broken Age that usually meant a package of some kind. Concept art. Documentary footage. Developer "blogs" (for lack of a better term). During Massive Chalice things were a little more loosey goosey and the team would kinda just hop on video chat and start talking. Not quite as packaged an update style, but also MUCH more time-consuming, and maybe they just don't have that kind of time for this one.

I think you are right if you are saying that all you want is just for someone on the project to pop into the forum and say a few words like, hey, we're working on X, Y, and Z right now but can't show anything yet. Were looking at posting an update with more meaty info around this date but that date is subject to change or whatever. I mean, even if you have nothing to broadcast at the moment, there is some value to letting people know that the signal isn't dead. Just a, "hey we're not dead" is nice. I can agree with that.

My suspicion is that they are maybe doing things more Broken Age style with packaged updates of some kind. It doesn't sound like they are filming as extensively on P2 as on BA, but Tim *did* say there was some filming happening, and it's possible they have video they want to show us and they are waiting for it to get cut and edited, or something of that nature.

We know that they're sitting on an update, so if they haven't released it yet it's for a reason, and not something like, "they forgot". Their priority is the game - if it serves the game to be discrete about whatever they're working out right now, or wait till the moment of best PR impact, that is what they must do, even if it makes backers impatient. They serve the backers best by prioritising the game.

Because we all love analogies: the successful funding has helped set them on the road; we can expect them to reach the end of it with a great game and hopefully on time. It helps no one to get alarmed or annoyed every time they don't wave back, or slow down, or whatever.

Because we all love analogies: the successful funding has helped set them on the road; we can expect them to reach the end of it with a great game and hopefully on time. It helps no one to get alarmed or annoyed every time they don't wave back, or slow down, or whatever.

Correct me if I'm reading it in another way then you intended, but for me this reads like "asking for anything in the first six months" = "annoyed every time they don't wave back". Right or wrong?

I didn't really expect to hear much about this game until it will be finished, and thought we would get more of a Cyan Worlds style of updates, who haven't communicated much about their kickstarted game Obduction up until the announcement that it will be released next month. Personally I also don't really want extensive updates about the game on this one, because of spoilers. They did a very good job on avoiding those on Broken Age, but I still had the feeling that I knew too much about the game and the locations featured in it before I went in.

It's funny, however, that now that Spaff has announced an update, I'm actually looking forward to it. They're probably timing it with an announcement regarding Rhomus of Ruin and/or waiting for something on the investment side of things to clear up.

I mean, even if you have nothing to broadcast at the moment, there is some value to letting people know that the signal isn't dead. Just a, "hey we're not dead" is nice.

That's exactly what I meant when I started the thread. ;-)

I didn't want to blow this out of proportion.

Correct me if I'm reading it in another way then you intended, but for me this reads like "asking for anything in the first six months" = "annoyed every time they don't wave back". Right or wrong?

No, I didn't mean the people in this thread. I'm not saying it's wrong to want an update and politely ask for one like people have done here. It's the more exaggerated reactions I've seen elsewhere that I was thinking of.

No, I didn't mean the people in this thread. I'm not saying it's wrong to want an update and politely ask for one like people have done here. It's the more exaggerated reactions I've seen elsewhere that I was thinking of.

Haven't seen those reactions myself. On the contrary, I feel that it's been surpringsly quiet about this.

And as said in the last post on the previous page, it's really just about keeping the signal alive, that's all that's needed.

I agree that something DF could always be better at doing is tiny updates even if there's not much to say, just to let people know they haven't forgotten. We know they haven't but the reassurance is nice anyway.

They do post tiny updates on twitter (for those of you who don't use twitter, you can check the 'Psychonauts in the media' thread, where those updates are always posted either by me or others), like the photos and videos they shared of the recording sessions with the voice actors for Rhombus of Ruin. I can see why they wouldn't want to fill people's inboxes or fig updates section with things like that, and prefer to use those only for substantial updates.

Speaking of which! :)

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2/?update=179#updates

wdPAHFazfeE

Sign in to follow this