Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Things that are great about the Remastered version

To counterbalance any perceived negativity, and so to help Matt Hansen sleep at night, I thought I'd start a list of all the things that are great about the remaster.

Please add to it with your own favourite things!

Here's some of the things I like:

1. The fact that you can choose whatever combination of interfaces and remastering you prefer. (I'm a remastered visuals/audio, old skool interface kind of guy.)

2. The commentary is really great, and very well edited together. Especially on the cut-scenes.

3. I love the new music. To me it sounds great.

4. The new effects that have been added (the stars sparkling, the leaves blowing in the wind, etc.) are all great, and some of them I even thought were in the original... but weren't (like the fly over the food in Dwayne's room).

5. The new extended backgrounds for the cut-scenes (and new verb interface in places) are really well done. They completely fit in, and even a die-hard like myself wouldn't notice them... they just complement the scenes in widescreen.

6. New jokes!

7. Clever achievements -- although should have been one for recycling the hubcap! :)

The bottom line is that I only switch back to the original version for comparison... I never feel I'm missing out on anything from the original when I'm playing (unlike with the Monkey Island Remasters -- where I would dislike the reinterpretations of the background artwork). Also, I think playing Remastered as a first time player works perfectly, too -- I wouldn't worry that a first-timer is missing out on anything from the original version (again, unlike with the MI Remastered).

What's your fave bits?

I thought I would end up switching to the old interface, but when I tried the verb dial I loved it immediately, it's super comfortable to use. I'm just really happy to have been able to play the game for the first time, and that when I finished I could go back to get the Achievements/jokes I'd missed. And it looks/sounds great all round. I've yet to listen to most of the commentary, so I've still got that to look forward to.

I would be much happier with the new interface if all actions were available all the time, rather than giving you extra clues by only allowing certain 'contextual' actions. Since this isn't the case, I play only with the old interface. Not to mention the fact that I like seeing the inventory open.

The bottom line is that I only switch back to the original version for comparison... I never feel I'm missing out on anything from the original when I'm playing (unlike with the Monkey Island Remasters -- where I would dislike the reinterpretations of the background artwork). Also, I think playing Remastered as a first time player works perfectly, too -- I wouldn't worry that a first-timer is missing out on anything from the original version (again, unlike with the MI Remastered).

I think you just about nailed it there. While I'm more forgiving of the SEs' art style than most, there are some parts that are so ugly and just plain lazy in both games (Melee Woods and Rapp Scallion, respectively) that I HAVE to switch to classic mode, if only for a minute or so.

Double Fine could have released DoTT Remastered without classic mode, and I don't think anyone would mind. THAT'S how spot-on they were with the remastering.

The whole art remastering, pretty brilliant in keeping the original feel in HD. :-)

No small feat.

Also, like I said in another thread, a couple of oddities that were in the original game were fixed for the Remastered edition:

1) Laverne's voice clips in the original occasionally played at the wrong pitch. "I don't think I can put that in the Chron-o-John" being the most obvious example. The one that frightened me as a child was her extremely husky voice when you look at the right-handed hammer. "You could crack somebody's skull with this." All these years, I just assumed that either the voice actress changed her mind between recordings. Or of course, it was just another part of Laverne's crazy personality.

2) When the IRS guys show up to kidnap Doctor Fred, one of them originally said "Doctor Fred Edison? Internal Revenue. We'd like to go over some of your records with you. Come with us." When you rewind the tape and play it in slow motion, the "We'd like to go over some of your records with you." part of his speech is missing. In Remastered, this has been fixed; they just swapped the two lines around so he says "Come with us." first.

Always feels good to know we got a few things right. I think the upcoming patch should address some of the biggest pieces of feedback we heard from you guys since launch.

Ooh, that sounds promising! I'm trying to think what the biggest gripes have been...here's my speculation on Patch 1.04.

1) I think it's fair to say that Maniac Mansion save slots are a given at this point.

2) We know the reason the sound effects were replaced is because the originals were too expensive, and that's okay. Most of the substitutions are close enough, but one or two of the replacements are just plain DULL. We've already had a replacement pitch bend in the intro; I'm hoping we'll get just a few alternative sound effects that are at least as cartooney as the originals were.

All I REALLY want is a game show-style "Ding!" and a nice loud toilet flush. Strangest sentence I've ever written....

3) Weirdness going on with the music implementation. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind this; "Occasionally the music will not function correctly" is the most specific way one could sum up all the problems that have been reported thus far. So I reckon the coding behind the music just needs to be given a more sturdy foundation.

4) A lot of the problems on the support forum are basically "This game doesn't run on my specific setup!" which tragically, is inevitable with PC gaming. Some patching may be done to help out (hopefully, quite a lot of) people, but there will always be the unfortunate few left without a paddle.

Then hopefully Patch 1.05 (if there is one) will handle the backburner issues. Ironically, those are the fixes I'd like to see the most.

Ooh, that sounds promising! I'm trying to think what the biggest gripes have been...here's my speculation on Patch 1.04.

1) I think it's fair to say that Maniac Mansion save slots are a given at this point.

2) We know the reason the sound effects were replaced is because the originals were too expensive, and that's okay. Most of the substitutions are close enough, but one or two of the replacements are just plain DULL. We've already had a replacement pitch bend in the intro; I'm hoping we'll get just a few alternative sound effects that are at least as cartooney as the originals were.

All I REALLY want is a game show-style "Ding!" and a nice loud toilet flush. Strangest sentence I've ever written....

3) Weirdness going on with the music implementation. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason behind this; "Occasionally the music will not function correctly" is the most specific way one could sum up all the problems that have been reported thus far. So I reckon the coding behind the music just needs to be given a more sturdy foundation.

4) A lot of the problems on the support forum are basically "This game doesn't run on my specific setup!" which tragically, is inevitable with PC gaming. Some patching may be done to help out (hopefully, quite a lot of) people, but there will always be the unfortunate few left without a paddle.

Then hopefully Patch 1.05 (if there is one) will handle the backburner issues. Ironically, those are the fixes I'd like to see the most.

We are getting closer to releasing it. We are testing it right now and it addresses a lot of those requests. We have been focused on hopefully making this the final patch, then we are shifting over to Full Throttle. :)

Woohoo! Great response! Fast, too.

You could also give Oozo his old voice back. Since it's coming out of a crappy speaker, it would makes sense that it would sound compressed.

The main team is moving on to FT after the patch. Cheese is working on the Linux port and doing an awesome job. It won't come out with the patch, but it won't be too much longer. We all want to make sure it is in good shape and fully tested before release.

The main team is moving on to FT after the patch. Cheese is working on the Linux port and doing an awesome job. It won't come out with the patch, but it won't be too much longer. We all want to make sure it is in good shape and fully tested before release.

Cool! Thanks, Cheese, if you're listening!

That's great news! :D It's been a few years since I've played DotT, and I'm really looking forward to playing the remaster.

Oh hullo! I guess that means that the cat's out of the bag.

It feels pretty close, but with these sorts of things it can be hard to tell how long something will take till it's done. I'm working as hard as I can, people - I feel a lot of pressure to get it done and want it to be in my fellow Linux users' hands as soon as it's ready <3

Lots of love to Double Fine for providing Linux versions of almost all of their games, and to Cheeseness for putting so much time and care into this one. <3

The remastered version has been made even more awesome by the addition of Linux builds \o/

Looks like we're live now on Steam and Humble (GOG should come soon).

Sign in to follow this