Michael Tucker

Full Throttle Remastered Wish List Features

What's up everyone!

We're at the point in production where we're sitting down and looking at the original game to see if there's any aspects of Full Throttle that could benefit from some extra love. We wanted to get your thoughts on this as well!

This could include anything from puzzle clarity to gameplay adjustments of certain areas. While we can't commit to all of the ideas that may come up, we are certainly listening!

Throw out any ideas you guys would like to see in the Remastered version of Throttle and we'll discuss them in our planning meetings!

Remastered (let's say nicer than a Roland Canvas) soundtrack - since you'll be dealing with Digital iMUSE and not MIDI (even though DOTT seems to use mp3) - and high quality Gone Jackals music!

And it'd be nice to involve people like this guy http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/10810/ and other people with a big attention to detail, better if nitpicky, to avoid stuff like "GOLO Flakes"

Personally I would wish the 3D rendered scenery would be improved to match the look of the rest of the game.

There's two or three (or four) puzzles that could use some attention: Better indicating there's a place to hide when the police arrive -- it's basically luck at the moment. The entire Mine Road section. The brick in the wall. And the Demolition Derby.

I would love it if Peter Chan could oversee all the new art, but that's not going to happen. The old art is GORGEOUS, but I think you'll do it justice, so I'm not too worried. There's so many nice touches in the DOTT Remaster for eagle eyed players like me.

Try and include eagle eyed players like me in some sort of beta process :)

Oh, and obviously higher fidelity Gone Jackals music!

Try and include eagle eyed players like me in some sort of beta process :)

This guy is what I was talking about, seriously, please consider involving people like him.

The more detailed is the "old master tape" the less stylistic freedom you have while remastering/remaking that tape

MI1 and MI2 were pure pixel art, not that much detailed, so they had some degree of stylistic freedom when it came to remake the art

DOTT was less of a challenge on that regard, since it was well defined, hi-res and detailed pixel-art.

Full throttle does even more: it removes the verb bar, so the art style is even more defined.

So this gives little to no room for spoofs like "golo flakes" :P IMHO, the best thing you could do is literally doing the same job of the guy who made that fan art, and that would be perfection

Because honestly, you CAN make look the game that beautiful, maybe even better (I'm sure that your art department consists of some quality workers, they can do better than a fan art!)

here is my wish list:

-different endings (bunny, one for the cotton shirt, a ending with father torq and the rest of the pole cats driving off at the end)

-deeper access to the cry fish base

-access to the 2nd floor of the kick stand

-photos in office of corley motors

That sound when Ben kicks the piano is my all-time-favourite video game sound next to the portal gun. Please please please keep it the same! It sets a certain vibe that only that exact little music sting can set. It's perfect.

I'm hoping that if you adjust some puzzles then you can include the option to play them the original way. That wall puzzle hotspot holds some nostalgia for me.

Regarding the art, I'm hoping you can figure out a way to draw it so it doesn't feel too clean and vector-y, because part of this world is the gritty, unclean feeling which might be undermined by a very clean style. I trust your artists though. :)

Finally, I also think you should do some sort of closed alpha/beta with people that are big fans and would have a great attention to small details. I don't know if you could legally pull this off with Disney breathing down your neck but it's guaranteed to improve the final product IMO. I'm sure lots of you guys are fans but as you know working really closely on a project for a couple of years can make it difficult to spot mistakes. I'd be up for helping if you need it.

That's all! Both remasters so far have been magnificent, minus the Golo flakes, so I have full faith that you can get this one right. Can't wait to see the new art for the small naked statue of Tim Schafer. ;)

EDIT: It could look beautiful if you hand-inked the verb tattoo to look like an actual tattoo.

So excited for this, yet nervous at the same time. This is the first in the trinity of my entry into the Lucasarts library as a child (the other two being The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island), so I'm a bit protective over it. Having said that, I trust you guys. There isn't really a lot that I feel needs changing, but here are my biggest requests:

Widescreen HD. I know that might be a challenge because it's not like MI1/MI2/DOTT where the in game menu was 16:9 and you could just hide the verbs, the whole game is 4:3, so it's more like Grim in that regard. I wouldn't be against the bars on the side but I generally prefer widescreen. In terms of how I want the art...idk really, just give it a good spit and polish, but I think the character models' faces need to look more like their close-up counterparts (the ones that have close-ups at all, anyhow).

For God's sake keep the original voice actors! This is probably a no-brainer because you guys have kept the V.O for both Grim and DOTT Remastered, but I'm just putting this down so you know to keep that trend. Roy Conrad was perfect as Ben and since he's passed it's impossible to just get the same people to rerecord. Hopefully you'll be able to dig into the archives and bring the recordings to a higher quality standard.

Higher quality soundtrack. I imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to do as you'd just need a better sample of The Gone Jackals' album. There are also a few musical cues that are missing/get cut off from the ScummVM emulated version but retained when run in DOSBox (Meeting Mo, Corley's request to Ben) so I hope the developers are thorough enough that they can bring those back in because otherwise some dramatic moments kind of miss the impact because the music track just kind of trails off.

I'll quote myself from that What Should Change thread:

grime and grit! (I seem to be the only person who thought that fan art was way too clean)

lots of special features about the original making of the game as well as its remastering - all the concept art, brainstorming notes, internal emails, interviews and anything else that you can lay your hands on!

On a more boring note, it would probably be a good idea to look at the questions that got repeated a lot around the release of the othe Remasters - Linux, gog achievements etc - and try to make statements on that stuff as early as possible!

For me one of the most important aspects of the game is really its soundtrack. The Gone Jackals songs should obviously be easy to get in at high quality, but Peter McC's soundtrack quite often relied on sampled instruments (okay, let's not sugar-coat that, it's just Roland samples and nothing fancy at all), even for simple stuff like electric (and acoustic and bass) guitars. I don't expect a live orchestra for this game, but please try to at least remaster the soundtrack with live guitars, basses and drums and better samples for the rest.

Oh, and as always, please try to include the German dub! Ben's German voice (Ron Perlman's German voice actor Tilo Schmitz) is so good!

So excited for this, yet nervous at the same time. This is the first in the trinity of my entry into the Lucasarts library as a child (the other two being The Dig and The Curse of Monkey Island), so I'm a bit protective over it. Having said that, I trust you guys. There isn't really a lot that I feel needs changing, but here are my biggest requests:

Widescreen HD. I know that might be a challenge because it's not like MI1/MI2/DOTT where the in game menu was 16:9 and you could just hide the verbs, the whole game is 4:3, so it's more like Grim in that regard. I wouldn't be against the bars on the side but I generally prefer widescreen. In terms of how I want the art...idk really, just give it a good spit and polish, but I think the character models' faces need to look more like their close-up counterparts (the ones that have close-ups at all, anyhow).

For God's sake keep the original voice actors! This is probably a no-brainer because you guys have kept the V.O for both Grim and DOTT Remastered, but I'm just putting this down so you know to keep that trend. Roy Conrad was perfect as Ben and since he's passed it's impossible to just get the same people to rerecord. Hopefully you'll be able to dig into the archives and bring the recordings to a higher quality standard.

Higher quality soundtrack. I imagine this wouldn't be too difficult to do as you'd just need a better sample of The Gone Jackals' album. There are also a few musical cues that are missing/get cut off from the ScummVM emulated version but retained when run in DOSBox (Meeting Mo, Corley's request to Ben) so I hope the developers are thorough enough that they can bring those back in because otherwise some dramatic moments kind of miss the impact because the music track just kind of trails off.

I vote this guy in for any beta that might happen! He's clearly got the love and the knowledge. Just what you need.

I also second what TimeGentleman said. The fan art isn't perfect to my eyes (the floor for example, and the less stylised lighting, etc).

For me one of the most important aspects of the game is really its soundtrack. The Gone Jackals songs should obviously be easy to get in at high quality, but Peter McC's soundtrack quite often relied on sampled instruments (okay, let's not sugar-coat that, it's just Roland samples and nothing fancy at all), even for simple stuff like electric (and acoustic and bass) guitars. I don't expect a live orchestra for this game, but please try to at least remaster the soundtrack with live guitars, basses and drums and better samples for the rest.

Oh, and as always, please try to include the German dub! Ben's German voice (Ron Perlman's German voice actor Tilo Schmitz) is so good!

This

The soundtrack in this game is one of the key points. This game is almost built on electric ambient guitars, and hard rock/heavy metal tracks

Just... Hire a guitar/bass player, please

The soundtrack is the biggest point for me as well. As I understand it, the original game doesn't just use slices from the Gone Jackals album, but uses unmastered stems without the lyrics and edited in unique ways. Hopefully you can get the full quality versions of these stems or procure new ones and edit them in the same way. I can't stress how important the Gone Jackals music is to the game. I know licensed music can be a mess especially with games from the 90s, but please do everything you can to get it back but in full quality and not just mono 22khz like the originals. If all else fails, then it's better than nothing, but it must be present. It's just not the same game and not worth it without those tracks.

As for the Roland music, I could go either way. High quality recordings from an actual Sound Canvas or recreate it with new instrument libraries. I did enjoy how the score utilized the Sound Canvas's samples. It didn't always sound cheesy. Especially with the Guitar Feedback patch. Great use.

So yeah, music is all around important. I can't think of anything else.

As for extras, I don't know if you can manage it but it would be really cool to release the original Sound Canvas portion of the score in MIDI format as a bonus extra. The original game only includes low quality digital recordings.

Exactly, also, I can't stress it enough, but every Digital Audio Workstation comes with some great high quality stock virtual instruments, so there's no need to use a Roland Canvas in 2016, really.

This isn't my favorite game by far (that would be DOTT), but I'd be glad to help with pinpointing issues.

Redoing the videos is going to be a huge pain, since you're going to have to redraw every single frame and there's quite a bit of it.

I also don't envy your job in finding some way to replace the noisy SMUSH videos that is acceptable to fans. I'm guessing you'll want to do some proper 3d there instead.

In other words, good luck! This game is going to be a challenge to remaster properly.

It depends what they're going to do. It may only be a GF/DOTT style remaster, which might just mean getting the original assets and presenting them at higher quality. I wouldn't be surprised if we got higher resolution versions of the original ones... but I know Tim mentioned "having to do something" about the brick puzzle, so it sounds like there's bigger scope this time... unless they're going to solve that with just a tweak to the artwork.

I think they're definitely going to have to improve the controls in the "action" sequences at least -- but they did a great job with the controls on GF, so I guess that's within scope of what they've done in the past.

Time will tell!

It depends what they're going to do. It may only be a GF/DOTT style remaster, which might just mean getting the original assets and presenting them at higher quality. I wouldn't be surprised if we got higher resolution versions of the original ones... but I know Tim mentioned "having to do something" about the brick puzzle, so it sounds like there's bigger scope this time... unless they're going to solve that with just a tweak to the artwork.

I think they're definitely going to have to improve the controls in the "action" sequences at least -- but they did a great job with the controls on GF, so I guess that's within scope of what they've done in the past.

Time will tell!

Yep, those two instances are exactly the sort of things we're already thinking about how to improve in Remaster.

At this point, don't worry about whether or not the things you're suggesting may be out of the scope of what we might do for the remaster. We want to hear what people want, even if its beyond the scope of what we've done in the past, because once we know that then we can have the discussions about how far we think we can go with this remaster.

Awesome! Here's my dream list:

My absolute dream would be for Tim to add the originally planned content that got cut (a whole biker gang on water) and the infamous peyote sequence :)

Secondly it would be great if the player was reminded why they needed to jump the gorge... On my most recent playthrough I couldn't remember why it was so important to Ben. Also, I'd forgotten that why I was looking for The Vultures by the time I'd gotten to Corely Motors, so it wasn't clear why I needed to traverse the minefield.

Thirdly, I'd love for Peter Chan to art direct the entire thing, for Peter McConnell to be completely involved in the scoring, and for Clint Bajakian to handle with the sound.

They're my absolute dream requests, but my earlier ones are important too :)

I don't have a "wish list", I just have one big worry. :-P

Since the game is lowres 320x200, I guess you'll try and update the graphics DOTTRE-style (I like that approach very much).

Unfortunately, Full Throttle is different from DOTT because the game features pre-rendered 3D models and animations. There were HUGE problems in integrating the prerendered stuff with real-time graphics in Grim Fandango Remastered. The prerendered animations and movies in Grim were pretty much identical to the original compressed files, and the clash between the updated graphics and the old art was cheap-looking.

So, you can't leave Full Throttle mostly as it is (as you did with Grim), because it's lowres and DOTTRE showed how good an updated graphics can look.

On the other hand, retracing/redrawing/rerendering ALL the hybrid graphics featured in Full Throttle could be really expensive.

I'm worried that the usual budget you got for the two previous remakes could not be enough this time around.

I hope I'm wrong.

And PLEASE... could you beg Disney to take the original games on GOG while we wait? I know your licenses don't allow that, I'm just asking if you may give a hand. ;-)

One forum member made a HD picture in Maurine's shop using the close up "cinematic" heads of Ben and Maurine on the play models. This is a Genius idea.

Small updates during production like a screenshot randomly here and there would be greatly welcomed.

The Doublefine adventure development Spoiled us(ME) with all the updates. Its just really fun to see get ideas of whats going on in development. especially if its going to be a Game Ive played and loves my whole life.

I dont know all the details on what It would take to do it, But if there are any assets or set pieces that were mostly finished but removed from the game, I would love the surprise of some new content that was originally intended to be in the game If feasible.

The motorcycle battling collecting items section I personally dont think needs changing but It could benefit from a polish on the responsiveness when attacking.

Keep the Verb COIN in the remaster.

Please don't change anything about Mavis Shes wonderful the way she is.

Any form of alpha or play testing Id be very excited to help with.

This is one of my favorite games of all times!

There are two things we got really stuck on when the original game was released and would probably need fixing:

1. Hitting the cavefish with the log was very hard, even after we knew that's what we were supposed to do. During replays we used to fail and just skip that part by loading a saved file from the first time we succeeded.

2. In the very end of the game , in the airplane hull, it's not obvious that you can walk to the side and so we never tried and got stuck until finally we looked at the walkthrough and found out that's what you need to do.

The fact that I still remember those two things some 20 years after playing only shows how good the game was and how problematic these things were.

2. In the very end of the game , in the airplane hull, it's not obvious that you can walk to the side and so we never tried and got stuck until finally we looked at the walkthrough and found out that's what you need to do.

That's actually the puzzle :) But I agree it's a little "cheap" (sorry Tim).

Awesome! Here's my dream list:

My absolute dream would be for Tim to add the originally planned content that got cut (a whole biker gang on water) and the infamous peyote sequence :)

Secondly it would be great if the player was reminded why they needed to jump the gorge... On my most recent playthrough I couldn't remember why it was so important to Ben. Also, I'd forgotten that why I was looking for The Vultures by the time I'd gotten to Corely Motors, so it wasn't clear why I needed to traverse the minefield.

Thirdly, I'd love for Peter Chan to art direct the entire thing, for Peter McConnell to be completely involved in the scoring, and for Clint Bajakian to handle with the sound.

They're my absolute dream requests, but my earlier ones are important too :)

So I wanted to see what was up with Doublefine these days and what was going on with this remaster. I saw this post and I had to log in for the first time in three years. I was confident that Full Throttle was going to be a competent remaster already but the thought of getting to see the peyote scene finally, oh man, my heart can't take that kind of temptation.

However, the most important thing for me is too keep The Gone Jackals song. I still listen to Legacy regularly years later. This is in my top 10 games all time, and I can't wait to play it again.

I second this. Full Throttle is a brilliant game but a little bit too short, I'd say. I'd love to see two modes of gameplay for this remaster (akin to the 'regular' and 'mega-monkey' modes from The Curse of Monkey Island). One mode would be a HD version of the original game and the second mode would be the same thing but with additional all-new sequences and puzzles.

Above all else though; like ThunderPeel, I would love to see Tim Schafer's artistic take on the peyote trip sequence. I think that his imagination could really shine through there!

Obviously, all of this is probably far too much to ask for but it's definitely what would be my dream scenario for this game. If miracles do somehow happen and you guys do end up creating some new sequences/puzzles, then I guess new dialogue would be also be required. That being the case, then I reckon there must be some people out there who could do a spot on Roy Conrad (R.I.P.) impersonation (ala AJ LoCascio's Micheal J Fox impersonation in Telltale's Back to the Future game).

Having said all that, I'd be more than happy if the developer folk at Double Fine simply gave this game the same glorious treatment that they gave Day of the Tentacle: Remastered.

Maybe Mark Hamill on some commentaries

As nice as this would be, I'd rather Double Fine didn't blow their entire budget on getting Mr. Hamill in front of a microphone for an hour. I hope that they'll at least keep a couple of dollars for a quick repaint of the game's backgrounds in MS Paint or something.

A more realistic option may be to whack ol' Luke Skywalker on the back of his brain cradle with a frozen salami and "force" (yuk yuk) him to record some commentary at gun point. Then dispose of the cadaver down at the local docks. It may seem harsh but game development certainly isn't cheap and that goes double for Mark Hamill. They could always put a "in memorandum" shout out in the game credits, as a mark hamill of respect.

First and foremost, I'd like to request, and I know this is probably a tall order, but it's important to me, and probably many others, I must insist on a PC port. I have been a loyal fan of both this particular title, and LucasArts adventures in general since childhood, but Full Throttle in particular was always my favorite. I have edited the original PC version into a very watchable cinematic experience and posted it on YouTube, with very positive feedback. I was looking forward to updating this once the new remaster, but it appears I won't be able to do this, let alone play it at all. I think you'd be forsaking a lot of hardcore fans by restricting the game to PS platform, only. Not everyone can afford to keep up with the latest consoles, and some do not prefer it for their gaming experience.

Secondly, I've had the occasion to speak with Keith Karloff (The Gone Jackals) on many occasions, and though I do not agree with him, I felt I should convey that he personally would like to hear modern bands cover his original tracks in this remaster. It's only fair he have a voice here.

Thirdly, if at all possible, I'd like to see some of Tim's original vision restored this time around, i.e. anything he was unable to include the first time around, though I understand this may be severely limited if you plan on restoring Roy Conrad's original V/Os...

I'd like to conclude by reinforcing the request to go full 16:9, as I think it would enhance the overall cinematic experience. I was a little disappointed that the Grim Fandango remaster (as beautiful as it was) did not take advantage of the new standard in aspect ratio. No one is going to be playing this on a 4:3 monitor.

I thank you for your time, and while I realize that there's only so much that can be done, I do urge you to carefully consider my suggestions.

Good day.

P.S. If anyone's interested, you can find my fan cut here:

It's always been my dream that Tim would eventually see it... lol

It was the same way with Grim and DOTT. Since DF was working with Sony, they were first released exclusively on PS and then PC followed later. That's no doubt what will happen here as well.

And before any console bashing starts, keep in mind it was Sony providing a lot of support and talks with Disney to get these off the ground for DoubleFine!

I'm pretty sure they came out on PS & PC on the same day anyway.