Double Fine Action Forums

I was just scrolling through some of the threads from earlier this month and saw Jel get banned and read through EGR being shut down. Can I ask for a succinct summary of what caused the moderation to become so much more heavy handed? Also is the fact that I have to login in order to lurk related to this?

On most forums it's generally not acceptable to create threads questioning mod decisions or protesting bans, etc. If you have a question about it, you should probably just PM one of the mods.

I'm not questioning whether anything they did was right or wrong- I'm wondering why they're so much more hands on now than they have been in the history of the forum and whether anything particular caused this. I think that's a question worth getting other people's opinions on.

Since someone who's not a mod is already condoning the thread getting locked/deleted should I assume that I'm just not going to get an answer?

Well you're kind of asking regular members to explain the decision-making of the mods, which I don't think is really the best way to get the explanation you're looking for.

Suffice to say, while EGR was a grand and long-lasting thread, it was also the source of 99% of the drama and flamewars and other problems on DFAF, despite all the great things about it. It was given many free passes, but then it was one drama too many. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Along the same lines, sometimes people are told to behave and they say they will and then they don't, and when that happens a lot of times in a row (regardless of whether it's the same person or different people), that tends to make people who are mods go like this:

Rebd7R6.gif

Would you say that things were getting progressively worse, and if yes then how what made it worse? If it were random the chance of both the EGR and Jel's camels backs breaking after 9 and 7 years respectively within a month of each other is quite low. Was there a change of attitudes? An escalation in anti-social behavior? Was everyone here likewise fed up with it?

Well you're kind of asking regular members to explain the decision-making of the mods, which I don't think is really the best way to get the explanation you're looking for.

Suffice to say, while EGR was a grand and long-lasting thread, it was also the source of 99% of the drama and flamewars and other problems on DFAF, despite all the great things about it. It was given many free passes, but then it was one drama too many. The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were.

Along the same lines, sometimes people are told to behave and they say they will and then they don't, and when that happens a lot of times in a row (regardless of whether it's the same person or different people), that tends to make people who are mods go like this:

Rebd7R6.gif

I didn't know that the mods were into playing blues and chaining up nymphos.

EGR was closed for two reasons. 1) Noname215 asked if rape jokes were funny. Even though most people either said no or stated that humor was subjective, Carl was outraged at the topic. Due to this topic, Cheese and Spaff warned us that EGR would be shut down if we talked about touchy subjects like rape. The biggest offender was Jel who posted an Islamaphobic cartoon which was removed. 2) When the Ghostbusters remake trailer came out, Carl and Right Said Brett got into an argument about the trailer with Carl defending the movie and Brett criticizing the movie. Both members flamed each other and as a result, Cheese had enough and closed EGR for good.

Jel was banned for posting another Islamaphobic picture in the Tracer Butt Pose controversy thread. What Jel did was pretty stupid and politically incorrect. The post also resulted in the thread being closed.

Would you say that things were getting progressively worse, and if yes then how what made it worse?

Incidents like the ones described by epic were starting to occur more and more frequently over the past couple of years, I would say, yes. There were other incidents before those. And a lot of them originated in EGR.

tbh i think this forum used to be better because it used to have more quirky artsy-types. now it's just all nerds

what if my entire DFAF persona is just one I created as a form of performance art?

As has been said, we generally don't respond to "why was this person banned" questions because... well, you're basically talking about someone behind their back who can't defend themselves, which isn't very nice. If asked, we tend to just say "they broke the rules", which is indeed what happened here. Beyond that is not a matter for public discussion, though we are MORE than willing to talk about things through PMs and such if you do have any serious concerns.

Epic's summary of events is accurate, but I would ask people not to ask further questions about the events that took place, the people involved or the actions that the mods took. In fact, it'd probably be better if we just let the whole thing drop.

So... yeah. No more posts about it, please.

As has been said, we generally don't respond to "why was this person banned" questions because... well, you're basically talking about someone behind their back who can't defend themselves, which isn't very nice. If asked, we tend to just say "they broke the rules", which is indeed what happened here. Beyond that is not a matter for public discussion.

Epic's summary of events is accurate, but I would ask people not to ask further questions about the events that took place, the people involved or the actions that the mods took. In fact, it'd probably be better if we just let the whole thing drop.

So... yeah. No more posts about it, please.

Your 2nd paragraph is a good enough reason to lock this thread if you have that power, so go ahead.

If he locks this, I want to have the last word.

Boobies!

Mod Edit: Ha! Denied! Besides, everyone knows the last word is 'zyxt'.

It's fair to have questions about happenings which affect the community, but as AnAnemoneInAnonymity mentioned, it's best to raise these sorts of things via PM (if you're not comfortable PMing one of the moderators, Double Fine's Community Manager Spaff is the best person to talk to - he's a super nice guy). We're super happy to hear feedback and answer questions, but as Darth Marsden says, let's avoid letting that spill over into everyday posting.

This thread's gone about as far as it needs to. I'm popping a closed thing on it for now.

Be awesome, people <3