Sign in to follow this  
Right Said Brett

'The Woods' (2016) - A Secret Sequel to 'The Blair Witch Project'?

For over a year now, the rumour mill has been saying that Adam Wingard's upcoming horror film, The Woods (a film shrouded in secrecy) is in actuality, a sequel to The Blair Witch Project. I've been awaiting news of a release date and any further information for what seems like an age now and finally, we have a teaser trailer...

sMEgSLetjHw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some evidence which supports the 'Blair Witch follow-up' theory...

* The studio behind the release, Lionsgate, also owns the rights to The Blair Witch Project.

* As I said, the rumours of this film's true identity go back to over a year ago. This information was passed on to various horror websites by an unnamed source.

* Just look at the teaser; it seems to be very much in style of The Blair Witch Project. Also note, that there was no such footage for the unnamed source I mentioned above, to draw upon at the time that they contacted the horror websites.

* Something I noticed; at the end of the teaser trailer, pay attention to the sounds that play when the title 'The Woods' comes on screen. Now where have a heard that sound before? Oh yes, the rocks being hit against each other at night, in The Blair Witch Project!

* Just like The Blair Witch Project, which brought the genre to the attention of the masses; The Woods is apparently a found footage film.

* When asked on twitter several months ago, what some of his favourite horror movies are; director of The Woods, Adam Wingard replied with one title only; "The Blair Witch Project".

* Even after this teaser trailer, there is a suspicious lack of information regarding what exactly this film is all about. For example, there's no synopsis beyond "a group of college students on a camping trip discover they are not alone". This is highly unusual for a film that is this close to release (September).

* Several journalists and critics have already seen the film and as is always the case with such things, they are bound by NDAs. However, what little they are saying about it, seems unusually cryptic. For example, one person who's seen it has said "I can't talk about it yet but I also can't wait for people to find out about what this movie actually is about. Horror fans are going to love it, once they see what happens".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm hoping, with all fingers and toes crossed, that this film turns out to be a true sequel to The Blair Witch Project, a film which I adore. Whilst I do feel that Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows is underrated and misunderstood*, it wasn't a continuation of the story from the original film but rather an examination of the popularity of the The Blair Witch Project upon it's initial release and the phenomenon of mass hysteria. I've long wanted a true sequel and I hope that The Woods is it.

Regardless of this film's true identity, it's getting some wonderful pre-release buzz and I am looking forward to it greatly. It's hopefully set to become one of this year's best horror films. Being a Blair Witch sequel would be like a delicious icing on top of the already sweet looking proverbial cake.

=====================================================

* Check out this video on Blair Witch 2 to see how misunderstood it is and also how studios without artistic integrity, love to screw with talented directors...

hAkmHSzUIHQ

Did you ever play any of the Blair Witch video games? The first one (which was essentially another chapter in the Nocturne game universe) was creepy and fun, the second was okay, but I couldn't finish the third it was so horrible.

Did you ever play any of the Blair Witch video games? The first one (which was essentially another chapter in the Nocturne game universe) was creepy and fun, the second was okay, but I couldn't finish the third it was so horrible.

I played the first one (Rustin Parr) and it was pretty creepy at times (especially when you're in the woods) but as you mentioned, it's set in the Nocturne universe, which I found to be disappointing. It meant that I couldn't take it seriously as being canonical. Actually, the fact that it had the player engaging in combat with ginormous walking stick-men, was probably the biggest tip off that it was not in alignment with the universe of the film!

The second game (The Legend of Coffin Rock), I watched a let's play of. Well, I watched half of a let's play before getting bored and moving on to other things.

The third (or should that be "turd", given your description of it), I didn't even bother with.

All in all, I found the games to be pretty "meh" and as I said, I really don't consider them to be related to the film. They're really a hypothetical 'what-if' scenario; a mere crossover with another series (kind of like Alien Vs Predator and all that tripe) but yeah, I was suitably spooked by the first game as a teenager.

The games did contain some of the history of the BW, but it wasn't anything you didn't already get from some of the exposition in the first movie.

Thinking back on THE sequel to Blair Witch I'm not sure I want A sequel to it any more.

Did you read my post, perchance? That wasn't really a sequel. It was more of a commentary upon the reaction to the The Blair Witch Project and an exploration of mass hysteria. Hopefully The Woods, if it is a Blair Witch film, will be a proper entry, set in the same universe.

Blair Witch 2 was originally supposed to be a very different horror film but Lionsgate kept screwing with the cut of the movie and we ended up with that piece of garbage.

Blair Witch 2 was originally supposed to be a very different horror film but Lionsgate kept screwing with the cut of the movie and we ended up with that piece of garbage.

Indeed. All of that is covered in the video that I posted in my original post.

...Starting to wonder if anyone reads anything I type. O_o

Indeed. All of that is covered in the video that I posted in my original post.

...Starting to wonder if anyone reads anything I type. O_o

Whoops. I missed that.

I've read spoilers about some of what happens in this movie, and it sounds pretty insane. Adam Wingard's movies always introduce a twist on the entire genre or type of movie you expect it to be, and Blair Witch 3 definitely goes into unexpected territory.