Sign in to follow this  
Carl

so are we ever gonna get EGR back or what

For those interested, we are moving to IP board. More details when i have them.

For those interested, we are moving to IP board. More details when i have them.

Looking at it now. I'm new to IP board. Are we just getting the forum software, or are we getting the entire suite of community apps, like user blogs, community chat, etc?

Maybe all of that is still TBD.

*waits*

^_^

It looks like there are special question/answer type threads which allow for the reddit style voting up/down of individual posts, but the thread has to be specially created that way (e.g. like creating a poll thread), so kinda the best of both worlds I guess.

I like IP.Board. (Not Invisionfree.) I used to admin an IP.Board forum for my RuneScape clan, back in the day.

Fantastic choice in forum software.

I like IP.Board. (Not Invisionfree.) I used to admin an IP.Board forum for my RuneScape clan, back in the day.

Fantastic choice in forum software.

Aye. I was a moderator on an IP.Board as well, on a forum that no longer exists dedicated to the Atari Jaguar. It's really nice, and there's a lot of options as well.

That forum had the chatroom on it, which was pretty entertaining and would definitely work here, so long as the userbase stayed the size it is now and doesn't swell up to DFA proportions again (which is really unlikely to happen, so I'm sure it'd work out).

Just as long as we stay linear. Am I right? Huh huh. Now, I'm worried.

Don't worry, you won't be seeing that nested comment style crap here. I've been pretty vocal from the get-go to make sure this forum stays well away from that layout. :P

Hear, hear! Suck it, nested threads!

And upvoting/downvoting as well. Maybe it's just me, but the whole upvoting/downvoting thing kinda in some ways strikes me as the moderation equivalent of

"We'll just put 'em on the honor system. Let 'em guard themselves."

tumblr_mqif9mmkCa1sq1g68o6_250.gif

Let's just do upvotes only. People could abuse the downvote feature and downvote bomb any user.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I must say, I don't know what sort of depraved person would ever abuse a downvote feature to show displeasure over a particular user.

BaqrUh5.png

Don't worry, you won't be seeing that nested comment style crap here. I've been pretty vocal from the get-go to make sure this forum stays well away from that layout. :P

And upvoting/downvoting as well. Maybe it's just me, but the whole upvoting/downvoting thing kinda in some ways strikes me as the moderation equivalent of

Let's just do upvotes only. People could abuse the downvote feature and downvote bomb any user.

I'm a bit late to this discussion, but I must say, I don't know what sort of depraved person would ever abuse a downvote feature to show displeasure over a particular user.

BaqrUh5.png

Is that you? If it is, how could anybody hate someone with a Hulk avatar

BaqrUh5.png

Is that you? If it is, how could anybody hate someone with a Hulk avatar

No, that was Kevin Bruner, the CEO of Telltale Games.

This was mine:

AEzcNjb.png

My all-time favorite forum that I was ever on (and which no longer exists) had a "karma" system. Similar to the likes/dilikes shown in those screenshots, it wasn't something on individual posts but was associated with a user's entire account/name. If you liked something a user did you could give them positive karma. If you disliked what they did, you could give them negative karma, and their displayed karma was the difference between those two. I think there was some kind of restriction on it, like you could only award/subtract karma once per day or every six hours or something like that.

Anyway, it turned into a whole situation where there were certain users who had tons of karma and it basically turned them into the divas of the forum. Then you'd have new users and veteran users whinging all the time in super passive aggressive posts about how nobody even likes them here and the whole forum is a cult of personality centered around its prom queens, etc etc. Or that it was impossible to feel welcome on a forum that is just a handful of established cliques having a karma circle jerk, etc etc.

And when particular users---especially users with short fuses and thin skins---noticed that their karma number was dropping all of a sudden, they would make angry posts like SCREW YOU GUYS I'M GOING HOME. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Not to mention that it encourages users to make posts with the specific aim of just trying to get karma (i.e. going out of their way to try and be the forum clown etc.)

And just UGH. It is NOT a great system.

Well, I should add that neither of those images was actually legitimate. I doctored both of them for a gag.

Ohh yeah. I forgot you used Pipboy on Telltale.

That's not a Pipboy. This is a Pipboy.

9b5205b190ef081f400947ab8600710a

This is the Vault Boy.

1458484746113974229.jpg

Ohh yeah. I forgot you used Pipboy on Telltale.

That's not a Pipboy. This is a Pipboy.

9b5205b190ef081f400947ab8600710a

This is the Vault Boy.

1458484746113974229.jpg

I'm always getting the two mixed up.

Weren't the dislikes scrapped before Kevin became CEO? I thought they got rid of them right away and Dan was still CEO when I left(with his 3-4K dislikes).

Weren't the dislikes scrapped before Kevin became CEO? I thought they got rid of them right away and Dan was still CEO when I left(with his 3-4K dislikes).

Remind me again how that happened?

Kevin definitely got rid of them. He posted something about how he had faith that the community would not abuse the dislike button and the next thing, the community decided to prove him wrong.

But yeah, I can't remember who was CEO at the time. I was just saying who he was now.

Kevin definitely got rid of them. He posted something about how he had faith that the community would not abuse the dislike button and the next thing, the community decided to prove him wrong.

865514.gif?b64lines=IE5PVywgSE9NRVIsIERPTidUIFlPVSBFQVQKdGhpcyBwaWUKIA==

hmm, does anyone know if the ip.board forum software has a feature that lets you go directly to your first unread post in a thread. that's a feature I like on another forum I've been seeing

I think all modern forum software has that. It's a feature I've longed for ever since I started visiting DFAF.

hmm, does anyone know if the ip.board forum software has a feature that lets you go directly to your first unread post in a thread. that's a feature I like on another forum I've been seeing

It does.

Dan Connors was CEO at the time, but Kevin Bruner was the one who was publicly posting about the downvotes, which led to people downvoting him.

However, downvotes were not removed until next Summer. It wasn't because of Kevin's downvotes, but rather, other users did not like downvotes either as they derailed threads and people did not have a common consensus on when to downvote something/what downvotes meant. Some people would downvote because they personally did not like what someone said/they disagreed with someone's opinion, others would downvote for someone being factually wrong about something, and some would downvote for trolling/spam etc. If someone who believed downvotes were for trolls/spam and got downvoted by someone else who though downvotes were for when you dissagreed with someone's opinion, the first person would get offended. It lead to lots of threads being derailed, and some people even ended up spamming upvote/downvote gifs from Reddit in threads to make jokes.

I think all modern forum software has that. It's a feature I've longed for ever since I started visiting DFAF.

I miss GTFP buttons every time I'm on DFAF.