buckysrevenge

The New™ Nintendo™ Thread™

Can't find the "Unofficial Official Nintendo Thread" (must have been one of those accidentally deleted?), so here's some bummer news for Wii U owners:

http://www.8worldsnews.com/zombie-vikings-stays-in-its-grave-wii-u-release-cancelled/

I emailed Mikael Forslind, the PR & Marketing Manager over at Zoink Games, to hopefully get some clarification on a potential Zombie Vikings Wii U release. He was kind enough to give me a reply, though his email had some unfortunate news: Zombie Vikings is no longer coming to Wii U. Instead, Mikael spoke about the studio focusing on other projects, and specifically mentioned the NX as a platform they were looking into for future development.

Since they're still working on an Xbone release (at least they were as of a May 4th blog post I saw), it's primarily the issue of the Wii U being seen not popular enough and/or as end of line for Indie Devs since NX is on the way.

Being that I don't have any other console and don't have a decent enough Windows laptop around to run it on Steam (my main system runs Linux), I'm SOL unless I just want to watch the cut scenes on someone's "Let's Play". Hi ho.

I didn't know it was supposed to be on the Wii U, but they mentioned that they were looking into making the game available for Linux and Mac, but couldn't because they're using a third party plugin that doesn't support those platforms. Maybe that's the reason the Wii U version was cancelled too?

you should call it the Newtendo™ Thread™

It mostly comes out at night. Mostly.

(Arguably, the dumbest thing I've posted in a while)

Is this like "New" Super Mario Bros.? Where eventually it will be the old New thread instead of the new New thread?

Is this like "New" Super Mario Bros.? Where eventually it will be the old New thread instead of the new New thread?
Probably.

I didn't know it was supposed to be on the Wii U, but they mentioned that they were looking into making the game available for Linux and Mac, but couldn't because they're using a third party plugin that doesn't support those platforms. Maybe that's the reason the Wii U version was cancelled too?

I don't know the real reason (beyond what's stated in the article), but based on a tweet back in February, they were still "working on converting it". I know that doesn't mean anything really (and I'm not holding it against them), but it sounds like they had hoped to get it running.

What happened to the old nintendo thread? WHAT DID I MISS?

if it was started by Jel then Spaff might have accidentally deleted it?

Ah ha. Yes that makes sense. I should have guessed that.

Not an unlikely scenario. The software the forum runs on right now is ancient and unwieldy. Thankfully plans are in motion to switch over to IPBoard.

Not an unlikely scenario. The software the forum runs on right now is ancient and unwieldy. Thankfully plans are in motion to switch over to IPBoard.

the way you guys talk about ipboard makes me think of this, lol

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDOI0cq6GZM

Just heard that Nintendo has apparently partnered with Monolith (creators of Xenoblade Chronicles) to build the new Zelda game in order to borrow their expertise at creating GIGANTIC worlds with zero loading screens.

I AM EXCITE.

Apparently it's confirmed that NX will not be digital only, as some were claiming might be the case (not that I shared their view).

What I want to know is if the physical games will go back to using carts. That would be very rad.

On 7/8/2017 at 1:29 PM, Chyron said:

Okay, I've played plenty of Breath of the Wild by now and...wait for it... I can't say it's my favorite Zelda game.

It's sooo different from the other games. I know people who complain about previous 3D Zeldas being too formulaic, but because this Zelda game so different in style, scope, and difficulty, et al., that comparing Breath of the Wild to Twilight Princess or Wind Waker is almost completely unfair. It's almost a completely different genre of game.

I've been playing this game for several dozen hours now. I don't recall how many. So much so that I'm addicted to it.

I love this game. It's fantastic. But the catch is I've played several other open world games before, and so certain aspects feel derivative. Yes, the towers in BOTW are better than those in Assassin's Creed. Yes, the open world action swordplay is better than in Shadow of Mordor. Yes, this game takes solid gamplay mechanics, improves them, adds fantastic story and dialogue, and rolls them into one amazing experience. But sometimes I'm playing the game and I feel like I've done these things in other games, even though this does it better.

This is in contrast to other Zelda games, where no one else does it quite like Zelda. If any other game copies Zelda gameplay, it's them copying it--not it copying them. It's as though Zelda basically wrote the book on action adventure games. But Breath of the Wild is largely consolidating and improving on existing mechanics from other properties. There are movies that I love that do this--like Star Wars. I love Star Wars. But I haven't seen the films and serials from which it was derived, and so I don't compare it to them.

So that's why I'm perplexed about where Breath of the Wild sits on my personal list of favorite Zelda games. It's wonderful, but it's derivative; while the other 3D games are original but formulaic. And I don't mind the formula because it just works.

BOTW is not my favourite. That spot is reserved for Twilight Princess which was just such a satisfying 3D Zelda experience in the perfect spirit of the classic formula with an epic story to boot. BOTW I do love very much, however. So I think for now I'll place it comfortably in 2nd place.

I've beated all the divine beasts and now I'm just hunting for all the shrines. I don't really need to get them all but I want that tunic. It's not even my favourite, I just want to collect them all. I also want to upgrade my Twilight Tunic set to full power but I need tons of topaz and star fragments and that will take time. So I've been using the Hero's Path feature on the map to find where I haven't been and so far I've discovered a couple new shrines already. Very handy feature! And I'm no where near 200 hours of playtime so I'm in no danger of losing the beginning of my progress in the game. The Hero's Path playback feature is really fun to watch and see where you've walked in real time (or sped up) right from the beginning!

I've only defeated two of the Divine Beasts (Rito and Zora), but I'm well on my way to accessing both of the remaining two. My current task has been to collect and upgrade non-amiibo armor sets. I've also bought a second Hylian set so that I can have one black set and one white (having watched various YouTube videos with people in a white hood and I liked it.)

I am not playing the game mostly-guide-free anymore. I decided that I had Nintendo Power when playing Zelda back in the day, so I'm using zeldadungeon.net's map to help me find shrines and koroks. ...when I go looking for shrines and koroks. I haven't been /actively/ hunting for them lately, at least on Normal Mode, as upgrading armor is proving to be very time consuming.

In addition, I also started a Master Mode file--since having defeated Ganon on Normal Mode already. I'm not far in that game, but have managed to reach Pondo's Lodge (snowball bowling). My goal in Master Mode is to: make enough money and farm enough Guardians that I can purchase the Ancient Armor and upgrade it; meanwhile, locate enough shrines for heart containers to get the Master Sword. And avoid combat as much as possible until then. Combat in Master Mode is SUPER difficult, but I know from Normal Mode that Hyrule Castle is littered with good quality, respawning weapons. So if I can get the Master Sword, the castle should be fair game to fill my inventory with decent weapons (given how the sword reacts while there). Basically, my objective in Master Mode is to get to where I don't die to bokoblins all the time.

Edited by Chyron

44 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Ruta is the Zora Divine Beast. ;)

I meant Rito. I don't remember the names of the beasts.

Edited by Chyron

I really love botw, but I do kinda miss the old formula as well. I got kinda burnt out on botw after a while to be honest. I spent too much time doing nothing but hunting koroks and bored myself when I should have just stuck to knocking out actual quests.

On a more general note, since we're here in ye olde Nintendo thread, here's my list of Switch games to purchase (or consider purchasing) in the coming months:

2017:
Mario+Rabbids (august)
Mario Oddyssey (October)
Steamworld Dig 2 (summer/fall)
Rime (summer/fall)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (holiday)
Snake Pass (already out)
Thumper (already out)
Wonder Boy (already out)

The Fall 2: Unbound (TBD)
Monster Boy & The Cursed Kingdom (TBD)
Rayman Legends (TBD)
Runner 3 (TBD)
Seasons of Heaven (TBD)

2018: Lost Sphear

When I got my Switch, I bought a bundle from GameStop that included Zelda, Mario Kart 8, and ARMS. So far, I don't really like ARMS at all. There's no story--it's just a janky boxing game where gameplay rewards you with unlocks for more glove types/weapons.

7 hours ago, fargetv said:

I thought you really disliked X-Com? If so: beware the Rabbids!

I like some elements of X-COM. It's too bad the parts that I hate ruin it. =P

For example, the new Shadowrunner games also use a very X-COM style combat system, and I really enjoy those games.

What I'll be picking up:

Skyrim
Minecraft
Hawaii: Shakedown

I picked up Binding of Isaac while I was in Texas and got the original release cover art (which is reversible!) unlike my sister who got the newer repackaged release. I also get Isaac stickers which don't come with the new repacked release! :D Isaac, btw, is as fun as ever on the go. Managed to beat mom and unlock the Cellar & Catacombs levels and a few new bosses and items as well.

Nothing else looks interesting atm that I'd want to have. Retro City Rampage is getting a surprise Switch release, I don't think that's much of a surprise, though. I may pick that up as well for a fun little distraction sometimes.

I finally got Super Smash Bros Wii U and Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U for my family to play with (my Switch is off limits unless I'm around. I take it with me everyday to work). Having problems launching either of them though because it demands a new system update for the Wii U which just came out this month apparently and won't let me play them until I update. Thing is, I can't update or I lose my homebrew. So I'll have to wait a bit...really anxious to try SSB out, though.