buckysrevenge

The New™ Nintendo™ Thread™

I love soundtrack music, and when playing Breath of the Wild, I find that I spend a good deal of time poking around Hyrule Castle just because I love the music so much.

I've been looking at Fast RMX and Redout, trying to decide which was a better futuristic racing game to get on my Switch.

And again it seems music is where it hit for me. I was on the fence , but decided I will wait for Redout after I heard the soundtrack.

Having played Breath of the Wild for 290+ hours (according to my Switch) and having completed all 120 shrines and destroyed Ganon on both Normal and Master Mode, I still can’t say where it lies on my list of favorite Zelda games. Its gameplay is almost incomparable to the other 3D Zeldas for a myriad of reasons.

For the record, I liked Master Mode better because it forced me to strategize ways to make money, acquire good armor and weapons, get the Master Sword early and visit many shrines, by necessity; whereas in Normal Mode I didn’t often have to run away from Bokoblins or risk death.

At the beginning of my Master Mode file, when I was racing on horseback to get to Pondo’s Lodge (snowball bowling), I saw people crying for help as they were being beaten on the side of the road by blue and silver bokoblins, but I had to leave them because I would only die in the attempt (as I tried and failed). I’ve never done that before in a Zelda game, and I'll never forget having to ride past as helpless people got their brains bashed in by monsters.

Nice. You convinced me to go take a look at it.

That Hylian set was dyed green. I have both a black set and a white set.

Edited by Chyron

How many of you guys own a Switch or are considering getting one at this point?

I just bought a Switch Pro Controller, and it really does feel solid.

Edited by Chyron

I have a Switch - with Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 7 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, Minecraft: Story Mode - The Complete Adventure, and the NEO GEO ACA games Super Sidekicks and Puzzled.

I actually like it quite a bit.  I wish they had internet apps on it like Netflix and Hulu though, then I'd probably use it as my main device instead of my tablet.

I find myself increasingly happy with the portability of the Switch. It almost makes me wonder why I brushed off the idea of ever owning a 3DS. And, as happens with new consoles for me, I am constantly looking for new titles from various genres to fill my library. I know it will take time to fill out the Switch's catalogue, but I'm really excited to see what games are coming out for it.

On a side note, I went into a local GameStop recently to see what Switch games they had. They had a handful of games, with several on an "Upcoming" shelf, in what felt like a disappointingly small selection. However, if you simply go to the Switch's eShop, their catalogue is increasingly satisfying to browse through. It was weird. Aside from PC gaming, I can't recall a time when I walked into a store looking at physical games and thought it was a waste of time compared to the online selection. Mind you, no matter the selection, I would have bought digital anyway and I have no loyalty to buying digital from GameStop.

Also, I could appreciate Netflix on Switch, but really I just want Plex. I use my media server a lot more than I use Netflix.

Edited by Chyron

Love my Switch. I have BOTW and Binding of Isaac. Wanting to grab Skyrim, Minecraft, Shakedown: Hawaii, Retro City Rampage DX, and Metroid Prime 4 when they're out/I have cash. First console in a long time I've been happy and excited to own. Love the portability and living room functionality.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I'm tired of classic game compilations like Namco Museum. I am interested in Dig Dug, Pac-Man and Galaga. I am not interested in anything else in the bundle. And I am not interested in paying $30 for those three games.

I understand that a compilation can get people to pay more money for more well-known classic games because the lesser-known games probably wouldn't sell on their own. But at the same time, I feel that a compilation like this doesn't make sense in a digital format. As a physical game, yes. The physical media costs money to manufacture and takes up real-world space. But on the digital market you're just burying individual games one more menu deeper from the main screen and bloating the software with menu items the consumer may not want. Plus, bandwidth and hard drive space is cheap these days. It wouldn't cost that much to have eShop store entries for each game.

Edited by Chyron