Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

1.04 patch notes

Hello all!

Day of the Tentacle Remastered has been updated today with a mixture of bug fixes and requested features!

We looked at the highest rated issues on our support site, and tried to address everything we agreed would be great to have fixed or added. I'm happy to report that along with numerous fixes, we were able to address requests such as adding more save slots to Maniac Mansion, and adding in the classic compressed sound effects as an alternate sound option.

Unless major issues are discovered, this will be the final update for DOTT Remastered (apart from the Linux version, still coming soon!) allowing the team to move on to work on Full Throttle Remastered!

NEW:

- Maniac Mansion - added multiple save slots and support for saving anywhere (except during cutscenes).

- Audio - added a setting to toggle between remastered and classic sound effects

- Accessibility - added a command line flag "--UIModeAccessibility" that turns on some extra UI controls to remove need for keyboard input in some situations.

- Audio - fixed "FIRE!!!" voice over line not playing if subtitles are turned off.

- Audio - fixed a classic game bug where Bernard would say one of Laverne's lines in the Lobby in a specific situation.

-Controls - added the ability to skip dialog lines by tapping on the screen when using touch controls. This is only available for touch screen PCs.

- Controls - added a way to trigger object highlight using touch. Hold two fingers on the screen to use. This is only available for touch screen PCs.

- UI - added touch UI for opening the pause menu in DoTT verb bar mode and in Maniac Mansion. This only appears when using touch controls.

- UI - fixed a bug in verb dial mode where a certain inventory object's morph animation didn't play correctly during a certain puzzle.

- Settings - fixed a bug where the fullscreen setting wouldn't save properly for some players.

- OSX - touch pad taps now register as clicks.

- OSX - clarified the controls help text to indicate you may need to press Fn+F1 to toggle render modes.

Also fixed on GOG, Mac App store and Humble builds but not on steam, as steam is incompatible with the file system

- OSX - added support for case-sensitive file systems.

Please note:

Steam is live now, Gog, Humble and Mac App store versions will be updated shortly.

1.04 is my own numbering system for these patches, actual build numbers vary across sites.

PS4 version has to go through a whole submission process, so it takes a little longer but it should arrive really soon!

Very impressive work on the addition of save slots for Maniac Mansion! And I never realised how much I would miss hearing all the original sound effects while playing Classic Mode. I can also see that a lot of hard work went into the controls and accessibility for different platforms.

However...

- UI - fixed a bug in verb dial mode where a certain inventory object’s morph animation didn’t play correctly during a certain puzzle.

This doesn't appear to be fixed, I'm afraid. In Verb mode the animation is still missing and in Dial mode, you still see nothing during this sequence.

EDIT:

On further inspection, I can confirm that this HAS been fixed after all! I just had to start a new game from scratch, and it worked even in Dial mode!

Nice one, Double Fine. You rock!

Maniac Mansion - added multiple save slots and support for saving anywhere (except during cutscenes).

Legendary!!!

Hopefully they won't also disappear randomly like the auto saves do.

I did a lot of testing to try and nail down what caused the saves to keep vanishing and can't say for sure if it has something to do with switching from PS4 to Vita, or from online to offline mode or what. All I know if that I have lost too many of them to want to ever try playing the game for real again until I know I can actually save.

Can't wait to get back into it after the playstation version update!

and adding in the classic compressed sound effects as an alternate sound option.

YES! THANK YOU! You don't know how glad I am to hear these iconic sounds again! :D

Thanks so much for listening to our feedback! <3

Unless major issues are discovered, this will be the final update for DOTT Remastered (apart from the Linux version, still coming soon!) allowing the team to move on to work on Full Throttle Remastered!

So you're not going to fix the botched music of Weird Ed's cutscene? That's really unfortunate. That's one of my favourite scenes and it feels pretty weak without the proper music. :(

Great news. Thanks, DF.

Yes, it's a shame that the music bug in Ed's room wasn't fixed. The issue itself didn't get much love, but it should have done!

Great news. Thanks, DF.

Yes, it's a shame that the music bug in Ed's room wasn't fixed. The issue itself didn't get much love, but it should have done!

It's not even really a bug, it's just that a few files got mixed up and have the wrong names which could VERY easily be fixed, I assume.

Great news. Thanks, DF.

It's not even really a bug, it's just that a few files got mixed up and have the wrong names which could VERY easily be fixed, I assume.

Can you explain the problem you are experiencing in more detail? I am not sure I totally understand the issue. We did try to pour over all the feedback and address everything we could.

Great news. Thanks, DF.

Can you explain the problem you are experiencing in more detail? I am not sure I totally understand the issue. We did try to pour over all the feedback and address everything we could.

It's been right here in as much detail as I was able to put it:

http://support.doublefine.com/forums/300498-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered/suggestions/13423470-a-number-of-things-wrong-with-the-weird-ed-cutscen

It becomes quite clear what the issues are once you compare the scene to the original game.

Damn, I feel like I am late to the party here but I wanted to make a small suggestion for a patch :( Don't you want to make it 1.05? 5 is a much better number! I was just going to say, with the dial, on pc/mac... I think it would be much better if it was click and drag to open up the dial, like Full Throttle and Curse of Monkey Island. Having to right click and then click again feels a little tedious to me! It makes me want to have the verbs always displayed so I can easily do things with a simple right click. It just kind of feels like a step backwards with the extra click for the dial.

(Also, that missing tree in the present in the remastered graphics, such a shame)

Great news. Thanks, DF.

http://support.doublefine.com/forums/300498-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered/suggestions/13423470-a-number-of-things-wrong-with-the-weird-ed-cutscen

It becomes quite clear what the issues are once you compare the scene to the original game.

Ahh, gotcha. I think there was some confusion around this bug while we were working on the patch. We are going to try our best to fix this if it is an easy fix, but I can't guarantee we will be able to address this one.

Great news. Thanks, DF.

Ahh, gotcha. I think there was some confusion around this bug while we were working on the patch. We are going to try our best to fix this if it is an easy fix, but I can't guarantee we will be able to address this one.

Great! In that case you can address the things I mentioned too ;) There are also some other funny things going on with the volume of certain classic music (some instruments are noticeably too loud), I think particularly in the case of Purple Tentacle's future room and with Red Edison. Though I think there may have been other moments. Personally I prefer the remastered music anyway but if someone is looking to play it in classic mode it is a bit of an issue.

Nice, it would be really appreciated!

Maybe while you're at it you can look at this too?

http://support.doublefine.com/forums/300498-day-of-the-tentacle-remastered/suggestions/13226064-piece-of-music-sounds-unfinished

It's minor but it still throws me off every time. Sounds so cheap.

And while you're at it: Could you PLEASE scan and add Peter Chan's Adventurer cover artwork to the concepts library? Tim has it hanging in his office!

Are you guys going to FIX the audio slowdown that apparently only occurs to Steam users on windows 7 64 bits?, it's quite annoying to quit the game every ten minutes.

I'm also getting chopped sound after the patch v1.04.

Are you guys going to FIX the audio slowdown that apparently only occurs to Steam users on windows 7 64 bits?, it's quite annoying to quit the game every ten minutes.

I'm also getting chopped sound after the patch v1.04.

This sounds like an issue with your sound device :-/

And while you're at it: Could you PLEASE scan and add Peter Chan's Adventurer cover artwork to the concepts library? Tim has it hanging in his office!

I guess anyone in the office could just scan it and post it to the forums. Does it have to be in the game itself?

I guess anyone in the office could just scan it and post it to the forums. Does it have to be in the game itself?

Sure, I'd happily take a high-res scan of the thing any day... I'd even prefer it over just including it in the game, since the concept art there is only at 1080p resolution.

I think the least amount of work it is for someone to squeeze in, the more likely it is to happen.

ShyGuy: Do you know which files need to be renamed, and what they need to be renamed to?

Ok, so in HD it plays:

HQ_BOOKTOSS_00 for part 1 (ink spill)

HQ_BOOKTOSS_01 for part 2 (mad ed)

HQ_BOOKTOSS_02 for part 3 (book to head)

HQ_BOOKTOSS_00 plays what HQ_BOOKTOSS_02 should be playing.

So rename HQ_BOOKTOSS_00 to HQ_BOOKTOSS_02.

The current HQ_BOOKTOSS_00 is a combination of HQ_BOOKTOSS_02 and HQ_BOOKTOSS_02_99.

The file which SHOULD be called HQ_BOOKTOSS_00 is missing. It's the equivalent of Classic_BOOKTOSS_00.

I assume it accidentally got replaced with the other file.

HQ_BOOKTOSS_01 is right but it should also be playing HQ_BOOKTOSS_01_99 during part 2 and should fade out when Bernard leaves the room.

As for classic mode:

Part 1 and 3 are fine.

But during part 2 the correct instruments aren't fading out.

I'm guessing Classic_BOOKTOSS_01 is supposed to stay while the others fade out and while it seems like Classic_BOOKTOSS_01_7 through Classic_BOOKTOSS_01_9 do indeed fade out, Classic_BOOKTOSS_01 still has a lot of the other instruments in it.

So for this you'd have to move those midi channels to the other files until there's only the high-pitched organ remaining (I'm guessing that's what it's supposed to be).

I assume all these files still exist and don't have to be remade from scratch, they just need to be saved in a different way. (I hope)

Oh, I just noticed another thing.

In Classic mode when you chase the chattering teeth it plays Classic_CONVHALL_01 and Classic_CONVHALL_01_12.

But Classic_CONVHALL_01_12 is messed up. It plays out of synch and seemingly way too fast.

I put the 2 files together into Audacity and slowed down "...01_12" by 23,5% and it fits.

Ha DF should just contract ShyGuy for a week, he'd sort out the nitpicking bugs. :P

Classic_CONVHALL_03_12 is also 23,5% too slow.

...I think I might as well check the entire soundtrack while I'm at it. I'll be sure to let y'all know if I find anything else. ^^

It's a bit late for all this now, ShyGuy. I think Double Fine are done with this sort of patching at this point.

That's why you'll have to do it...YESTERDAY! To the time machine!

But... they can't just stop! This is supposed to be the definitive version of the game!

And we're not just talking about bugs that only a few players will see during some playthroughs on specific conditions. These are mistakes you will hear on every platform, during every playthrough.

What, do we have to make another remastered version in 20 years that fixes these mistakes? No, we don't! We can make as many updates as we want until the game is perfect. Sure, it means a bit more work but once the mistakes are fixed, they'll be fixed forever. And it's not even a huge endeavor like adding saves to maniac mansion was.

...OR we could, of course, just leave it as it is and it will forever be known as the version with the partially botched audio. If that's good enough for you, great....

...but for me it's not.

I already had to settle for the horrible german translation being used again. I at least want the regular version to be fantastic.

The added classic sound effects were already a HUGE plus for me. I love that they're in the game now. And now the game is SO close. SO CLOSE to being perfect!

You can already taste it!

But... they can't just stop! This is supposed to be the definitive version of the game!

I felt the same way about Grim Fandango. It was supposed to be the "Criterion Edition" - a version restored to its best possible quality for posterity -- but there's still bugs and quirks that were never fixed or addressed... including new ones. It's kind of heartbreaking for me. Don't get me wrong: I know there was a ton of AMAZING things added to the Remastered version, and it is now the definitive version to play by a MILE.