1 hour ago, Tiny Dust! said:

No Ip Man? When I watched that movie it blew my mind. Even the early, less serious scenes are freaking fantastic.

I love Ip Man (check out a related movie called The Grandmaster, but make sure it's not the version released in American theaters), but I love the ones I put down even more.

My wife saw the list and went "What, no Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?" I think that movie is pretty ok, but again, it's a matter of personal preference. 

Edited by Noname215

1 minute ago, Tiny Dust! said:

I wouldn't call movies like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers true Kung Fu movies but their own seperate genre of Wuxia.

I wrote a 125 page script for a Kung fu movie as part of a class assignment in high school. The assignment itself was to write a 20 page story and have it be set during a certain dynasty in Chinese history. I was already working on it beforehand (I called it One Hundred Flying Fists) so I turned it in just to see where it would get me. He gave me an A, told me I was unnaturally dedicated to what was essentially a minuscule project for that semester, and then admitted he didn't read the entire thing.

It was set during the Tang Dynasty and revolved around a blind martial artist who was raised by his Shaolin monk uncle and sets out to take revenge against the warlord who slaughtered his family and blinded him. To get to him he has to take part in a brutal contest in which he and four other competitors must fight their way through a series of booby trapped catacombs and face down one hundred former monks who are trained to kill in the most horrible ways. It mainly a smorgasbord of throwbacks to classic Kung fu movies like Enter The Dragon, 18 Bronzemen, House of Traps, pretty much me just having fun.

I didn't like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I know the style of the film meant to intentionally be over the top with the wire fu, but the unbelievability of the effects broke my suspension of disbelief and so I was unable to follow the story clearly.

Agreed. The movie works a lot better when it's just people throwing down rather than them flying through the air.

I haven't even watched the sequel on Netflix.

Sometimes I need to remind myself just how much the martial arts genre stretches. Movies like 5 Deadly Venoms are straight Kung fu, then you have crazy wuxia movies (Crouching Tiger or Death Duel), comedy hybrids (The Treasure Hunters and a majority of Jackie Chan's filmography), and Karate movies (The Street Fighter and Bloodsport). Steven Seagal movies tend to have mixes of different kinds of fighting styles like Aikido, Kendo, Judo, Karate, stuff like that. And Bruce Lee's fighting style, Jeet Kune Do, was his own.

I also have a soft spot for Jim Kelly's movie Black Belt Jones. Corny blaxploitation martial arts.

I love these guys.

I would throw a few more in, but a lot of their stuff is very NSFW 

5 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

So all the threads I deleted before are gone again.

Some are, some aren't. Still looking into exactly what happened.

Dust has magical forum powers and the usual forum rules don't apply here. That's my running theory.

5 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Dust has magical forum powers and the usual forum rules don't apply here. That's my running theory.

It's true, I have discussed Europa many times and never have I been banned for my hubris. Hell, I've been Europa.

giphy.gif

They both exist and don't exist?

I guess we can agree that the idea of the threads exists.

5 hours ago, Johro said:

They both exist and don't exist?

Bookdust shall henceforth be known as Schrödinger due to the paradoxical nature of these threads

36 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

I'm sorry Few, I hope the rest of the day is better.

Very unlikely.

The air conditioner in my house broke on Wednesday last week. Been out of town or at parents' since then as it's over 90 degrees in the house. Repair guy said it needed to be replaced. Fortunately, I have a policy with American Home Shield (which is like insurance on in-home appliances and such.)

They're finally coming out today to fix it.

So here's how my morning went:

Spoiler

Okay, so first you need to understand is that our house is a four floor split level that's built on a steep hill, with the front ground floor having the kitchen, dining and sitting rooms, the downstairs (and back ground floor) having the family room, which is where my dad lives. The basement is directly under the front ground floor, and the bedroom area is directly above the downstairs area.

At some point this morning or last night, my dad dropped and broke a glass downstairs. Then he spilled vodka on some of his clean clothing. This made him angry. 

He decided the best course of action was to come upstairs at 9am, yell at us for not cleaning enough, and set up an obstacle course for us by putting dirty clothes/stuff he wanted dealt with in front of all the stairs, the coffee machine, and the garage door. He then left for work.

When I got up at around 10:30ish, I moved stuff out of the way so my mom and brother didn't trip over it, and went downstairs to grab a laundry basket to pick up the laundry he left everywhere. That's when I found the broken glass by stepping on it. So the second thing I did after clearing the staircases was limp up the stairs while bleeding profusely from one foot, while picking peaces of glass up.

The good news is I don't need stitches, since I only had a small piece actually cut into my foot. I did get blood everywhere though and we're still finding pieces of glass. 8^(

11 minutes ago, Feddlefew said:

Hide contents

Okay, so first you need to understand is that our house is a four floor split level that's built on a steep hill, with the front ground floor having the kitchen, dining and sitting rooms, the downstairs (and back ground floor) having the family room, which is where my dad lives. The basement is directly under the front ground floor, and the bedroom area is directly above the downstairs area.

At some point this morning or last night, my dad dropped and broke a glass downstairs. Then he spilled vodka on some of his clean clothing. This made him angry. 

He decided the best course of action was to come upstairs at 9am, yell at us for not cleaning enough, and set up an obstacle course for us by putting dirty clothes/stuff he wanted dealt with in front of all the stairs, the coffee machine, and the garage door. He then left for work.

When I got up at around 10:30ish, I moved stuff out of the way so my mom and brother didn't trip over it, and went downstairs to grab a laundry basket to pick up the laundry he left everywhere. That's when I found the broken glass by stepping on it. So the second thing I did after clearing the staircases was limp up the stairs while bleeding profusely from one foot, while picking peaces of glass up.

The good news is I don't need stitches, since I only had a small piece actually cut into my foot. I did get blood everywhere though and we're still finding pieces of glass. 8^(

Jesus Christ, I'll never complain about anything again.

Few I'm really sorry that happened. I hope your foot heals quickly, and I hope things at home improve.

1 hour ago, Chyron said:

Where are you going to college?

I'll tell you some other time.

7 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds bloody awful.

I wish this was a full movie...  We already had to wait 3 years for a second episode.

2 hours ago, Johro said:

I wish this was a full movie...  We already had to wait 3 years for a second episode.

Did you say 3 years?  Don't tell Gaben!

1 hour ago, Alcoremortis said:

I like that Gordon Freeman still doesn't talk.

When does Half Life 3 come out Mr. Freeman?  Oh, no comment?  Can I speak to Gaben?  Fine, I'll stop talking.