What's funnier is that there's an episode 1, 2.1, and 2.2

...Yeah.  Since this took about 5 years to get this far, I have a feeling this won't have a 3 either.

My employer is such a disastrous organisation. I have to take a train to another city tomorrow, because the project we are working on has all its data on a server with no service agreement. Now, the server is down, and nobody in the organisation knows how to get it online, or cares about it.

I have no sever experience, and I have to try to get all our files out and onto an external hard drive. Everything we have made is on that server, which is a project for a customer worth about $3 million. The project is supposed to be handed over to the customer next Friday, and I'm supposed to fix a lot of issues these days, not ride trains for several hours.

They called me half an hour ago and told me that they have never performed a backup of the server. I was horrified, and told my boss. He said "That's not good. But I'm sure it will work out."

I'm leaving my employer on the same day that the project finishes.

@fargetv Yikes, that sounds awful. I'm working as a software developer myself, and I've been through several horrifiying scenarios myself, with people not thinking about backups, security, etc. What you describe sounds awful, but also not suprising. I've been shocked throughout the years how little effort that can be put towards making projects and systems sustainable and manageable. 

Sounds good that you're leaving, because I assume it's a very stressful situation. 

@CecilRousso Yes, I'm quite stressed. I don't think the data is lost, but I'm anxious about how to get everything I need, and the time it takes to set everything up again before Monday. I'm so tired of the management and backend parts of my employer that I almost just gave up today, thinking "I'm leaving, anyway." But I want the project to have good results. Blah.

I'm hoping that my upcoming Swedish employer is better. I sure seems like it!

3 hours ago, fargetv said:

@CecilRousso Yes, I'm quite stressed. I don't think the data is lost, but I'm anxious about how to get everything I need, and the time it takes to set everything up again before Monday. I'm so tired of the management and backend parts of my employer that I almost just gave up today, thinking "I'm leaving, anyway." But I want the project to have good results. Blah.

I'm hoping that my upcoming Swedish employer is better. I sure seems like it!

I can understand that willingness to still do a good job and get the result. Just remember that your employer is the one that owes it to you, to give you the resources (time, docs, etc) to enable you to get that result done. Not that all employers understand such basic things, but still. 

I hope your upcoming swedish employer is better :). But us swedes can be dicks, just like any other nationality. 

1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

I can understand that willingness to still do a good job and get the result. Just remember that your employer is the one that owes it to you, to give you the resources (time, docs, etc) to enable you to get that result done. Not that all employers understand such basic things, but still. 

I hope your upcoming swedish employer is better :). But us swedes can be dicks, just like any other nationality. 

Thanks!

Yes, I wasn't really implying that swedes are necessarily great people :) But the company culture and organisation seems much better, and they seem much more capable of performing tasks than my current employer. And they have a proper flat structure that fits much better into the nordic society in general than the insanely hierarchical structure of my current french employer.

3 hours ago, fargetv said:

Thanks!

Yes, I wasn't really implying that swedes are necessarily great people :) But the company culture and organisation seems much better, and they seem much more capable of performing tasks than my current employer. And they have a proper flat structure that fits much better into the nordic society in general than the insanely hierarchical structure of my current french employer.

Sounds good. Hope it works out wel for you. :) 

Trying to help my niece with her algebra homework makes me feel like the epitome of stupid.

1 hour ago, epic said:

Posted this on Neogaf about that topic. 

Thanks for this Mr. Laidlaw. It was long since I actually cared for the series, Valve killed of that interest, but I still wanted this adressed somehow. I hope that Valve are annoyed by this, so this works as a middle finger to them, for having abandoned the HL fanbase.

3 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Trying to help my niece with her algebra homework makes me feel like the epitome of stupid.

Distract her by teaching her calculus instead.

47 minutes ago, Tiny Dust! said:

The new The Tick series on Amazon is pretty fantastic.

I watched the pilot and thought it was great.

I watched the Tick pilot when it first went up and I thought it was pretty bad. It spends loads of time setting up complicated backstory and lore, it barely has any jokes in it, the Tick is hardly in it either, and Serafinowicz doesn't seem to have a solid take on the character. As someone who loved the cartoon and enjoyed the Warburton live-action, as well as Edlund's work on stuff like Firefly and Supernatural, I couldn't believe he had turned that script in.

I'm going to try the series out in hopes that they get past a lot of that stuff very quickly.

I don't know if anyone here lives in New York, but if you do, please tell your representatives to support the Fair Repair Act.

If New York passes this legislation, they will be the first state in the United States that allows businesses to repair equipment without the manufacturers being able to claim that it voided the warranty. It will also require companies to provide documentation and replacement parts to New York businesses. This includes repair of computers, smartphones, video game consoles, and even farm equipment.

When I owned my computer repair shop in upstate New York, I had to turn customers away who wanted me to repair their smartphones and tablets because there wasn't a lot of documentation for repair available for these devices, and because it would void their warranties.

If you live in New York, please add your name to this campaign to make sure that manufacturers can't require that they are the only companies that can repair these devices. New York can be the first state to stand up to the large corporations to keep them from hurting the livelihood of repair businesses.

http://newyork.repair.org/

7 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

I watched the Tick pilot when it first went up and I thought it was pretty bad. It spends loads of time setting up complicated backstory and lore, it barely has any jokes in it, the Tick is hardly in it either, and Serafinowicz doesn't seem to have a solid take on the character. As someone who loved the cartoon and enjoyed the Warburton live-action, as well as Edlund's work on stuff like Firefly and Supernatural, I couldn't believe he had turned that script in.

I'm going to try the series out in hopes that they get past a lot of that stuff very quickly.

There were episodes of the cartoon focused on Arthur too.  Quite a few of them had The Tick acting as a secondary character as well, popping in and out of the episode.  I think it followed the spirit of the show quite well.  Shit, it even took exact quotes from it.

10 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Posted this on Neogaf about that topic. 

Thanks for this Mr. Laidlaw. It was long since I actually cared for the series, Valve killed of that interest, but I still wanted this adressed somehow. I hope that Valve are annoyed by this, so this works as a middle finger to them, for having abandoned the HL fanbase.

You can tell we're losing faith and hope in Valve with this.

@epic Adult Swim is releasing a Blu-Ray box set for Samurai Jack: The Complete Series in October.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

@epic Adult Swim is releasing a Blu-Ray box set for Samurai Jack: The Complete Series in October.

Yeah I know and Aku is on the cover.

4 hours ago, Johro said:

There were episodes of the cartoon focused on Arthur too.  Quite a few of them had The Tick acting as a secondary character as well, popping in and out of the episode.  I think it followed the spirit of the show quite well.  Shit, it even took exact quotes from it.

For a pilot episode (that people were supposed to vote for against others) it was a strange move, though, and that was probably the smallest of the issues I listed. I tried two more episodes and am still not enjoying it. If others do, though, that's great: it may encourage people to check out the old stuff and maybe give this version enough time to get better (I think I read somewhere that it's already had 6 more episodes commissioned).

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

@epic How're you feeling about Hurricane Harvey

I'm fortunate that I live in North Texas instead of South Texas, but we're gonna get some rain.  Stay safe Houston!

Early reviews for Stephen King's It are coming out, the general consensus being that it is the best horror film of the year (Skarsgard's Pennywise is supposed to be fantastic) while also incorporating themes from King's novel that in the hands of a lesser director would have been left out, such as the anger and sadness children feel when the ones who are supposed to love and protect them do the opposite. 

I can't wait to see this film.

I don't know why people want to pay and watch Mayweather vs. McGregor tonight.  It's obvious that Mayweather will win since McGregor has never been in the boxing industry before.  I rather watch Rocky IV and/or V than this.

2 hours ago, epic said:

I don't know why people want to pay and watch Mayweather vs. McGregor tonight.  It's obvious that Mayweather will win since McGregor has never been in the boxing industry before.  I rather watch Rocky IV and/or V than this.

HEY. Rocky IV is awesome.

And I personally would rather see McGregor win because after the Mayweather/Pacquiao match, I would love to see Mayweather finally get KTFO.