One of the bigger themes of the novel is testosterone/masculinity, and it being what propels these boys to savagery with their king of the hill act.

I'm gonna tread carefully when this topic. I remember all too well what happened last time.

I think it can be done and done well, I just don't have a lot of faith that whoever's writing it has given a lot of thought about why the original novel works so well and how to translate it to working equally well with girls.

Like, with Ghostbusters, for example, there was no reason the same concept wouldn't work with a female cast. You could literally genderswap the entire original movie and very little would change. But yeah, Lord of the Flies has the whole toxic masculinity underlying theme which is really hard to find an appropriate analogy for girls.

I'm sure the ghostjob scene with Aykroyd would come across as a lot stranger.

15 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Double standard, I guess?

I don't understand what you mean.

How would the ghostjob scene be stranger in an all lady Ghostbusters and/or a double standard?

Edited by Tiny Dust!

EDIT: Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Bad idea. Moving on.

Edited by Noname215

Two of my favourite Stephen King film adaptation are Christine and Needful Things.  These movies are also generally disliked.  What do people know!?!

I'm pretty sure Peter Venkman's character, especially when interacting with/hitting on women (Dana: "That's the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there." Peter: "...What a crime.") would not have translated well if roles were gender swapped. In general, women's attitudes towards sex and/or romance are different, so it would have been odd for a Dean Barrett to brush off a Petra Venkman's overt sexual advances.

EDIT: Also, certain jokes wouldn't work:

Ray: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Peter: Yes it's true. This man has no dick.

Edited by Chyron

7 hours ago, Johro said:

Two of my favourite Stephen King film adaptation are Christine and Needful Things.  These movies are also generally disliked.  What do people know!?!

I like Christine.

Also, here's the trailer for the adaptation of Gerald's Game

5 hours ago, Chyron said:

I'm pretty sure Peter Venkman's character, especially when interacting with/hitting on women (Dana: "That's the bedroom, but nothing ever happened in there." Peter: "...What a crime.") would not have translated well if roles were gender swapped. In general, women's attitudes towards sex and/or romance are different, so it would have been odd for a Dean Barrett to brush off a Petra Venkman's overt sexual advances.

EDIT: Also, certain jokes wouldn't work:

Ray: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Walter Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Peter: Yes it's true. This man has no dick.

While Peter's misogyny would have been a weird look on a woman for sure. I don't dislike the idea of a lady Lothario with a Bill Murrayesque charm pursuing another woman who is kind of into it but just wishes she could focus on the freaking ghosts already.

As for the dickless joke. I don't see the problem at all.

Edited by Tiny Dust!

11 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Yeah, the dickless joke isn't the one I would choose.

Which joke would you choose?

I definitely don't think a shot for shot rehash of the original Ghostbusters with a female cast is viable, theoretically. But I do think you could make 90-95% of it without major alterations to the script, and almost none to the actual scene to scene story. Which was Al's point. There's nothing about Ghostbusters in terms of plot or theme that necessitates a reworking of said plot or themes to fit a gender swapped cast.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

Yeah, the dickless joke isn't the one I would choose.

It just doesn't work the same. Women are not 1:1 swappable with men (nor vice versa). Granted, yes, most of it would work, but the devil is somewhat in the details. There's a nuance to the character interaction and how the audience reacts to them. I'm just saying there's a certain charm that doesn't necessarily translate when substituting one sex for the other.

I'm not trying to shoot down the whole idea of it. I'm just saying color me skeptical of it hitting the right notes in the right places like the original did.

The joke doesn't work because it's one thing for a guy to accuse another guy of having no dick. It's another for a woman to accuse a guy of it in front of other women, nor do I know what female body part one woman could accuse another woman of having a lack thereof that could, from an audience perspective, be considered a (decent) joke. Fake boobs? ...nah. Fake shoes?

although... it does make me think of a joke from Monster-in-Law where the grandmother-in-law(-in-law) accused the mother-in-law of drinking red wine from a box. And just remembering that makes me laugh. So maybe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYFI1-FTw94&t=1m35s

Edited by Chyron

This conversation started as a comparison of the difficulty of adaptability of Lord of the Flies with an all female cast to that of Ghostbusters on the basis of plot and theme.

There are elements of Lord of the Flies in terms of theme that necessitate a total rethink for the themes of a gender swapped adaptation.

Ghostbusters isn't a commentary on gender or gender expression and does not require a similar reworking.

That was the comparison being made.

Nobody actually cares about an all female Ghostbusters anymore.

9 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

My bank just charged me $40 in overdraft fees for a non-existent return costing $0.00.

giphy.gif

I believe that is illegal.

5 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

So what is the theme of Ghostbusters?

8 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

So what is the theme of Ghostbusters?

I can't remember where I first heard it (maybe it was in a commentary?), but there's been a suggestion that Ghostbusters is "the ultimate startup film". From that perspective, it could nearly be seen through the lens of a "against all odds, you can start a successful business without sacrificing your personal identity" type theme (characters don't have overt arcs, and maintain their stances through various hurdles that could challenge them - culminating with the outcomes of Ray's inability to stop his imagination running wild), but it's hard to know if this was intentional.

IIRC Ghostbusters began conceptually as a story set much later, when ghostbusters were seen as the "garbage men" of a world where the supernatural manifested in ways that potentially endanger society. In this incarnation, they would have been typical taken-for-granted blue-collar workers, presumably rising from class oppression to save the city and earn the recognition and respect of society, which feels like a pretty 1980s theme (I think the DVD commentary mentions paramedics and firefighters, but I'm sure that "garbage men" had come up when I'd first read about that aspect of the film's history, and it was focusing on them being downtrodden),  and maybe has echoes in the final version of the film. Supposedly its projected budget was too high and Ramis was brought onboard to do a rewrite that became more of an origin story.

Ghostbusters definitely bucks a bunch of popular storytelling/filmmaking norms, which is fascinating for a hit pop culture feature like that. It's got more in common with modern TV sitcoms, and maybe that reflects the film and its creators' roots in Saturday Night Live's approach toward comedy that was apparently (I wasn't around in the late 70s, and wasn't really old enough to watch TV in the early 80s) had a big impact on western TV/film.

My early morning thoughts: if they ever did a live action version of Rick and Morty, it would be a crying shame if they didn't get Capaldi to play Rick.

He could even play Scottish Rick if he wanted. I don't care.

This is all.

10 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

My early morning thoughts: if they ever did a live action version of Rick and Morty, it would be a crying shame if they didn't get Capaldi to play Rick.

He could even play Scottish Rick if he wanted. I don't care.

This is all.

cantunsee.gif.108cd1eb09d0beaefa865435cb6956e1.gif

Chicken fried steak < bacon wrapped sausages

Also, In N Out 3x3 Animal Style > everything else served anywhere

Edited by Noname215