hot

hey guys post more im bored

I feel really bad for one of the people in the community thread I was hanging out in. They had *just* got their account activated after the two and a half month waiting period, got a full day to enjoy gaf before the site gets nuked.

34 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

I feel really bad for one of the people in the community thread I was hanging out in. They had *just* got their account activated after the two and a half month waiting period, got a full day to enjoy gaf before the site gets nuked.

Jeez.  That really stinks. And here I was thinking that I wasn't on there for very long when I just got validated in August.

2 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Same here. And I just started hanging out in the Community section too! Really regretting not getting on the community Discord channel.

If I didn't have so much to do today, I'd already be going into withdrawal. I hope like someone else takes over and brings it back, but I feel that's unlikely. Maybe everyone will migrate to Doublefine! (this is a joke! this is a joke!)

DFAF would work as a perfecly fine substitute if it had a the activity it used to, but it's been dwindling. I get the impression that DF themselves aren't particulary interested in it themselves anymore. 

It just hit me how much this is gonna hurt when I went out to lunch got out my phone and there was a page of gaf sitting there. And then I realized I had nothing to read during lunch. It's too early to tell if this will make me more or less productive. It's like when I left Telltale, but without a backup forum. 

I dunno... one of the things I like about a traditional forum is that I'm not constantly inundated with update notifications. While I do some instant messaging chats, they're fairly slow paced and only happen at specific times.

And... I kinda hate the reddit format. It's really hard to have a genuine conversation on that. Or follow a conversation. And I wouldn't dare touch any of the politics subreddits, which is what I mainly stuck to on gaf. I'm not sure there's an adequate replacement anywhere, really. I mean on top of the discussion quality, it was basically the only big forum that felt, well, safe, if that makes sense. Like the moderation was good enough that if someone went after you for a post, you could be confident the mods would ban them. There's not that sense of accountability on other sites.

I feel ya.

Well the way these things usually go is that the staff from NeoGaf will probably get together and start a new community without the unfortunate connections to the current allegations, and majority of people who participated in the old community will move there. Probably won't be exactly the same, but maybe it'll work out.

19 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

I dunno... one of the things I like about a traditional forum is that I'm not constantly inundated with update notifications. While I do some instant messaging chats, they're fairly slow paced and only happen at specific times.

And... I kinda hate the reddit format. It's really hard to have a genuine conversation on that. Or follow a conversation. And I wouldn't dare touch any of the politics subreddits, which is what I mainly stuck to on gaf. I'm not sure there's an adequate replacement anywhere, really. I mean on top of the discussion quality, it was basically the only big forum that felt, well, safe, if that makes sense. Like the moderation was good enough that if someone went after you for a post, you could be confident the mods would ban them. There's not that sense of accountability on other sites.

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well. There was something very comfortable with the format and layout of Neogaf. I'm on the SteamGAF discord now, and it's just a big blurb of neverending messaging. 

Well, you can turn off the notifications, I guess.

But yeah, chats are meant for small groups.

Okay, including Bruce, I've met Sammy Hagar, James Hetfield, Kevin Smith, Carlos Santana, and when I was like 2, Shirley Temple

8 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

I'd do it, if I knew anything about building and maintaining a website.

Start a gofundme.

Also, I haven't dived into their forums too much, despite browsing the site every day, but Giant Bomb's forums seem like they might be a decent fill in forum for a bit. They're pretty well moderated and have a similar userbase.

Triple posting, but it sounds like a lot of old GAF admins and community members are starting a new forum called ResetEra which might go live later today.

NeoGAF is back up, but the atmosphere of the forum already feels a lot different from what it was.

Yeah, with OT gone and most of the prominent users asking for bans, I don't think there's much to go back to. I'll try Resetera when it's up. Hopefully it recaptures some of the lightning in a jar that gaf had. 

I do wish I'd taken screenshots of some of my favorite posts though. I know that sounds weird, but some of those posts were amazingly well researched and it seems a shame to lose all that reference material.

23 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Yeah, with OT gone and most of the prominent users asking for bans, I don't think there's much to go back to. I'll try Resetera when it's up. Hopefully it recaptures some of the lightning in a jar that gaf had. 

I do wish I'd taken screenshots of some of my favorite posts though. I know that sounds weird, but some of those posts were amazingly well researched and it seems a shame to lose all that reference material.

Try waybackmacine

10 hours ago, Jenni said:

NeoGAF is back up, but the atmosphere of the forum already feels a lot different from what it was.

Indeed. 

I won't be nuking my account there, but I'm migrating with the SteamGAF group, and see where it leads. 

I feel account nuking is a little dramatic. Particularly because I mostly read, not posted, so everyone would be like:

giphy.webp

I just want to be able to look at the thread about the guy who wanted to eat a Zelda 3DS cartridge without giving any kind of support to evilore.

When was the last time you guys felt guilty about laughing at something

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

When was the last time you guys felt guilty about laughing at something

Uh.  Two days ago.  I suffer from Three Stooges Syndrome and I'm not even a huge fan of the show.  Something silly happens, I laugh...  Even if the person gets hurt.

This was mine.

Edit: On second thought, I'll just describe the video.

It's a clip from Bruno Mars' Treasure music video with a clip of a guy shooting a chicken with a shotgun synched to the beat. I know it sounds horrible but the editing gave it a darkly comic edge that made me laugh till I was in tears.

Edited by Noname215