I got refused service tonight, at my local boozer because I was drunker than an alcoholic skunk, downing shots like nobodies business.  Still, I had a ruddy good time.  An awesome fella was playing guitar outside; incredibly talented.  If I were gay, I would.  I hooted and I hollered.  Too much booze though. *slaps own wrist*

Edited by Right Said Brett
I wonder how much text one can put into the 'reason for edit' box? Hmm, seems worth testing... la de da de da de da. There once was a man from Nantucket. What he did to the bucket was to fu [LIMIT REACHED]

I'm sure you've been doing quite a bit with your wrist, old buddy old chum

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

IMG_3587.JPG

Quite frankly, Shatner's too old for the role these days, as this poster attests.

I'm sure you've been doing quite a bit with your wrist, old buddy old chum

Ooohh, wash your mouth out with soap, you filthy degenerate.

Look, I've got OCD, alright? Why must you rub it in by making me acknowledge it, you computer bastard!

7 hours ago, Right Said Brett said:

Quite frankly, Shatner's too old for the role these days, as this poster attests.

Well at least David Gordon Green appears to be a more competent director than Rob Zombie. Hopefully the horror of this is actually subtle and builds up, instead of the last three with Busta Rhymes and Weird Al Yankovic and mondo trash exploitation.

Ooohh, wash your mouth out with soap, you filthy degenerate.

Sell me your children.

3 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Well at least David Gordon Green appears to be a more competent director than Rob Zombie. Hopefully the horror of this is actually subtle and builds up, instead of the last three with Busta Rhymes and Weird Al Yankovic and mondo trash exploitation.

Confessional time; I've never watched any of the Halloween movies, not even the original, despite being a big fan of John Carpenter and a devoted horror hound.  I find the slasher sub-genre to be thoroughly uninteresting.  I know that I should give it a chance at some point though.  Three Hail Marys, for my sins.

Sell me your children.

Everyone except for little Timmy.  He's my favourite, as I've been fattening him up for a whole year now.  He'll make for a tasty treat, come Christmas.  I'll send the rest over to your mine shaft, post-haste.

2 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Suddenly, a wild Davies appears!

Well, if you people insist upon leaving scraps of discarded food outside, in easily accessible bin bags, what do you blooming well expect?!

Oh, by the way, 'Mortis, I saw some photos of your adventures in forgery... but enough about your career in counterfeit and fraud, I also saw some of your metallic handiwork; very impressive, I must say.

It's more than a slasher movie, that is what the series devolved to because of the 80s. The original Halloween is a monument of American horror cinema in how it makes genuine tension out of subtlety. That power was lost as it began to adopt more common tropes of 80s slasher like where you can run the bastard over with a car and he'll keep getting back up.

The third is also pretty damn interesting but for different reasons.

For your penance, you will watch the original, maybe the third, and stop there. 

Edited by Noname215

Also sometimes the best kinds of slasher movies are the corny ones. I tend to appreciate them from a technical stand point, just to revel in low budget gore, hair metal and overly dramatic scores, and the occasional boob. If the movie is a quality movie then that is a plus. They can be pretty fun movies to watch. 

I honestly still think Halloween is Carpenter's second best movie.

Edited by Noname215

15 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

That power was lost as it began to adopt more common tropes of 80s slasher like where you can run the bastard over with a car and he'll keep getting back up.

It's been a few years since I watched it, but doesn't he get stabbed, shot and fall through a first floor (i.e. second storey in the US, I think?) window and keep getting up?

Well yes, but he was only stabbed in the eye and him surviving the gunshots was supposed to be a lot more of him representing the line "You can't kill the boogeyman." Then that was just swept into mainstream slashers where the killer is practically immortal. 

Edited by Noname215

The third is also pretty damn interesting but for different reasons.

Well, I might not have seen Halloween III but I'm aware that it briefly reverted the series back to its initially envisioned anthology concept.  I also sure as heck know all about the Siilllvveerrr Shamrock.  Honestly, you hear that song one time and it stays with you for life.

Also sometimes the best kinds of slasher movies are the corny ones. I tend to appreciate them from a technical stand point, just to revel in low budget gore, hair metal and overly dramatic scores, and the occasional boob

See, to me, that's yawn inducing.

I honestly still think Halloween is Carpenter's second best movie.

If you're anything like me, The Thing is your number one Carpenter flick.  It's as close to perfection as films get.

Me had dispelled word cause me no writings so gud.

It is my favorite. My third favorite is Assault On Precinct 13.

And I understand why people would see them as yawn inducing, but to me they're just bloodsoaked popcorn movies.

Edited by Noname215

It is my favorite. My third favorite is Assault On Precinct 13.

Great flick.  I need to re-watch it sometime, as I haven't seen it in over a decade.  I seem to recall that it takes a while to get going but once it does, it's relentless.

I'm also a big fan of Dark Star (that beach ball alien is a fantastical slice of absurdity), Escape From New York (featuring one of my favourite actors; guess who...) and Big Trouble in Little China (the brilliantly mundane and entirely non-grandiose line "now this really pisses me off to no end", as spouted by the antagonist, cracks me up every single time).

I also read and worship at the alter of Sutter Cane.

...I understand why people would see them as yawn inducing, but to me they're just bloodsoaked popcorn movies.

Whatever floats your proverbial boat, my friend.  It's all good.

Is it any surprise? I really should proofread things more thouroughly, prior to posting.

43 minutes ago, Right Said Brett said:

Great flick.  I need to re-watch it sometime, as I haven't seen it in over a decade.  I seem to recall that it takes a while to get going but once it does, it's relentless.

I'm also a big fan of Dark Star (that beach ball alien is a fantastical slice of absurdity), Escape From New York (featuring one of my favourite actors; guess who...) and Big Trouble in Little China (the brilliantly mundane and entirely non-grandiose line "now this really pisses me off to no end", as spouted by the antagonist, cracks me up every single time).

I also read and worship at the alter of Sutter Cane.

My favorite thing about Prince Of Darkness is Alice Cooper ramming a bicycle through a guy's abdomen. Also never would have know that his original intent for The Fog was for it to be a PG movie for tweens.

Carpenter is also going to compose the original score for the new Halloween.

37 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

...never would have know that his original intent for The Fog was for it to be a PG movie for tweens.

That's another Carpenter flick that I've yet to watch.  Shameful, I know.  That and Halloween are the only two classic era Carpenter films which I've not watched though.

Carpenter is also going to compose the original score for the new Halloween.

Indeed.  If anything will encourages me to watch the new Halloween, it's this.

The Fog may not exactly be on the same level as pinnacles of cinema like The Thing, Halloween and Escape From New York, but it is a very well crafted and atmospheric ghost story, made even better by that score. Christine is good, too, but again, not as good as his other stuff.

Vampires, Ghosts Of Mars and Escape From L.A. are better off not talked about. The Ward was pretty meh.

How do you feel about They Live?

Edited by Noname215

11 hours ago, Right Said Brett said:

Oh, by the way, 'Mortis, I saw some photos of your adventures in forgery... but enough about your career in counterfeit and fraud, I also saw some of your metallic handiwork; very impressive, I must say.

If you stick around until next week, I should have another one to show off.

Unless it turns out horrid, in which case I'll lie and say I didn't make anything.

4 hours ago, Noname215 said:

The Fog may not exactly be on the same level as pinnacles of cinema like The Thing, Halloween and Escape From New York, but it is a very well crafted and atmospheric ghost story, made even better by that score. Christine is good, too, but again, not as good as his other stuff.

I can't say that I cared much for Christine.  'Twas a bit silly, even by my standards.

Vampires, Ghosts Of Mars and Escape From L.A. are better off not talked about.

It's a sorry state of affairs when I haven't watched Halloween or The Fog and yet I've watched all three of those movies.  They're forgettable at best and downright bad at worst.  I didn't even bother with The Ward.  Carpenter appeared to lose his energy, passion and drive for directing in the latter period of his film career.  Still, he seems very happy working on his music these days and I'm glad that he'll be scoring the new Halloween, as that will be him returning to film, in a capacity that he's 100% dedicated to.  It will be very interesting to hear what he comes up with.

How do you feel about They Live?

I had a hard time getting into it.  I need to give it another shot at some point.  It's certainly a fun premise and the line "I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubblegum" is inspired.

1 hour ago, Alcoremortis said:

If you stick around until next week, I should have another one to show off.

Unless it turns out horrid, in which case I'll lie and say I didn't make anything.

I'm sure that it will turn out well.  If it doesn't, then just claim that you were making a statement on the futility of life and by extension, art itself.  That's what I always say when I screw the pooch (metaphorically speaking, of course).

Either way, I'll gladly stick around to see the fruits of your labour.

51 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

How about Wes Craven?

Not a fan, I'm afraid.  The Nightmare on Elm Street series does absolutely nothing for me and it irks me that when I mention that I'm a huge fan of the horror genre to people, you just know that their minds automatically jump towards that particular series and Friday the 13th (neither of which I care to watch).  When one thinks of the sheer potential for a horror series in which the victims are killed within their own personal nightmares, well; the possibilities are virtually endless.

That premise is a creative person's wet dream.  There could have been a series of films with incredibly creative and nightmarish vistas, inhabited by creatures born from the minds of the finest surrealist artists.  Instead, it was all rather rote and unimaginative.  Not to mention that the sequels got increasingly silly and groan-inducing.  No, Sir.  I don't like it.  Well, maybe the third movie, The Dream Warriors, if it comes on TV and I just want to zone out to some daft entertainment, I suppose.

As for the rest of Wes Craven's filmography; I haven't seen much but I loathe the Scream series, though admittedly, mostly for the effect its success had upon the horror genre during the 90s, through to the mid-2000s.  I still think the movies themselves are utterly disposable, chucklefest infused nonsense, mind.  Still, the influence of Scream upon the genre can not be overstated and in that regard, the movie certainly could never be accused of being trite.  I'll cop to that, even if it feels counter-intuitive to pay the series a compliment, backhanded as it may be.

The People Under the Stairs is good, cheesy fun though.  So, that's one and a half Wes Craven movies that I like, up to a point, if you're keeping count.  Yeah, like I say; not a fan really.

Would that it t'werrreeeeee so simple.

I have a soft spot for The Hills Have Eyes and The Serpent and the Rainbow. And Scream's opening is better than the rest of the movie. A lot of my respect for Craven is for him only ever making the movies that he wanted to make.

How about Tobe Hooper?

Edited by Noname215

You broke my heart.

I love Christine.  Granted, I don't think it's a great movie, but it had great cinematography.  Reminds me of Italian horror.  Bad movies, but amazing visuals.

I also have a soft spot for silly.  I also love Shocker.

Edited by Johro
My "A" button is @#$%ed

The movie is shot wonderfully. I just think Carpenter's done better work. 

On 4/22/2018 at 4:16 PM, Noname215 said:

How about Tobe Hooper?

Apologies about the late reply.  I consider The Texas Chainsaw Massacre to be one of the greatest films ever made and although I didn't initially appreciate its sequel, I've since come to love it for what it is (a parody of the first film).  It goes without saying that Poltergeist was shadow-directed by Spielberg, so that doesn't count.  Aside from that... um, did Tobe Hooper direct anything else of note?  The only other film of his, which I can recall watching is The Toolbox Murders and that was terrible.

Salem's Lot.. The Mangler... Yanno.  He really did kind of hit the mark with TCSM and then went downhill.

Oh yeah and he also did The Funhouse, which I'm going to take a WILD guess and say that it's one of Noname's favs.  Just taking a shot in the dark there.

That Discord banner.  There's no resisting now, folks.

1 hour ago, Johro said:

Salem's Lot.. The Mangler... Yanno.  He really did kind of hit the mark with TCSM and then went downhill.

Oh yeah and he also did The Funhouse, which I'm going to take a WILD guess and say that it's one of Noname's favs.  Just taking a shot in the dark there.

If you're referencing that slasher movie I wrote a while back, then yeah, it's up there.

Texas Chainsaw 2 is pretty good in it's own right. Salems Lot is one of the most underappreciated and dare I say best adapatations of a Stephen King novel ever made, and I like the campiness of Eaten Alive, the unabashed B movie that is Invaders From Mars, and Lifeforce with it's naked soul sucking alien lady.

Here's one guy I could never quite come to love or hate: Dario Argento 

2 hours ago, epic said:

That Discord banner.  There's no resisting now, folks.

Want to bet on it?