Double Fine Action Forums

Well, I didn't list it earlier but voice is my primary instrument. Mainly because it's the easiest to carry with me.

At least this one won't fall out of my pocket without me noticing. Hooks onto a belt loop.

On 16.6.2017 at 6:13 AM, Noname215 said:

Who here besides me and @Anemone knows how to play an instrument

I played the concert flute for five years, but thst's a long time ago.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

At least this one won't fall out of my pocket without me noticing. Hooks onto a belt loop.

I always forget men can fit their wallets in their pants pockets.

20 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Our pants are our purses.

What about satchels or fannypacks

Edited by Noname215

2 hours ago, Bookdust said:

Satchels are purses for people who don't want to admit that they're carrying a purse. Fannypacks are for complete dorks.

Fanny packs are proto-utility belts.

17 hours ago, Bookdust said:

If only it were many discrete pouches with cool snap buttons

They could call it the Liefeld.

1 hour ago, Bookdust said:

For the first time in my coward life, I actually told someone I had feelings for them. And somehow, it didn't blow up in my face.

Positive feelings, or hate? ;)

6 hours ago, Bookdust said:

For the first time in my coward life, I actually told someone I had feelings for them. And somehow, it didn't blow up in my face.

HzICZtW.gif

I love lamp.

17 hours ago, Bookdust said:

today i asked a girl if she wants to have lunch and she texted back "sure! can i bring my friend" and now i'm like

hmm

hmm

what do 

That gif comes from one of the best Next Generation episodes ever, which had its 25 year broadcast anniversary three weeks ago on June 1st. In a way, it is about unexpectedly beginning a new long and satisfying life filled with love and family. I hope your choice of gif is paving the future for you, Bookdust! :)

Edited by Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen, you and I should be best friends.

Well, absolutely. :)

Also, lately I've been using Star Trek gifs as often as I can.

Wait until you discover the Swear Trek tumblr. :P

2 hours ago, Bookdust said:

*Checks out the Swear Trek tumblr*

*Checks out of the Swear Trek tumblr*

Too much swearing, not enough pixels

200_s.gif

1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

Steam Summer sales are starting tomorrow. 

i don't even get hyped over these anymore

they don't do special achievements or free giveaways anymore, and the deals aren't any better than what you'd find on humble bundle or gog. gosh, let me tell you, these steam sales sure ain't like how they used to be, back in my day...

Edited by hot

8 hours ago, Vainamoinen said:

That gif comes from one of the best Next Generation episodes ever, which had its 25 year broadcast anniversary three weeks ago on June 1st. In a way, it is about unexpectedly beginning a new long and satisfying life filled with love and family. I hope your choice of gif is paving the future for you, Bookdust! :)

The lead writer on that episode wrote an unofficial sequel that was published as a webcomic a whileback called The Outer Light in which the crew of the Enterprise encounters a ship from Kataan that had been adrift for 1000 years. It was published here, but the site seems to be down. There are a few chapters from it on this page though. It's interesting to see where one of the people behind the episode was interested in taking it.

1 hour ago, hot said:

they don't do special achievements or free giveaways anymore, and the deals aren't any better than what you'd find on humble bundle or gog. gosh, let me tell you, these steam sales sure ain't like how they used to be, back in my day...

They found out that the super steep sales, giveaways, and flash sales were actually doing more harm than good, so they stopped doing a lot of that stuff and have eased up their approach to sales. Same reason why Humble isn't as much of a free-for-all as it used to be either. 

But also I just own way too many games already that I don't play.

I doubt I'll see anything I want and, frankly, am kinda hoping that I don't.

4 minutes ago, Anemone said:

They found out that the super steep sales, giveaways, and flash sales were actually doing more harm than good, so they stopped doing a lot of that stuff and have eased up their approach to sales. Same reason why Humble isn't as much of a free-for-all as it used to be either. 

how is it doing more harm than good? do you mean from the developer's perspective? 

also yeah i don't really want to keep buying stuff, my backlog is huge. i think night in the woods is the only game i'm really interested in buying right now, just because the premise really appeals to the angsty burnout millennial in me 

6 minutes ago, Anemone said:

NdNGbXC.gif?noredirect

27 minutes ago, hot said:

how is it doing more harm than good? do you mean from the developer's perspective? 

also yeah i don't really want to keep buying stuff, my backlog is huge. i think night in the woods is the only game i'm really interested in buying right now, just because the premise really appeals to the angsty burnout millennial in me 

Basically, yes, from the developers perspective. The steep and frequent sales were good in the short term for both Valve and Developers, but over time it was driving the value of games down significantly, which frankly the games market is STILL recovering from. If you want to see what the absolute worst case scenario of this looks like, just look at the mobile games market where the value of games has been driven down so intensely that it's almost impossible to legitimately sell a game there. In the mobile space, they call it a "premium" game, but what that means is just a regular game sold in the regular way. But everything in mobile is expected to be free, F2P, or 99 cents, so "premium" is more like a warning that, hey, this game costs money. Few people will buy it.

The same thing was starting to happen with PC/steam, or it started veering frighteningly in that direction. To this day you still encounter people who refuse to buy basically anything at full price and just wishlist things until they see it marked down by 90%. Games are a lot less likely to be marked down that much, though, and sales in general happen much less frequently than they used to. And flash sales (i.e. the temporary extra-discounted sales within the larger sale period) basically don't happen at all anymore. So you still have tons of consumers who are still conditioned to "wait for the next sale" even though that's not going to work for them as well as it used to.

So basically it was causing people to purchase fewer games because they were either waiting for sales or were so used to buying games at $5 and under that no full priced games seemed "worth it" anymore. And when games did sell, they sold at a less, so it was hurting developers because it was causing consumers to think the product was worth less than its actual value. And that could potentially lead people to stop selling through Valve if the only way to sell games there is at a loss. Especially now that Valve has some kinda sorta competitors that could start to overtake them if they screw the pooch too bad. Which they could still do. They keep getting trouble with the law left and right.

4 hours ago, hot said:

They are introducing something new this year. 

They will have a metagame this time, that will introduce Steam stickers. What are they for? Don't know. But there will be stickers to earn through different tasks.

And yes, I'm going to spoilermark aspects of a game sale, because this is the internet, and I fully embrace that. :curtis:

2 hours ago, hot said:

I'm sticking my tested formula for Steam. Buying 2-3 smaller games, that before was interesting, but not day 1 purchases. So that I feel like I'm "participating" in the sale, don't clog up my backlog (on my Steam account, I'm only at 2 completely untried games), and at worst support the devs behind those games. 

Edited by CecilRousso

17 hours ago, hot said:

hehe sorry i'm not going to show you what bookdust looks like

he's too handsome, your body wouldn't be able to handle it 

I was hoping for a heavily photoshopped meme.

Getting some lower deck seats on the first base line with my bro and father at tonight's game. 

Well, I DID find a few things I wanted from the Steam Sale. More than a few things. Enough to not buy all of them.

I bought:
The Little Acre
LEGO Star Wars
Earthlock: Festival of Magic
and Rocket League: GOTY

I might buy Rayman Legends later, but ~$35 for four games was enough for me for today.