Double Fine Action Forums

I understand you wanting to post things here, bookers. You hang out here a lot and probably feel comfortable here and probably (I'm assuming?) feel relatively safe sharing with one or more people in the community.

But it is still the internet and welcomes the worst of the internet peanut gallery to criticize or joke about things that for you are very serious. It just might not be the best place for that kind of venting. At least not in the 100% open and public part.

I wouldn't want you to feel like you can't be friends/familiar with your DFAF homies, but I'd also hate for you to invite a bunch of internet foxes into your emotional hen house, ya know?

7 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

(I'm always the third wheel. All my friends are married or in long term relationships)

ok i'll make u a deal 

if you're still sad and alone when you're like 35, then i guess i will marry you 

wow what a generous deal, hot 

the romance 

9 hours ago, hot said:

ok i'll make u a deal 

if you're still sad and alone when you're like 35, then i guess i will marry you 

wow what a generous deal, hot 

the romance 

actually i feel like this would be a very good setup for a rom-com 

The Deal

Starring Matthew Mcconaughey and Sandra Bullock 

42 minutes ago, hot said:

Starring Matthew Mcconaughey and Sandra Bullock 

Which one are you? :happytim:

46 minutes ago, hot said:

Matthew Mcconaughey and Sandra Bullock 

So the deal is to get married if they're both single at 60? I guess personality is all that matters by then, anyhow.

25 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Which one are you? :happytim:

u know which one bb

20 minutes ago, fargetv said:

So the deal is to get married if they're both single at 60? I guess personality is all that matters by then, anyhow.

hmm yeah perhaps i need younger actors 

Starring Justin Lautner and Miley Swift 

2 hours ago, hot said:

u know which one bb

hmm yeah perhaps i need younger actors 

Starring Justin Lautner and Miley Swift 

Younger! Younger! You need the Olsen twins.

1 hour ago, Alcoremortis said:

I don't know who any of these people are.

The Olsen twins are super young actors that specialize in playing super young people. They even play the same roles sometimes!

They probably shouldn't create a marriage pact with each other, but it generates strong cinematic tension in hot's award-winning romantic comedy.

I think I'm back alive.  It's been so hot here(no AC), I went about 3 days with pretty much no sleep.  I've been avoiding here because I really had no idea what was going on.

I have now slept after an orgasmic cool windy night and feel a bit better.

I'm sorry for your troubles bookdust.  If you feel most comfortable sharing here, then do it.  There's what? 10 people whom post here.  If any of them take a cheap shot over your problems, then %#$@&! em.  I'll step in and probably get banned if the mods won't.  Unfortunately, I'm not the best person to provide emotional support, but I'm good at making a stand.  You seem like a good person.

I think I'm going to try and play a game now.  You'd think after being up for 3 days(even with working all 3), I would have got a lot done.  I have not done anything actually.  Nothing.  Everything's a blur of REALLY wanting to sleep.

Quentin Tarantino's next movie is about Charles Manson, Sharon Tate and Roman Polanski.

I guess this time he needed Charles Manson just as an excuse to use the N word, huh?

20 hours ago, fargetv said:

The Olsen twins are super young actors that specialize in playing super young people. They even play the same roles sometimes!

They probably shouldn't create a marriage pact with each other, but it generates strong cinematic tension in hot's award-winning romantic comedy.

this sounds very artful, i approve 

I have been absolutely miserable from allergies and other minor-yet-annoying physical ailments the past few days.

The Munsters was a great show.  Random sentence I felt like saying.

R.L. Stine's Fear Street novels are being used as the basis for a film trilogy.

They better go R rated or hard PG-13 because I remember reading them as a kid because of their connection to Goosebumps and being freaked out by the amount of blood and gore in those books compared to his other stuff.

@Feddlefew

So today I went over to a friend's house for a get together with a bunch of other guys. The plan was I was gonna cook so I decided on the way to improvise with burgers. So I went to a butcher who's a family friend, and had him carve the fat off of four sirloin steaks and ground them up. Then I ran home, grabbed a bunch of ingredients and headed over.

The first burger I took some brisket I had leftover from a BBQ, minced it up and mixed it in along with some bacon bits. Smoked cheddar cheese.

The second burger had diced chipotle peppers mixed into the beef, with pepperjack cheese and caramelized onions.

The third I stuffed with Kraft macaroni and cheese.

The fourth was a regular steak burger, but I topped it off with Stubb's BBQ sauce and fried onion strings I made on the spot.

Buns were corn dusted Kaiser rolls instead of regular buns. And I toasted them, of course.

2 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

We need to bring back The Thing level body horror in horror movies.

Well, they tried and people hated it.

2 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

We need to bring back The Thing level body horror in horror movies.

I agree, but that only works with practical effects. The moment they use a computer animated body transformation, my suspension of disbelief just shuts off, and I stop being impressed.

Part of the appeal of The Thing is thinking "how on Earth did they do that?"

2 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I don't know, I've seen Slither, which played with both practical and computer generated effects. It's pretty freaking visceral. I think the trick is to use practical effects and computer generated imagery to both their strengths, and I agree that body horror lends itself more to practical than CGI.

Oh hi, also a big Body Horror fan.

Except for The Fly. The Fly took all the fun out of the idea for me.

I've also seen Slither, but I would not say that the effects were the strong side of that movie. However, that movie is a wacko dark comedy, and it's much easier to be forgiving of effects in comedies. They served that movie well.

The Thing, on the other hand, is not a comedy, except for some mild satire about the human nature. You're supposed to take it seriously, and then your brain switches into a much more critical mode. The final effect in The Thing, which is made with stop-motion animation, is far less effective (and almost immersion breaking for me) than the rest of the effects, but it is not really poorly made. It would have worked fine in a comedy.

Why don't you like The Fly? I love the tragic personal aspect connected in combination with the body horror, and the effects are great. It is my second favourite Cronenberg body horror after Videodrome. Videodrome is fantastic.

15 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I guess I prefer body horror that leans into transformation over degradation. Becoming something else rather than wasting away. It's metamorphosis vs cancer.

Interesting point! I can see that, though I find both aspects fascinating.

I just remembered the main villain in the first Men in Black movie. He is one of the funniest cases of body degradation I have seen in the movies.