Double Fine Action Forums

1 minute ago, Scarecrow said:

This looks amazing! Not a fan of that title drop in the monologue though. Just feels kind of awkward.

Yeah, I feel the same.

My favorite reference to the original film was in Rise, with the news report of Charleton Heston's rocket blasting off. I just wished they hadn't used "KEEP YOUR STINKING PAWS OFF ME YOU DAMN DIRTY APE" until a later movie.

15 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

And is it just me, or is the narrative of humanity being the villain for our intelligent creations (usually robots, but in this case apes) becoming more and more prevalent? Because neither this nor Westworld paint a very pretty picture of our species capacity for empathy toward beings that are not like us (not that there's not a pattern for such fictive predictions).

Look at the current political/cultural climate. That type of fiction is what a composition/rhetoric scholar might call "kairotic".

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

1 minute ago, Scarecrow said:

I agree, humanity did not have a good year in general, the iron is hot for stories which explore just how uncool we can be as a species. Still, I'd like some push-back, about our potential, a guidepost for how we can choose to be instead, fiction is a great vehicle for messages which alter our attitudes and actions, that's the whole point of narrative, after all.

And you're just the man to do it!

14 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I agree, humanity did not have a good year in general, the iron is hot for stories which explore just how uncool we can be as a species. Still, I'd like some push-back, about our potential, a guidepost for how we can choose to be instead, fiction is a great vehicle for messages which alter our attitudes and actions, that's the whole point of narrative, after all.

Fahrenheit 451 kinda comes to mind.

Wow. I had never read Notch's twitter before today. He's actually... kind of a huge douche? That's disappointing.

Oh well. I didn't buy Minecraft until it already wasn't his anymore.

Re: Pewdiepie deleting his channel

*world's smallest violin*

:violin:

1 hour ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Wow. I had never read Notch's twitter before today. He's actually... kind of a huge douche? That's disappointing.

Re: Pewdiepie deleting his channel

*world's smallest violin*

:violin:

He didn't delete his main channel.  Just his alt channel.

18 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Ke8fCeV.gif

Me neither especially if PDP just wants the attention. 

2 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Notch's twitter is disappointing. 

Not as in me being a minecraft fan, or being a notch fan in general. But as in him being financially indepedent, and disolving himself from any responsibility of his previous employment/company, and this is what he chooses to with it. 

Trolls are never going to impress me. 

1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

Notch's twitter is disappointing. 

Not as in me being a minecraft fan, or being a notch fan in general. But as in him being financially indepedent, and disolving himself from any responsibility of his previous employment/company, and this is what he chooses to with it. 

Trolls are never going to impress me. 

H's got that thing that rich guys have where they try not to seem like rich guys, but unfortunately he also spends big and people will forever treat him differently. It's kinda sad. I think he's not a douche, he's just got his own problems and this is his way of dealing with them.

I broke up with my girlfriend a couple of days ago. It was pretty much a mutual thing, her illness is preventing the relationship being what it can be and she didn't want me to hang around waiting and being unhappy as it's likely that it's not going to get any better. I'll feel bad that it had to come to this but we did try to make the best of a really crappy situation and there's no point prolonging things if it'll just make it worse for both of us. I still want to keep in touch with her as much as she can manage and I'll always care for her, as much as that is worth.

I knew about the rimworld guy.

I've never read Joss Whedon's twitter, but doesn't he do like a bunch of progressive ads / PSAs and stuff?

I don't have a problem with celebrities / public figures soap boxing PER SE. But it requires a very high diplomacy skill check, so they'd better do it carefully.

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

Progressive doesn't make you not a douche bag. Generally he doesn't handle criticism online very well, and hypocritically he's gone on the attack of well-meaning and even innocent folks because he misunderstood them or simply decided he didn't like them. Does that make him a horrible person? No, and I still respect him as a writer, I'm just pointing out that some people and their opinions come across really poorly on social media.

Progressive activism can get a little trigger happy sometimes. This would not surprise me as much.

Also, boyz on the internet are always DA F*** YOU SAY TO ME?! This would also not surprise me as much.

I kinda follow Joss Whedon on twitter and the amount of hate he gets is pretty crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if he lashed out occasionally. 

But his main twitter is usually a fun read. It largely feels like the place where he focus tests jokes he thinks up with some political activism mixed in. Kinda like a toned down version of George Takei's page.

Guys I just now realized the new forum gives us the ability to change our display names pretty much any time we want.

power.png

41 minutes ago, Bidiot Bales said:

Dare you to change it.

I've thought about changing it to my steam handle in the past, but people get so annoyed with my annoyingly long name, and I'd hate to give that up!

First one person changes their name, then someone else changes their name and avatar to that person's old handle and next thing we have CHAOS.

11 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Oh my god this feels so right. I missed being Bookdust.

I legit freaked out for a moment in the Fine Writings thread and thought I'd gone insane. Phew, glad that's over with. 

5 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Guys I just now realized the new forum gives us the ability to change our display names pretty much any time we want.

Awesome. Then I can finally ditch this stupid display name, that I picked from stupid reasons years ago. 

But that of course requires me to be able to come up with a better one. :monty:

9 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Awesome. Then I can finally ditch this stupid display name, that I picked from stupid reasons years ago. 

But that of course requires me to be able to come up with a better one. :monty:

MC Eagleface

The Birdlord

KnockKnockWhosThereFreedomMotherf***ers