Double Fine Action Forums

What if I don't survive the journey? You folks may have to go on without me to kick around anymore.

Don't worry. I'm sure I can attach a kicking mechanism to your taxidermied remains. Maybe we can even make you into a quadcopter.

What if I don't survive the journey? You folks may have to go on without me to kick around anymore.

Don't worry. I'm sure I can attach a kicking mechanism to your taxidermied remains. Maybe we can even make you into a quadcopter.

If you taxidermy and mount his head on the wall, I'll go find a beer hat, sunglasses, and cigarette to decorate him with.

"Pokemon of course came out in the 90s and was popular with a very niche sort of audience. Then it went away for a while, but now all of a sudden it's back! What's going to come back from the 90s next? Tamagotchi?"

--NPR, everyone on our staff is 80 years old and hasn't spoken to a young person since 1992!

Well, Pokemon and Ghostbusters being the hot subjects in entertainment in the summer of 2016 is pretty messed up.

Yeah, but ghostbusters DID kind of go away for the most part and now all of a sudden is back. The NPR guy makes it sound like Pokemon has not been current since the 90s, but it has been very persistent and has arguably only grown MORE popular since the 90s. My nine year old nephew tirelessly admires and sorts his pokemon cards over and over again, and was doing so before Pokemon GO was even in a twinkle in someone's eye, and he didn't exist in the 90s at any point.

To me this is as weird as someone on NPR saying, "Remember Tim Burton's Batman starring Michael Keaton? It was a big hit in the 90s and then Batman kinda went away for a while. But now all of a sudden Batman is hip again!"

And comparing the Pokemon empire to Tamagotchi's weird happenstance phenomenon? Are you KIDDING me?

No, NPR. It's just that you're old people.

Yeah, but ghostbusters DID kind of go away for the most part and now all of a sudden is back. The NPR guy makes it sound like Pokemon has not been current since the 90s, but it has been very persistent and has arguably only grown MORE popular since the 90s. My nine year old nephew tirelessly admires and sorts his pokemon cards over and over again, and was doing so before Pokemon GO was even in a twinkle in someone's eye, and he didn't exist in the 90s at any point.

To me this is as weird as someone on NPR saying, "Remember Tim Burton's Batman starring Michael Keaton? It was a big hit in the 90s and then Batman kinda went away for a while. But now all of a sudden Batman is hip again!"

And comparing the Pokemon empire to Tamagotchi's weird happenstance phenomenon? Are you KIDDING me?

No, NPR. It's just that you're old people.

To some extent I can understand him though. Not to the extreme Pokemon > Tamagotchi comparison, but even for me, Pokemon has been something completely out of my field of view since the first iterations. I do know that there have been a constant stream of games, but for me they have just blended with each other, given no real indication of the popularity of the franchise and I have no people close to me talking about them in any way. Until now, when there have been lots of articles being written about Pokemon Go.

And even I, a gaming enthusiast, know very little about Pokemon in general. I tried one of the older games on a GBA emulator once, but that's about it.

'Breath Of The Wild' - 5 Ways Nintendo's E3 2016 Demo Wasn't That Great'

May as well say CLICK ME I NEED MONEY!

Alternative titles:

YOUR FAVORITE BAND IS ACTUALLY TERRIBLE

EVERYTHING YOU LOVE IS DUMB

I FIND IT FRUSTRATING WHEN LOTS OF PEOPLE LIKE A THING

THE ONLY THING AT E3 WORTHY OF PRAISE IS MY CONTRARIANISM

(but I admit that I am sometimes this guy when it comes to other types of games)

The whole day has led to this: Chocolate covered almonds VS Swedish Fish.

The whole day has led to this: Chocolate covered almonds VS Swedish Fish.

Here in Sweden we just call them fish. ;)

Go for the chocolate covered almonds. Swedish Fish to me just taste like eating a spoon full of sugar.

So this happened. And it's all kinds of awesome.

RkPacTHbzJo

Go for the chocolate covered almonds. Swedish Fish to me just taste like eating a spoon full of sugar.

No offense, but you suck. Eller suger, som vi säger här i Sverige.

No offense, but you suck. Eller suger, som vi säger här i Sverige.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mexican candy is so weird you guys. Every time someone gives some to me, I get super excited about it, because I remember that one time I tried a mexican lollipop that was flavored with pineapple and chili powder and thought it was awesome. I also like marzipan! 

But I always forget that actually 99% of mexican candy is gross and should only be given to other people as a joke or as punishment. For example, if you want to simulate eating most kinds of mexican candy at home but don't know where to actually get mexican candy, try this: Put 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 half cup of chili powder in a bowl, add a piece of half-dry fruit, then kinda mash on it until it turns into a sticky paste, then roll it up into a ball and put it in your mouth! Enjoy!

Anyway, I was given a whole big basket of Mexican candy this weekend at a benefit, and I just ate a couple pieces. Here is my review:

Mexican Candy 1: It looks like two paper thin wafers (literally as thin as paper) glued together with something brown. It *looks* like caramel, but I've learned to never trust mexican candy. 

After eating it: I decided it actually wasn't too bad. It was literally like eating two thin pieces of paper glued together with something I would describe as "caramel if you take 90% of caramel's flavor away". This is the candy that manages not to fail mostly because it is not trying very hard.

Mexican candy 2: It looks like a tiny sea cucumber rolled in sugar. Out of all the mexican candy in this basket, this one LOOKS the most like candy. But will it be any good? 

After eating it: I decided that it is sort of like the american candy known as "circus peanuts" which are a kind of weird, orange styrofoam that smell like someone poured a jar of artificial banana flavoring into a can of lead paint, and the flavor is not too far from the same. Suffice to say, most people hate circus peanuts, even though they are still around for just the novelty of it--like candy corn. Anyway, this one tasted like an even worse kind of circus peanuts. It was pretty nasty, I have to say. It was so bad that I immediately went through the basket and threw away anything else that looked similar to it, and then I seriously contemplated for a moment never eating anything ever again because I had lost all trust in food. The worst part is that I can still *remember* how it tasted in my mind, and whenever I think of it, I feel my gag reflex start to quiver with dread. I'm sorry, body. I won't do anything like that to you ever again. 

Okay, I probably will. Let's try a third one.

Mexican candy 3: Now this looks interesting. This one came wrapped up in a corn husk like a hot tamale. I love tamales! But this isn't food. This is candy. Let's be serious. This could be good or bad. I just unwrapped the corn husk and it is a brown squishy paste inside of a clear pastic wrapped inside. The corn husk was just for fun, I guess. Unwrapping the brown sticky paste is weird--like opening a dirty diaper. I don't know how I feel about this....

After eating it: Okay, so I took a bite of the brown paste inside and I would describe the flavor as "the flavor of raisins, but in squishy paste form, but spicy because they added chili powder to it like they do to literally everything, and, um, it's not as bad as you would think, but it is still pretty gross". 

Mmmm! Spicy raisin paste!

Conclusion: If someone offers you mexican candy, ask them if it is pineapple lollipops or marzipan. If they say yes, then accept immediately. If they say no, then approach with extreme caution.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

I haven't tried many different kinds of Mexican candies (not many are available here), but I did try something once that I thought tasted pretty great. I believe it was called a tamarindo, and is served and wrapped like long lollipops . I'm not sure how it's made exactly, but the main ingredient is tamarind, which has probably been dried a bit, because it's similar to figs in texture, it's pretty sticky and is mixed with a bit of chili.

2 hours ago, flesk said:

I haven't tried many different kinds of Mexican candies (not many are available here), but I did try something once that I thought tasted pretty great. I believe it was called a tamarindo, and is served and wrapped like long lollipops . I'm not sure how it's made exactly, but the main ingredient is tamarind, which has probably been dried a bit, because it's similar to figs in texture, it's pretty sticky and is mixed with a bit of chili.

I had to google that one. It looks like Mexican Pocky! I haven't tried it, but I'd give it a whirl.

But yeah, all mexican candy seems to be basically just some dudes experimenting with adding chili to various sweet things and seeing if it works. I do like some of it that I've tried it, but I had never tried any of the kind in this basket before and I did not like any of it. Maybe that's why the person gave it to me. They knew it was the crap candy.

51q5KTsIvkL.jpg

I think these were the suckers I had that were actually pretty awesome. Well. Mostly. They are pineapple flavored lollipops that have chili powder lightly laced throughout, and it's really good.... right up until the end, when you figure out that these suckers also have something in the middle, but instead of having gum or tootsie roll in the middle, it's just a HUGE MOUTHFUL OF CHILI POWDER. That part is somewhat less awesome.

Dear Mexico: Step one is admitting that you have an addiction.

IMPORTANT HYGIENE QUESTION:

I hate having nose hair. Do you think if I shoved Nair up my nose it would work?

3 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

IMPORTANT HYGIENE QUESTION:

I hate having nose hair. Do you think if I shoved Nair up my nose it would work?

Try it, I'm sure it will be fine*. Keep us posted.

*I have no idea if you'll be fine

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

The Nair website is very specific in it's FAQ that you should NOT do that. Because it will hurt like a you know what.

You could try this unfortunately named waxing system for nose hairs. It seems to be about as pleasant as one might imagine waxing the inside of your nose, but it seems to work alright in the video:

Or you could just get a nose hair trimmer.

I imagine waxing the inside of my nose to hurt like a you know what.

I have a nose trimmer, but I still hate nose hair. Why can't bodies just be not like how they are? Bodies are so inconvenient.

Considering this is now the thread I'm using for "I don't know where else to put this and it doesn't deserve it's own thread", I'll just post this here.

This is basically everything I have ever tried to communicate about language/grammar in my rants on this forum, lolz

13935109_10102461451623593_6812839383871312981_n.jpg

Also I just realized that DFAF is thiiis close to being DGAF.

If only Tim had named the company Double Good!

16 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Also I just realized that DFAF is thiiis close to being DGAF.

If only Tim had named the company Double Good!

Yeah, right now it shares its acronym with the Drug Free America Foundation, and that's only marginally as funny.

Actually, I take it back - the Urban Dictionary definition for DFAF is much funnier. Gross, but funny.