Double Fine Action Forums

Haha, DFAF is like an episode of Terrence and Philip now. oh dear.

I really wish that critics—both professional games journalists and just fans on the internet—would stop calling it “broken promises” every time a game disappoints them, like game studio X is a girlfriend that promised them it would be forever and then dumped them.

Trailers and advertising aren’t “promises”. If the trailer for the new stars wars had shown me chewbacca and I went to the movie and there was no chewbacca, I wouldn’t be writing angry articles about “Disney’s broken promises”. Can we just acknowledge that this sounds really weird and makes the person writing the post sound kinda weird in a “swimfan” sort of way?

Let’s just call it lying or false advertising. Even if it is lying or false advertising by omission. But I’m kinda starting to roll my eyes at all of this “broken promises” rhetoric every time a big-name title is disappointing.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

I ate a bunch of Krispy Kreme crullers really fast, too fast, and now I have regrets. I don't think I'm the kind of person who gets to live until 70.

I worked 17 hours overtime this weekend, and was ready (and excited) to spend the money on something fun. This afternoon, I received an unexpected bill of almost the exact amount I made from the overtime work.

I would have had to pay the bill anyhow, and it would have been much worse without having the overtime money, but OH MAN how depressing it was when I found out.

I haven't played Dead Space 3 in a couple of years but I still think about it's beautifully over-designed main menu. It's like my favorite thing about the game.

That is one fancy menu.

I'm still too afraid to touch Deadspace 3. I felt like DS2 kinda ruined it a little, and I assumed DS3 would be more DS2 instead of more DS1, and then I heard there were in-app purchases, and I'm just too sad to go there.

I'll just keep replaying DS1 over and over again and pretend like there is one other person out there who shares my feelings.

9 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

That is one fancy menu.

I'm still too afraid to touch Deadspace 3. I felt like DS2 kinda ruined it a little, and I assumed DS3 would be more DS2 instead of more DS1, and then I heard there were in-app purchases, and I'm just too sad to go there.

I'll just keep replaying DS1 over and over again and pretend like there is one other person out there who shares my feelings.

I was mostly afraid they ruined it by making it a co-op game but I think there were only a handful of places in the game where I noticed that it had been designed for that. The micro transactions were also easy to ignore. You never felt handicapped without them and as far as I remember they are never shoved into your face.

A part of the where you are in space game did manage to capture the DS1 feel but the very beginning is terrible and the last third or something is nothing special.

So one of the things which sucks about living in NY is that the electoral storm is gonna be just awful this year.

50 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I almost panicked, and then it hit me that I'm not human, so your sad, rigid concepts of machismo have no bearing on me.

Silence, you worm!

18 hours ago, Coolsome said:

( Just checking but you guys do know when a book uses  parentheses you are NOT aloud to read what's inside. )

Now, no one will ever know...

I'm starting university again next week, this time doing a postgraduate course - going for a MA in Digital Games Theory and Design. Should hopefully be fun and interesting.

Well.

It looks like I'm carrying out my threat to bring a jello salad to my next D&D meetup.

Edit: I should mention someone is making SPAMwich sliders. Probability that pizza will be ordered is approaching 100%

Edited by Feddlefew

13 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

Well.

It looks like I'm carrying out my threat to bring a jello salad to my next D&D meetup.

This reminds me of a couple of years ago when I was working for a bookstore. I was responsible for appraising nostalgic/collectible books and making offers for them, which was awesome when people were selling me a 1923 folio of Dante's Inferno they've had in their family for several generations, but less awesome when dads in wife beaters were trying to sell me a milk crate full of moldy 1970s cookbooks they found in the back of their garage.

"I will pay you a quarter to let me throw this away" is a phrase I learned makes some dads very upset.

Anyway, I looked at a lot of old cookbooks and I was really surprised at how much moms / old ladies loved putting random shit inside jello back in like the 50s and 60s. You're a grandma in the 1950s and are not sure what to make? Just pick up 2 or 3 of whatever you have in your kitchen, stick it in some jello, and blam! You're a genius! I saw a recipe for jello that contains shrimp! SHRIMP JELLO! Then maybe toss in some orange slices, a couple of oreo cookies, sprinkle on some chili powder, a couple of altoids you bought in 1998 and never opened, and just whatever! Jello success!

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

1 hour ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

This reminds me of a couple of years ago when I was working for a bookstore. I was responsible for appraising nostalgic/collectible books and making offers for them, which was awesome when people were selling me a 1923 folio of Dante's Inferno they've had in their family for several generations, but less awesome when dads in wife beaters were trying to sell me a milk crate full of moldy 1970s cookbooks they found in the back of their garage.

"I will pay you a quarter to let me throw this away" is a phrase I learned makes some dads very upset.

Anyway, I looked at a lot of old cookbooks and I was really surprised at how much moms / old ladies loved putting random shit inside jello back in like the 50s and 60s. You're a grandma in the 1950s and are not sure what to make? Just pick up 2 or 3 of whatever you have in your kitchen, stick it in some jello, and blam! You're a genius! I saw a recipe for jello that contains shrimp! SHRIMP JELLO! Then maybe toss in some orange slices, a couple of oreo cookies, sprinkle on some chili powder, a couple of altoids you bought in 1998 and never opened, and just whatever! Jello success!

WELCOME TO SCANDINAVIA

Kabaret.jpg

No, see, that's a sane aspic mold.

We're talking "encase-everything-in-lime-dissert-jello-and-vinigar" levels of crazy.

@Feddlefew you guys bring real food to your DnD meetups? The few meetups I've been to people only brought chips and beer.

On the topic of gelatin, one thing Iceland is kind of known for is the food we (well, I'm not a fan so I skip it) eat during Þorrablót, including the Svið, a boiled sheep's head cut in half. It's usually only eating during Þorri but it's awailable all year around, but if half a sheepshead with the skull and all is to much trouble you can also buy these gelatin slabs with the meat inside.

Now I'm wondering what the proper term for this shape is, it's not cube all their faces are the same length. cuboid? Rectangular prism? That's a mouthful.

Blech. I don't want to eat ANYTHING inside of gelatin. I'll eat just regular fruit juice jello, but I don't even particularly like fruit of the same color in jello, let alone MEAT. In particular SEAFOOD which I am also not fond of in the slightest.

I'm sorry, Scandinavia, I love you like a friend, but I don't think we could ever get married cuz of this.

I haven't played D&D since high school, but we always did pizza and a case of mountain dew because we were american teenagers. I wouldn't drink the mountain dew anymore, but I'd still be fine with pizza. I could probably live off of nothing but pizza forever. It's really the perfect food. I probably won't think that when I'm 70 and my intestines can no longer remember what their job is, so that just means I have to EAT AS MUCH PIZZA AS I CAN WHILE THERE IS STILL TIME.

Jumanji 1 character names:
Alan Parrish
Judy Shephard
Peter Shephard
Sarah Whittle

Jumanji 2 character names:
Dr. Smolder Bravestone
Ruby Roundhouse
Moose Finbar
Professor Shelly Oberon

Jumanji 1 clothes:
clothes