Moose Finbar
Professor Shelly Oberon

Jumanji 1 clothes:
clothes

Jumanji 2 clothes:
kids like comic book characters!

*watches his childhood burn*

Image result for jumanji

Agred, but at lest they have Jack and the rock in it so hopefully it wont be too bad.
Edited by Zacal

I think they are trying to turn it into like a 1920s adventure comic kind of a thing, which is sort of cool in a way, but it seems completely out of spirit with both the original and the original book. The original movie was kind of a far stray from the book itself (which makes sense, because the book is very short), but it at least had certain elements that were the same. Specifically it's kids who find the board game and play it inside a house, which unleashes elements of the jungle inside the house. The adults in the movie are adults who were once kids that played the game. You know?

I don't see where these four adults come into the story, and why they are in a real jungle instead of a jungle injected into suburbia, and why they are dressed like super heroes / archetypes / caricatures, and why they all have comic book names.

Honestly, it kinda gives me the strong implication (based on the names, the costumes, AND THE CASTING) that they are going to turn this into a comedy film, which is lame because the first Jumanji wasn't really funny most of the time. It had Robin Williams in it, and Robin Williams is funny, but he also does drama VERY well, which is what the movie was most of the time, i.e. action/drama with occasional funny bits from Robin. But everything else and everyone else in the first movie is taken 100% serious and is just a straight adventure film. And that made Robin even better because funny guys are funnier when they're playing against a straight man (or a straight everything in that movie's case). And honestly, a lot of Robin's jokes in the first Jumanji were delivered in a subtle/deadpan sort of way. But I am getting the feeling that they are gonna try to turn this new Jumanji all ~*ZaAaAaAaNy*~.

Like basically I feel like they are turning the Jumanji reboot into George Of The Jungle. Which, I mean, okay, but just kind of disappointing to me personally.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

If you would have told me when I was younger, the Tremors franchise will include at least 6 movies and 2 television programs, I would have thought you were crazy.

Edited by Johro

I haven't really been following anything about this Jumanji movie, but it kinda feels a bit more like it's trying to do what Clue did, but with Jumanji. Where the actual board game doesn't exist in the world, the world just takes heavy inspiration from the atmosphere of the board game.

Of course, their main problem here is no Tim Curry. 

Edited by Alcoremortis

*initiate pointless frustrated ranty post*

On another forum I'm on, an English teach appeared and explained he will be doing a unit/discussion on coming-of-age stories, which is a pretty specific literary genre. (We discussed it on DFAF a bit during the development of Broken Age. It's called a bildungsroman, ya'll, and it is a whole genre.)

So some people started throwing out some pretty good examples and some examples that were maybe. Broken Age = good. Brothers = good. Gone Home = kinda more about sexual identity maybe but might also work. etc.

But, like, some nerds just don't friggin' listen. Even when you say this is a real genre, here is a link to the wikipedia, here is a list of elements that are characteristic of this genre of story, but there are still nerds being like "Maybe you should try Thomas Was Alone because it's a story about a square being born and coming to terms with existence kinda." 

But that's not a coming of age story--that's existentialism! And Thomas is only one of multiple characters and isn't even the focus for half of the game!

And then another nerd is like, "What about Persona 4? It's about a boy becoming a man among boys."

Guys. Listen. ALL STORIES have character growth. That's like required ingredient #1 of any story. Just because the protagonist is a young man who experiences any degree or kind of personal growth does not automatically make it a coming-of-age story.

And then another nerd is like, "Wouldn't most of the pokemon games work?"

GUYS.

GUYS.

GUUUUUUUYS.

It's like if I started a thread where I asked, "Can anyone think of an example of a video game that is an allegory?" And then some nerd was like, "What about mega man? Because it's like a metaphor for the hero's journey."

SIGH.

*quits*

/rant

6 hours ago, CorruptBiggins said:

Oh no another film that apparently ceases to exist because a remake of it is made.

This isn't a remake.

20 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

I'm sorry, Scandinavia, I love you like a friend, but I don't think we could ever get married cuz of this.

My great grandmothers hate your soul.

20 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

... so that just means I have to EAT AS MUCH PIZZA AS I CAN WHILE THERE IS STILL TIME.

respectable life goal

34 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

So worrying about it is even more fruitless? Good to know.

Wasn't worried about it in the first place because chances are I'll skip it.

My issue with Ghostbusters was simply that it was a sloppy inconsistent movie. I had these suspicions that it was gonna turn out that way long before that even came out and was proved to be correct. But let's not go diving back into that pool because the subject of Ghostbusters is cursed. Every time we talk about it a thread closes.

I really don't mind remakes, as a concept, at all. The only remake I would ever get mad about is if someone remade Teahouse of the August Moon, but nobody will ever do that, so I'm safe. I just mind whether the end result is entertaining in its own right and/or tries to reinterpret the source material in an interesting new way. Which doesn't even mean it needs to be good, just do things that the original couldn't or wouldn't do.

Like, I really liked the new True Grit, because it did stuff that wouldn't have been acceptable with John Wayne. Jeff Bridges was more morally ambivalent, the girl was less innocent and more eaten up by vengeance... the whole thing was grittier and didn't come with that John Wayne "oh everyone'll ride off in the sunset at the end" vibe. I didn't like the new Three Musketeers with Orlando Bloom (though he was easily the best part of the movie with his super hammy villain role) because I can't remember a single thing that happened in that movie except there was some sort of flying ship at the end and that Orlando Bloom was hilarious. It did new things, but not in a way that made sense... also, it takes a lot of work to make a friggin airship battle so boring I only kinda remember it happening.

Basically, I'll give the Jumanji movie a shot if there isn't something I am more desperate to see when it releases.

Is the internet freaking out about Jumanji on a ghostbusters level? If that's true, I honestly didn't notice. I just saw one post about it and that was my reaction.

I honestly don't really care THAT much. It's more like, if they were going to do another Jumanji movie, I would just want them to do it kinda in at least the same SPIRIT as the first one, you know? That just makes sense to me. It doesn't have to be a straight remake, but I feel like ideally it would at least have the same TEXTURE, you know?

Like imagine if they made a "spiritual successor" to E.T. and they turned it into more like Alf or My Favorite Martian. Technically they COULD do that, but I don't feel it is very wise.

I'm not saying that's what they're doing, and I don't mean to prejudge it, but those character names ARE the character names, and it's kinda hard to argue that maybe I don't understand what's going on with the characters' NAMES. It just implies a completely different angle on the idea of Jumanji, which is okay in itself, it's just kinda disappointing to me personally. 

Remakes can be good as Martin Scorsese and the Coen Brothers have shown, but there comes a point where there's just too many of them.

That's not to say I don't look forward to remakes every now and then. The one I'm kinda geared up for now is Kenneth Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express. And I actually liked that 90s Three Musketeers movie from Disney with Charlie Sheen, Tim Curry, Keifer Sutherland and Chris O'Donnell.

Edited by Noname215

Honestly, this is just an offhand whinge for me. I really am not all that incensed.

IN OTHER WHINGE NEWS:

All I want is to live in some part of the world where:

1) There is enough reliable/decent public transport that I never have to own or maintain a stupid f***ing car ever again

2) But also it's not a super urban place like NYC or Chicago.

Cars are basically the bane of my existence. I have never at any point not hated having to own/maintain a thing that I only have to get back and forth from a place I don't even want to go (i.e. work).

15 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Honestly, this is just an offhand whinge for me. I really am not all that incensed.

IN OTHER WHINGE NEWS:

All I want is to live in some part of the world where:

1) There is enough reliable/decent public transport that I never have to own or maintain a stupid f***ing car ever again

2) But also it's not a super urban place like NYC or Chicago.

Cars are basically the bane of my existence. I have never at any point not hated having to own/maintain a thing that I only have to get back and forth from a place I don't even want to go (i.e. work).

That's why I like London a lot. I don't drive and have no intention on ever trying to learn how to drive again and I get around the city no problem, and I don't even live right in the city itself - hell I'll be even further out of the city soon but still within the great transport links. I know that this doesn't help you but I get your pain, even though I never had a car (which technically isn't true as I've bought a couple but only drove one a little bit when I was learning at 17 and the other was used by my friend so I got full taxi benefits without having to worry about the maintenance of the car (and this is completely irrelevant to what is being said here so I need to stop rambling in parentheses (now I've got to wonder about punctuation within parentheses, do I need to use a full stop in side of one? I'm confused now.(?)))).

I just have really shit luck with them. My brother was an absolute arse with most cars he owned. He'd drive them 90 miles an hour, do fishtails with them, plow them through snowbanks on purpose. Thought he could drive like the dukes of hazard, but ended up ruining one car after another. Hell, he just got into an accident like three months ago that very well could have killed him. He's lucky to be alive frankly.

Me? Never been in an accident, never been ticketed, never even accidentally dinged anything with the bumper. Take the car in for regular maintenance, etc. But for some reason, every god damn car that I touch just begins to liquefy immediately. The car that I have now I bought just two years ago and every other week some piece of it starts inexplicably falling off (for example, the driver's side window just fell down into the door for who the f*** knows why). I've probably put like $3000 of upkeep into it in that time, not counting routine maintenance. I hate driving them, I hate taking care of them, I hate paying for them, and I hate what an all-around damn burden they are.

SO THERE.

After all that whingeing, here's some lulz. I really love watching Norm MacDonald's podcast show. He does it in a talk show format where he is a host interviewing a celebrity guest (always another comedian or comedy writer), but the unique spin on the show is that he intentionally hosts his show very badly. Like imagine Between Two Ferns, only instead of PRETENDING to make his guests feel confused and uncomfortable, he just does it for real. (This is pretty classic Norm, though. Just look up the old clip of him on The Daily Show cracking jokes about the crocodile hunter a few days after he died, deliberately to make everyone uncomfortable. It's like his favorite thing.)

This response from Stephen Merchant on the latest episode, though, is A+

8 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

THIS

Also, can you make a good Three Musketeers movie after this gem?

Weird that the trailer uses the Madmartigen theme from Willow.

My ideal Three Musketeers goes back a good deal further...

1948 with Gene Kelly!

The first Disney one was pretty fun, though.

37 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

My ideal Three Musketeers goes back a good deal further...

1948 with Gene Kelly!

The first Disney one was pretty fun, though.

You have managed to impress me.

20 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

You have managed to impress me.

What can I say? I grew up with my grandpa taping movies for me from TCM. 

That and a church with a shockingly good video library stocked with classic films. Because the pastor was a huge film buff.

Edited by Alcoremortis

3 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

What can I say? I grew up with my grandpa taping movies for me from TCM. 

That and a church with a shockingly good video library stocked with classic films. Because the pastor was a huge film buff.

I grew up mostly on old VHS tapes I found lying about the house, and the two I watched the most were Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, but to add to that I also watched stuff like Disney's Robin Hood, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, Darby O'Gill & The Little People and Muppet Treasure Island.

My uncle is in Bedknobs and Broomsticks. So, yeah, I watched that one a lot. (That gives me a Kevin Bacon score of 2)

Otherwise, my most watched movies were probably that Gene Kelly Three Musketeers, The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, Errol Flynn Robin Hood, Animal Crackers, Duck Soup, Horse Feathers, Monkey Business, and Teahouse of the August Moon.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Captain Blood and The Sea Hawk are great Flynn movies, but then you got stuff like Charge of the Light Brigade, The Adventures of Don Juan, The Dawn Patrol, and Objective Burma. Even lesser stuff like Against All Flags and The Master Of Ballantrae are good. 

Well, I was somewhat restricted to what was available. I didn't have cable myself, no video store nearby with old movies, and watching movies on the internet was an absurd notion until my teens.

3 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Well, I was somewhat restricted to what was available. I didn't have cable myself, no video store nearby with old movies, and watching movies on the internet was an absurd notion until my teens.

My supply was pretty limited too because my parents rarely let me get VHS tapes or DVDs mostly because everything I wanted to watch was rated R.

Anyway, today's my birthday

I leave the kitchen for a minute to put the pastry dough in the downstairs fridge, and what do I come back to?  A big pile of flour on the floor with cat footprints and a cat-shaped void in it, and two mostly white cats. >8^(

8 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

I leave the kitchen for a minute to put the pastry dough in the downstairs fridge, and what do I come back to?  A big pile of flour on the floor with cat footprints and a cat-shaped void in it, and two mostly white cats. >8^(

take a picture, post on reddit, get lots of internet points to lighten your mood while cleaning it up