Double Fine Action Forums

His videos are so good. Amazing production quality and a lot of effort put into the debunking.

I'd post more, but I play more board games now and you guys don't reply to those posts.

1 hour ago, chyron8472 said:

I'd post more, but I play more board games now and you guys don't reply to those posts.

To be fair, we don't reply to most posts (unless they are total nonsense).

But also I don't play board games.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

That's why I don't play them, too. They would have at one time, but I'm getting old and everyone I know is married and having babies and I'm like "MARIO KART?!" and they're like "Some of us have babies."

So that whole phase of life.

5 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

That's why I don't play them, too. They would have at one time, but I'm getting old and everyone I know is married and having babies and I'm like "MARIO KART?!" and they're like "Some of us have babies."

So that whole phase of life.

One of my baby-producing friends played Mario Kart with me an entire evening this year. You just have to promise them alcohol.

this is just popped into my mind randomly: when I was a kid I watched Baywatch and I would always be very annoyed when something happened and they would start running in slow motion. I always wanted to get to the action but they always slowed everything down before getting to it. super annoying :P

huh, I just googled baywatch and apparently they're making a movie for 2017

I got to meet Steve Blum today and also got an autographed picture. \o/

8 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

I replied (I think).

My problem with board games is that nobody will play them with me.

Apparently, going to a game store simply to play games with other people who play games, is a thing.
Also solo and cooperative games are a thing. Not just stupid variants of Solitaire.

11 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

To be fair, we don't reply to most posts (unless they are total nonsense).

Peanut butter peep cow tickled in a well.

There is a game store near me that does that, but I'm always a little apprehensive about gaming in person with people I don't know. 

On 9/30/2016 at 10:39 PM, chyron8472 said:

Peanut butter peep cow tickled in a well.

You made me look up peanut butter peep and I found a recipe for peanut butter chocolate peep s'mores, so I thank you for that. ;)

I approve of them doing another Pirates of the Carribean movie, the franchise is (or should be at least) too good to ignore. But I'm not sure that the premise of the movie sounds this exciting. And while Javier Bardem is a really good actor, so is Ian McShane (edited: damn autocorrect), and that didn't really help the last movie. 

Edited by CecilRousso

34 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

I approve of them doing another Pirates of the Carribean movie, the franchise is (or should be at least) too good to ignore. But I'm not sure that the premise of the movie sounds this exciting. And while Javier Bardem is a really good actor, so is Ian McKellen, and that didn't really help the last movie. 

Eh... I think it should have ended with the trilogy. Will and Elizabeth were major charcters throughout the trilogy; plus Richard Griffiths really was so morbidly obese that putting him in On Stranger Tides just made me cringe when his character.was on screen. I'm sure his character was supposed to be fat and disgusting, but come on now, this is a Pirates movie. Plus, Blackbeard felt like a rehash of previous villains. So Pirates 4 just didn't work for me.

Edited by chyron8472

I don't think I ever saw the 4th one.... O.o

But I am a firm believer in trilogy being a nice place to end. Insert here that old rant about how things are most valued which come to an end. No one would want to read a book that never ended (how would you ever read more books?) or eat a cake that you could never finish eating, etc etc. A thing that goes on forever gives us no reason to savor it.

Edit: I think what may be going on here is that, as the movie industry continues to struggle, it is increasingly putting all of its eggs in one particular kind of basket, i.e. the "expanded universe" kinda basket. The movie industry basically wants to find its Marvel well or its Star Wars well and then just keep pumping money-making content out of that one well. Shouldn't be a huge surprise they are trying to turn POTC into a well.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

1 hour ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

I don't think I ever saw the 4th one.... O.o

But I am a firm believer in trilogy being a nice place to end. Insert here that old rant about how things are most valued which come to an end. No one would want to read a book that never ended (how would you ever read more books?) or eat a cake that you could never finish eating, etc etc. A thing that goes on forever gives us no reason to savor it.

Edit: I think what may be going on here is that, as the movie industry continues to struggle, it is increasingly putting all of its eggs in one particular kind of basket, i.e. the "expanded universe" kinda basket. The movie industry basically wants to find its Marvel well or its Star Wars well and then just keep pumping money-making content out of that one well. Shouldn't be a huge surprise they are trying to turn POTC into a well.

Meanwhile, I will not bemoan more Star Trek and Star Wars content so long as it is well produced and provides a good story.

Or if they created a Pirates movie with Dominic Armato as the lead protagonist, gave him a rubber-chicken-pulley and set him against Earl Boen. I would watch that.

Edited by chyron8472

On Stranger Tides was a failure, both as a movie and as a halfassed adaptation of a great novel.

I've always believed that the first three movies were definitely a perfect trilogy, not necessarily with quality, but when it came to having a beginning, a middle, and an end. I also think that the movies were actually about Will and Elizabeth. 

Think about it. Jack Sparrow's only reason for being in the movies is because he gets brought in when somebody needs him. Curse of the Black Pearl is about Will having to go rescue Elizabeth, so he has to go rescue Jack and finds out he's got pirate lineage in him. Dead Man's Chest he gets arrested and his wedding night is robbed of the both of them, and seeds of doubt regarding each other are planted, especially when Elizabeth kisses Jack. In At World's End they're beginning to resent each other in some way, Will even acknowledges he's losing her to his mission to free Bootstrap Bill, but by the end of the movie they're married and she intends to wait for him while he carries out his duty on the Flying Dutchman. They are the only main characters to have an actual conclusive arc, and it's about to be f**king ruined because that guy Bardem talks to in that trailer is supposed to be Will and Elizabeth's son.

Also, poster:

image.png

Edited by Noname215

I liked the original trilogy a lot, probably my favorite movies through my teen years, really. The first one was pure gold (pirate gold) and while the next two were a bit less than that and seemed to forget some important character stuff, they were still good shlocky fun with innovative setpieces, some nice one-liners, and bizarre situations. Also, probably the only American movie series I can think of off the top of my head that straight up stole a Jackie Chan stunt (the spherical cage rolling down the cliff).

The fourth one just failed for me and I think the main reason it did was it just felt so barren. The original series had loads of fun side characters like Pintel and Ragetti, and Murdock and Mullroy, as well as a variety of main characters all with their own goals, like Will, Elizabeth, Norrington, and later Beckett. And then Stranger Tides replaced them with the lady who dressed up like Jack and the guy who fell in love with the mermaid, neither of whom were given enough screentime for me to remember their names or what the point of them being in the movie was. Even then, if the movie had been focused on Barbossa, who always has very clear definable goals, it could have worked, but it was focused on Jack who had a goal so vague all I've got is this notion that he wanted to be immortal again? He could've just gone back to the Aztec chest and nabbed a gold piece if he wanted that.

I'm slightly encouraged by the fact that Orlando Bloom is back for this movie. If anyone can bring balance to the force and prevent Johnny Depp from being a screenhog, it's him.

Geoffrey Rush and Paul McCartney are also in the movie.

Even then, if the movie had been focused on Barbossa, who always has very clear definable goals, it could have worked, but it was focused on Jack who had a goal so vague all I've got is this notion that he wanted to be immortal again? He could've just gone back to the Aztec chest and nabbed a gold piece if he wanted that.

Actually, they explained in Dead Man's Chest that the island sunk into the ocean right after everything that happened in Curse of the Black Pearl. He couldn't get at that Aztec gold even with a diving bell.

Edited by Noname215

Makes me wish that Pirates of the Caribbean: Armada of the Damned didn't get cancelled.

I can't wait for the Japanese translation of this movie. 

Will they go with "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Have No Mouths"?

I'm sick of people saying that the United States gave up control of the internet to foreign countries.  The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority section of the United States Department of Commerce National Telecommunications and Information Administration ceded complete control of the assigning of unique internet identifiers to the non-profit Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.

Nothing has really changed, as the ICANN has been assigning the numbers since 1998.  It's just that now they have their own oversight committee instead of being overseen by the US government.  Plus, it's just the URLs and IP locations and such that are overseen by the ICANN, not the internet.  No one nation has ever, will ever, or even can ever control the entire internet.

1 hour ago, Jenni said:

I'm sick of people saying that the United States gave up control of the internet to foreign countries.  The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority section of the United States Department of Commerce National Telecommunications and Information Administration ceded complete control of the assigning of unique internet identifiers to the non-profit Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers.

Nothing has really changed, as the ICANN has been assigning the numbers since 1998.  It's just that now they have their own oversight committee instead of being overseen by the US government.  Plus, it's just the URLs and IP locations and such that are overseen by the ICANN, not the internet.  No one nation has ever, will ever, or even can ever control the entire internet.