Double Fine Action Forums

So I have a bit of a dumb idea that I've been mucking around with.....

Would anybody want to play a tabletop psychonauts RPG? I'm toying with some basic mechanics right now. Like really basic. Like what dice system to use kind of basic basic.

I'm looking at using a d6  dice pool system where you wager dice, but I need to play around with it a bit. I'd like to keep things simple- like theoretically you should be able to keep all your character's stats on a single 3x5 index card, and it shouldn't take more than a page or two each for character creation rules, conflict resolution, and abilities.

I should also probably replay Psychonauts.

Edit: I am now committed. :razbalance:

Edited by Feddlefew

3 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

So I have a bit of a dumb idea that I've been mucking around with.....

Would anybody want to play a tabletop psychonauts RPG? I'm toying with some basic mechanics right now. Like really basic. Like what dice system to use kind of basic basic.

I'm looking at using a d6  dice pool system where you wager dice, but I need to play around with it a bit. I'd like to keep things simple- like theoretically you should be able to keep all your character's stats on a single 3x5 index card, and it shouldn't take more than a page or two each for character creation rules, conflict resolution, and abilities.

I should also probably replay Psychonauts.

Edit: I am now committed. :razbalance:

I've been wanting to get into some tabletop roleplaying (trying to get my IRL friends together for D&D is like pulling teeth) and that sounds like it could be fun.

Alrighty. Normally I would encourage people to discuss these matters and give feedback via PM or email to @Spaff (Double Fine's community manager) and/or any of the other moderators so that it can be taken onboard and responded to properly, but the preceding discussion has managed to arise in the gap between setting up forum permissions and doing an announcement, and it's gotten to a point where I feel that it's putting some unfair attention and pressure on individual moderators.

If anybody has any specific concerns, please do email or PM Spaff, myself or any of the other volunteer moderators. If anybody sees any moderator behaviour that they feel is inappropriate or don't agree with, please do use that "report post" link. These are the best ways to make sure that problems are visible to people who can address them.

I would also like to ask that the new moderators be given the benefit of the doubt, and are treated to the same kind of courtesy that you would expect if you were stepping into a new role. If you've found that someone has been difficult to interact with in the past and they are now stepping up to meet responsibilities, then give them the opportunity to demonstrate that they are capable of handling those responsibilities before having a dig (even if it's meant in jest, it's still a pretty uncomfortable position to put someone in).

Turning to the assertions about what kinds of backgrounds people within the moderator team do or don't have, I'd like to first say that I don't feel that there is any value to be had from differentiating between "Double Fine people" and "Telltale people". That suggests a level of factionalism that I have difficulty seeing within the community (sure, there are some cliques and circles, but any "us vs them" sentiments feel very much out of place here).

That said, trying to have a good cross section of the community within the moderator team has always been a priority for me. Let's quickly break this down and see if we can also break down some false assumptions at the same time. Note that Darth Marsden has retired from the community moderator team, and is not included in the attached charts.

Nearly half of the community moderation team has been sourced from long-standing community members (referred to affectionately as "old guard" in the attached charts). They may not be visible in this thread, and they may not even post regularly, but they are still involved in decision making and are a part of this community's moderation culture.

The number of moderators who came into the Double Fine community via the Telltale community represents a minority within the community moderation team, with those who came in as Broken Age Kickstarter backers making up the difference.

I don't want to go into specifics because I don't feel that it's my place to reveal that sort of thing, but we've also achieved an even gender balance. Though I think we still have room to improve on so far as cultural diversity goes, our moderators are spread across the globe, with representation in the UK, Norway, the USA and Australia.

When expanding the moderation team, I've tried to keep an eye on making sure that we increase representation and diversity in who we invite, but we can only bring onboard people who are interested in accepting that invitation. Likewise, we can only invite people who stand out as good candidates to us - if you feel like you or someone you know would be a good fit, please do nominate them via a PM and we'll pop them on the list of people to consider next time we expand the team!

Finally, I want to make sure that everybody understands that it's totally OK to not like a moderator or agree with their personal outlooks, but in the interests of making a happy, fun place for everybody, you are still expected to give them civility and respect when they're performing moderation actions in the same way that they are expected to return that courtesy to you.

Let's avoid further derailment of this thread with moderation discussion. PMs and email are open, and we'd be super happy to hear anybody's concerns <3

new_community_moderators.png

Edited by Cheeseness
Fixed chart captions

Huh. Interesting. I think that puts me in old guard, although my post count went way up after the kickstarter 

Reddit has created /r/place which is a canvas for square pixels.

4Chan is merging boards such as /co/ being Comics, Cartoons, & Cooking or /mlp/ being My Little Politics.

Google has announced the Google Gnome.

IGN posted a trailer for Grand Theft Auto the TV show on AMC.

Amazon has announced the Pet Alexa.

Tumblr has a mini game with a horse.

Google Maps has a Pac-Man mini game.

1 hour ago, Europa said:

Screw it I'm a moon now!

Hang on, I'm gonna ask @Cheeseness and @Spaff if we can ban you for life. No one is allowed to discuss you! NOT EVEN YOU!

33 minutes ago, Anemone said:

Hang on, I'm gonna ask @Cheeseness and @Spaff if we can ban you for life. No one is allowed to discuss you! NOT EVEN YOU!

Wait. That would require discussing the forbidden subject...

2 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

Wait. That would require discussing the forbidden subject...

No, we will circumlocute. :happytim:

There's still the first weak ass Annabelle movie and another upcoming spinoff regarding the Nun from Conjuring 2.

I too would like a Conjuring 3. It would be better than another three Insidious movies.

I have to say, I'm put off by the modern setting. Part of the fun of the Mummy is the time period and the archaeological expedition pulp adventure.

If they really wanted to do soldiers, why not do it in World War 1 instead and have some really fun background stuff with Ottomans going on?

I'm a little put off just because I know this movie is going to kickstart a Universal Monsters cinematic universe.

Fraser > Cruise IMO I can't imagine a Mummy movie being so serious.

Well the Karloff original was a straight horror movie.

Edited by Noname215

That Black Sails series finale was badass.

Edited by Noname215

It picks up about halfway through season 1. If you can get past the anachronistic language and the first two seasons' excessive amount of pirate booty, then it's quite frankly a pretty damn good pirate drama. 

One of the most interesting characters in the show is William Manderly, aka Billy Bones.

I was also surprised with how they followe through with a very subtle detail in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel that states John Silver was married to a black woman.

Edited by Noname215

Honestly, I started watching due to the promises of *cough* pirate booty and was disappointed.

Some day I'll give it a longer shot.