Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

Psychonauts 2 FigUpdate #1

Great update!

So let's pick apart that image.

Right at the top we have a big ol' creepy house with evil swirls around it and a scary face. Gotta think that has something to do with the necromancy element of the plot.

To the lower right of that we see Oleander gazing into some kinda glowing purple well thing with an expression that it a little ambiguous. Has he been tempted into doing something naughty again?

Then Milla is holding some kind of glowing spear thing that I don't think we've seen before and Sascha is surprisingly in a big warm winter coat thing. Not sure what any of that is about.

The lower left looks like the entrance to the Psychonauts HQ, close to the region where the camp is as expected.

Off to the right of the picture we have someone on a horse... no clue why that would be, and some snow capped mountains with the Psychonauts private jet flying past.

Raz and Lili both feature prominently up front which makes me wonder again if they're going to have a kind of joint lead role in the game this time.

That's a psychic arrowhead as the tip of the spear Milla is holding! Nice to see confirmation that Milla's voice actress has returned, I'd been wondering about that. I was taken aback by the possible idea for a character whose brain we'll explore being an astrophysicist with low self-esteem, since that strikes close to home! It was exciting to see the gameplay testing in the video, Raz looks more agile than ever there. Also Zak's hair is indeed mesmerising. And it was nice that Tim wrote the update, his excitement is delightful.

Yahoo! Update! Yay!

I especially liked the "combined" process you're using to create minds/characters/locations/themes/gameplay features.

This is going to be a treat. :-)

FacebookLike.jpg

*reposted from fig comments*

Thanks for the update! SO HAPPY TO SEE EVERYONE IN PSYCHONAUTS MODE.

Hello and welcome to Zak! I didn't know him by name when I first heard he was taking up lead design on Psychonauts 2, but then I heard he was the lead designer on Bioshock 2, which had my absolute favorite gameplay of all the Bioshocks, so that was pleasing to hear! But then I stalked him on twitter a little bit (and I recommend that others do the same) and liked the cut of his jib when it comes to his comments/jokes/observations about game design cliches and such. I'm feeling very positive about this guy! Possibly I'm just entranced by his beard, but I'm pretty sure I'm feeling positive about him of my own volition. I think. Probably.

I love the numbered list explaining the "formula" of what is appealing about jumping from one brain to another. When I think of some of my most beloved 3D platformers of the golden years, some of the games that stand out most in my mind are ones that constantly shifted not only the setting and difficulty, but were constantly introducing new "gimmicks" every step of the way. Think of the most amazing and legendary action platformer adventure known as Conker's Bad Fur Day. It has the platforming gameplay all throughout, but every "chapter" of that game FEELS so different, and the gameplay is so different! The first chapter is basically straight Banjo-Kazooie, but in the prehistoric level you've got a hover board race over lava and a coliseum-style arena battle where you get to ride on the back of a bloodthirsty raptor. Then in the spooky chapter you're shooting zombie squirrels in the head with a shotgun, but then you're transformed into a bat and are scooping up peasants and dropping them in a meat grinder. Then in the vault chapter you are doing cartwheel flips in the air in Matrix bullet time. Psychonauts has that same awesome thing that a game like Conker's Bad Fur Day has. You never know what you're going to be doing next, but you know it's gonna be a blast. And I think it all contributes to the feeling at the end that you've come a very long way and accomplished a lot! =D

I'm also feeling super positive about DF working with The Molasses Flood! I am super looking forward to playing their game (I have it wishlisted!), but I can also see how their visual style on The Flame In The Flood is strikingly similar to the Psychonautsy visual style, so I think that is an excellent choice. =D

And of course, I'm happy to see all of our favorite characters back in the studio again! Is Raz going to have Richard Horvitz's beard in the sequel..?! Sorry if that's a spoiler.

Thanks for letting us into Ford's---I mean DOUBLE FINE'S---sanctuary!

I find it disappointing that Rhombus is going to be console exclusive. I understand why POV-hopping is used in some VR games, and I'm sure it will lend itself to the kind of game Rhombus was designed to be; but, being an opinionated netizen, those aren't the kind of VR games I really want to play. Give me a VR game with unrestricted free roam so I can use an Omni. (Whenever Virtuix gets around to shipping them.)

I probably won't play RoR honestly. At least not for a long time and/or not before VR prices go down. I mean, I'd *WANT* to, and I'm not uninterested in VR, but I think it's still a very steep value proposition for a lot of people. Definitely for me!

I probably won't play RoR honestly. At least not for a long time and/or not before VR prices go down. I mean, I'd *WANT* to, and I'm not uninterested in VR, but I think it's still a very steep value proposition for a lot of people. Definitely for me!
I'm in a similar camp. I'm still of the opinion that VR is more of a gimmick than a revolution, so it doesn't interest me at all. I am open to being convinced otherwise though, so I guess we'll see.

The update was fun to read through. Lotta good stuff there. Tad surprised we got it just before E3, but whatever, I'll take what I can get. :)

I'm in a similar camp. I'm still of the opinion that VR is more of a gimmick than a revolution, so it doesn't interest me at all. I am open to being convinced otherwise though, so I guess we'll see.

I don't think it's a gimmick in the way that motion controls or smell-o-vision were gimmicky. It's much more of an actual thing than those.

The thing that makes it feel gimmicky to me is that I have not encountered anyone who owns or intends to own any VR headsets of any kind who are not one of the following:

1) Someone with an above average income

2) Someone who works in the game industry / silicon valley / tech

3) Someone who purchased a kit or was given a kit so that they could write about it

It kinda feels like a bit of an industry circle jerk at this point.

But if the prices come down and the value to consumers goes up, then it's something I could see eventually being a cool thing to have. I fully expect that VR will ultimately end up providing a completely different range of experiences than traditional games, though, so it will be something that exists alongside what we have now rather than being some kind of "next level" of games.

As Ian Bogost once put it: "Not everything is a revolution. Sometimes it's just what comes next."

P.S.: I didn't find the update in my backer email. Be sure to actually send the update to backers, because not everyone of them checks forums, FB, Twitter and so on. ;-)

P.S.: I didn't find the update in my backer email. Be sure to actually send the update to backers, because not everyone of them checks forums, FB, Twitter and so on. ;-)
That's odd, it came through on my e-mail. Are you sure you've got the right e-mail address on your Fig account? I can't seem to see an option to enable/disable updates being sent to your e-mail on the Fig website, so that's the only thing I can see that might be an issue.

A really good update. I'm a very happy backer when I get stuff like these, that shows off some state of the game, some insight into the devleopment, and presents the development team.

I can't say that Psychonauts 1 really bothered me in any particular way in terms of control or camera, other then when the difficullty ramped up, like in the meat circus level, but the ambition to improve still pleases me of course. And what we saw from the planning and project management of this makes me confident in the project.

I think maybe part of the reason the controls didn't seem much of a problem is that they kept combat pretty undemanding on the controls for the most part. A lot of enemies could be dispatched by just firing off a single PSI power and/or a whack or two from your PSI punch. There weren't a lot of enemies that demanded a lot from you as far skillful dodging and tactical use of PSI powers. The most challenging enemies in that respect were probably the luchadores in the Black Velvetopia wrestling matches, and you can somewhat sense the... I don't know what word to use... "blockiness" (?) of the controls in those fights a bit.

In other words, I think that by improving the controls, such as combat controls, that also means they can raise the bar on the enemies and combat encounters with enemies could feel more satisfying overall. A little more something than a quick bop on the head with a PSI power. A little more tactical use of PSI powers.

Another thing that would be a huge improvement in that respect is making it easier to swap PSI powers. Like if you needed Pyro but it was not currently mapped to a hotkey, and as a result you have to pause, go into the menu, assign it, unpause, then use it. That's friction. It might be better if all the PSI powers were in a rotation, like weapons in an FPS game. The hotkeys could skip to a point in the rotation, but you could still press a set of "next/previous" buttons to manually rotate to the PSI power you want in the given situation without having to go into a menu and remap.

That's odd, it came through on my e-mail. Are you sure you've got the right e-mail address on your Fig account?

Absolutely, I double-checked. And I got the other emails, BTW. Go figure... I'm happy to know emails are reaching backers, though. :-)

Love the promo art's tease at new environments and potential appearance changes for the characters. It'll probably be a while before I'll be able to play Rhombus of Ruin if it stays a VR exclusive, but nice to hear that things are coming along regardless.

Nice to see a lot of the old team and cast back at it. Best wishes to McClendon and other new members getting involved as well. Looking forward to seeing what kind of worlds everyone thinks up and the idea that each will have their own gameplay gimmick. It's been quite a while since I've played Bioshock 2, but I can't help but remember the Little Sister's surreal dreamlike section now that the old design lead's on Psychonauts 2.

Off to the right of the picture we have someone on a horse... no clue why that would be.

I think it's Cruller? Still waiting on his triumphant return.

I think maybe part of the reason the controls didn't seem much of a problem is that they kept combat pretty undemanding on the controls for the most part. A lot of enemies could be dispatched by just firing off a single PSI power and/or a whack or two from your PSI punch. There weren't a lot of enemies that demanded a lot from you as far skillful dodging and tactical use of PSI powers. The most challenging enemies in that respect were probably the luchadores in the Black Velvetopia wrestling matches, and you can somewhat sense the... I don't know what word to use... "blockiness" (?) of the controls in those fights a bit.

I remember wishing that we could remain locked onto enemies while using the levitation sphere in combat. Would have made rolling around nightmares and luchadores more viable if we could keep targeting and using psi-blast.

Likewise, it'd be nice to see the general pacing of the combat updated for the sequel. Maybe having us be able to move while using the psi-blast, or giving the punch a bit more knock-back rather than having us stand still to tank beefier enemies, etc.

That's odd, it came through on my e-mail. Are you sure you've got the right e-mail address on your Fig account?

Absolutely, I double-checked. And I got the other emails, BTW. Go figure... I'm happy to know emails are reaching backers, though. :-)

Did you back by paypal? I saw someone on twitter who asked if whether the paypal backers were getting the updates too.

In other words, I think that by improving the controls, such as combat controls, that also means they can raise the bar on the enemies and combat encounters with enemies could feel more satisfying overall. A little more something than a quick bop on the head with a PSI power. A little more tactical use of PSI powers.

Another thing that would be a huge improvement in that respect is making it easier to swap PSI powers. Like if you needed Pyro but it was not currently mapped to a hotkey, and as a result you have to pause, go into the menu, assign it, unpause, then use it. That's friction. It might be better if all the PSI powers were in a rotation, like weapons in an FPS game. The hotkeys could skip to a point in the rotation, but you could still press a set of "next/previous" buttons to manually rotate to the PSI power you want in the given situation without having to go into a menu and remap.

See, now I just want them to use a Ratchet & Clank-style control scheme. Hold one button to let you strafe, giving combat a more tactical feel. Hold another button to bring up a quick-select screen to easily access your Psi-Powers. Etc.

...or maybe I've just been playing too much R&C lately.

See, now I just want them to use a Ratchet & Clank-style control scheme. Hold one button to let you strafe, giving combat a more tactical feel. Hold another button to bring up a quick-select screen to easily access your Psi-Powers. Etc.

...or maybe I've just been playing too much R&C lately.

I actually wouldn't mind a R&C style quick select wheel.

The only disadvantage would be if you needed to fire off 2 or 3 different PSI powers in rapid succession, such as a PSI blast immediately followed by PSI shield. That's hard to do if you have to go through quick select in between.

Though it could still work if, while the quick select were open and you were hovering over the PSI power you wanted, you just pressed the hotkey you wanted to map it to. That way you could have the quick select and also multiple hot keys.

I think 2 hot keys for PSI powers is probably sufficient, though. They could re-allocate the old third one to be the key that brings up quick select.

I'm sure they'll figure something out. =P

Thanks for the update.

Milla lookin' awfully spicy in that image. ^_^

It's too late to slacker-back this game right? I actually kinda have money now. *shrug*

Did you back by paypal? I saw someone on twitter who asked if whether the paypal backers were getting the updates too.

Never mind, I found the mail. Labels in my gmail account went wild, the mail was buried under tons of other stuff, where I never look. :-P

I'm sorry.

Thanks for the update.

It's too late to slacker-back this game right? I actually kinda have money now. *shrug*

There is currently no way to slackerback with fig, but they are trying to figure something out.

I'm sure someone will post some kind of Let's play of it so we get to see the story at least even if we don't play it by ourselves.

I used Paypal and didn't recieve email about this update.

I'm sure someone will post some kind of Let's play of it so we get to see the story at least even if we don't play it by ourselves.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll have to do.

Hopefully I can find a LP with a person who just shuts up and plays the game. 99% of people who record LPs are the kinds of people who should never ever be given a microphone.

Thanks for the update.

There is currently no way to slackerback with fig, but they are trying to figure something out.

Okay, that's what I figured. Hopefully they figure something out. I'd really like to be part of the process. But I was out of work and had no money at the time. :(

If they don't figure anything out, I'll certainly buy the game day 1.

I really do love the first game. Playing it again on PS4 now. :)

Thanks for the update.

Okay, that's what I figured. Hopefully they figure something out. I'd really like to be part of the process. But I was out of work and had no money at the time. :(

If they don't figure anything out, I'll certainly buy the game day 1.

I really do love the first game. Playing it again on PS4 now. :)

Buying more DF games is a perfectly good way of sending them money when fig isn't an option. ;-)

Hmmm,

- Psychonaut Jet speeding past a mountain

- Milla and Sacha in cold-weather gear

- Milla wielding a psitanium harpoon-gun

...We're going to enter the mind of a Yeti, aren't we?

So, any plans to do another update anytime soon? 

5 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

So, any plans to do another update anytime soon? 

being the nerd i am, i too asked on twitter. DF responded that there is an update coming soon! that was a week ago, so we're closing in. my guess is the tenth, since the last one was on the tenth and i think these are quarterly.

Yeah hopefully we get something soon, since this kickstarter is a bit of a downer so far in terms how much info we're getting.