Sign in to follow this  
Levering_2pp

First Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin Gameplay

Hi everyone!

We're showing Psychonauts in the Rhombus if Ruin at E3 all this week! Here's some footage of the floor demo so you don't need to worry about braving the crowds, buying a plane ticket, booking a hotel room, etc.

Ugh. Am I really going to have to buy a console now?

One of us, one of us...

Who here has been lucky enough to try out the demo?  I couldn't believe my luck when Double Fine had it available at the PAX West afterparty and I was able to attend, since it was open to non-PAX ticket holders.  Here were my initial, blissed-out thoughts:
I basically had a religious experience playing the Rhombus of Ruin demo.  Ten years waiting and hoping for more Psychonauts but fairly certain it would never happen unless I won the lottery and gave Double Fine millions of dollars (which I would still totally do, btw)… and suddenly I am in the jet with them.  It was a very intense, immersive experience.  The VR graphics were not quite what I expected, there is kind of an odd quality to them that is hard to explain, but I think it just takes some getting used to. But it’s gorgeous, and sooo cool how it’s literally all around you.  It looks and feels VERY different being “in there” than it does just watching the demo on a screen.  And the gameplay is gonna take some getting used to as well.  I’ve never tried VR before, so it required WAY more thinking than I was anticipating to not be totally clumsy with this mode of looking around and interacting with the world.  I got really disoriented every time I clairvoyanced into someone else head and got all turned around, LOL!  Practice is required here!  The animation on them is great, so many little subtle and frequent movements (Sasha strumming his fingers on the chair armrest and shifting in the seat, for example, and Lili’s little sighs and sad looks around the room…) they look more alive than ever, and knowing that this was pre-Alpha.... well, I cannot even imagine how gorgeous the finished game is going to be.  The jet crash was REALLY intense to experience in VR. I am frothing at the mouth to play the rest of the game, and am completely and totally ready to throw my money at Sony for the VR set. xD
Hopefully only a few more months to wait!

On 12/4/2016 at 1:42 PM, Pax Callow said:

i dunno if this is the right thread for this, but check out the NEW RHOMBUS OF RUIN FOOTAGE! there's like four seconds of it but it looks amazing!!

EDIT: BETTER!

Thanks for the link!  I gotta admit, I was hoping for more out of PSX than just 4 seconds of new footage, but I'll take what I can get!

THIS came out today! i'm losin' my mind! also, dat release date. february 21st! i know there'll probably be a post about this but still.

Awesome! PSVR seems like some interesting tech. Wasn't sure when the release date for this was, so that's a nice surprise!

I ordered my PSVR this week. I figured a christmas bonus, this plus Resident Evil VII apparently being great in it was gonna tip it.

Nice!! Let us know what you think of it. I've heard the new Resident Evil is pretty awesome too. Did you buy that as well? Do you have a standard PS4 or the Pro? 

I recently got a new computer and have been tempted to get a Vive, but the high price is still keeping me from doing so...for now. The place I work does have one though and for the few minutes I've been able to mess around with it, it's cool.