Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

New forums: coming soon!

Hello everyone!

Now I'm back from E3 I can focus on moving us over to our new forums!

Work on the migration tool is nearly complete, which means we should be able to move over within the next few weeks.

I don't have solid plans with dates to share yet, but i thought I'd lay out some of the things we do know in a sort of FAQ.

Please read it, and if you have more questions let me know below!

Why are we moving to new forums?

This forum software we are on is really, really old and lacks a lot of features, both basic and advanced. By moving to new software we will be able to better integrate the modern web into our community, with much easier embedding of content, and easier ways to stay abreast of the lastest posts, etc. We'll also gain a community calendar, and a chat room, along with some other features that may come in useful down the line.

What is the new software we will be using?

IP Board and it's suite of enhancements.

https://invisionpower.com/

How will this play out? Will we lose data?

With help from Invision power, we have constructed a data migration tool that will bring over your profile data, and all of the posts on this board.

There will be a small gap between the time we send over the final data dump, and the time the new boards can open.

We will probably close the forums down whilst things are in transition to help with confusion and lost data.

*hopefully* everything will make it over with you, including your post counts, avatars, etc, although you'll likely be asked to make a new password.

There may be a few casualties - for instance i'm not yet sure if we will be able to reinstate people's backer badges, but we will certainly be trying.

Other things might get screwed up too, like member ranks. Hopefully in a way we can fix up though!

We will archive these boards so we can refer to them, and turn them back on if something has gone totally wrong ;)

When will this all be happening?

TBC - best guess: early July

The Future

This is our chance to really think about this community and make sure its the place we all want to hang out.

We'll be able to adjust everything, and so for instance we'll be taking a look at the rules, and building a safe spaces policy - a set of guidelines that asks people to be mindful and respectful of others.

We'd also like to take on a few new moderators. We have a few names in mind but we're open to suggestions!

Once the forums are up, we will continue tweaking things, so we'll be eager to get feedback from everyone!

Any feature requests, woes or worries, please feel free to post below or get in touch. :)

That goes for anything you think needs an overhaul that we might not be thinking about!

Yay! As long as I don't need to create a new account, I'm sure I'll be happy with the new board

Fantastic, especially as this new forum will have the ability to go to the first unread post of a thread, a feature that has been sorely missed by myself and am sure at least a few others.

Yay! As long as I don't need to create a new account, I'm sure I'll be happy with the new board

Users are being carried across! Woo \o/

Fantastic, especially as this new forum will have the ability to go to the first unread post of a thread, a feature that has been sorely missed by myself and am sure at least a few others.

Email notifications from the current forums have a link to go to the newest unread message if you're subscribed to them (I think IP Board is better in terms of offering other ways to jump to unread messages, but I haven't checked yet).

Hurrah! Best of luck with the transition. You should probably follow through on your idea of closing down the forums before the transition, as there are always a lot of unforseen problems with such projects. Trying to control as many variables as possible beforehand is the way to go.

Ahh, I used this format before with The King Of Hate Forums (forum for the LPer, DarkSydePhil) and moderated on it in the past. I wonder if we'll get a new forum constitution with the change.

We'd also like to take on a few new moderators. We have a few names in mind but we're open to suggestions!

I nominate... me!

I nominate... me!

hot for mod 2016

make dfaf great again

Will there be more hugs on the new forum?

You'll get one free hug with any hug of greater or equal value.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I'm a current mod on another forum and a few subreddits.

Alright! About time! Finally, I'll get to click a button to recognize insightful or funny posts without having to use my brain to type a creative response.

Alright! About time! Finally, I'll get to click a button to recognize insightful or funny posts without having to use my brain to type a creative response.

At this stage, I think we're leaning towards not implementing upvoting/downvoting for posts.

Implement a Pie/Monkey voting for each comment and don't tell anyone what it means.

I award this post one applesauce!

At this stage, I think we're leaning towards not implementing upvoting/downvoting for posts.

Could a 'kudos' feature still happen though? I get that it seems pretty lazy to not just type up a response if you endorse what someone's saying. But sometimes I'm lazy and a response seems like overkill

If you want votes/karma, then I suggest only doing upvotes because I don't want to see people gang up on others and downvote bomb them.

If you want votes/karma, then I suggest only doing upvotes because I don't want to see people gang up on others and downvote bomb them.

Upvotes/downvotes are a terrible system regardless of whether you use just upvotes, just downvotes, or both. That goes for both individual posts and for entire users (e.g. karma/rep systems). They just turn forums into a cesspit of high school drama and/or make everyone post things with the exclusive goal of harvesting upvotes.

A simple facebook-esque "like" system wouldn't be bad. Like I know on the vanilla forums they have "reactions" (very similar to facebook's new reaction feature) where you can click a reaction on a post, but it has absolutely zero effect on anything other than including a tally on that individual post of how many "wow!" or "shiny!" or "agree" or "awesome" it got, etc. It does absolutely nothing to boost that individual post or boost that user's status/privileges. If anything, it's just a measure of how active in the community that user is aside from just post count. Something like that isn't too bad, I think.

But upvoting/karma are cancer.

Could a 'kudos' feature still happen though? I get that it seems pretty lazy to not just type up a response if you endorse what someone's saying. But sometimes I'm lazy and a response seems like overkill

yeah.

ditto

I don't really see the point of having any kind of voting on a forum (except maybe Coolsome's suggestion), as it's just very different than what a discussion forum is about. Voting should be used for making descisions, not contributing to a discussion.

("Liking" is just voting in my book, by the way.)

I don't really see the point of having any kind of voting on a forum (except maybe Coolsome's suggestion), as it's just very different than what a discussion forum is about. Voting should be used for making descisions, not contributing to a discussion.

I don't necessarily agree that "liking" is the same as voting.

A vote to me is more like a karm/rep/upvote system, where the "vote" has a definite end result. You are voting to signal boost that post (e.g. reddit system) or voting to promote that user (e.g. karma systems where you can rank up via accumulated karma) etc.

But a mere "like" button (or reaction button) simply tells you people liked or reacted to your post, but it otherwise has zero effect. So to me it is not the same thing as voting because it doesn't really DO anything. At most it lets someone attach a smiley to your post, but it doesn't really do much else.

A vote to me is more like a karm/rep/upvote system, where the "vote" has a definite end result. You are voting to signal boost that post (e.g. reddit system) or voting to promote that user (e.g. karma systems where you can rank up via accumulated karma) etc.

But a mere "like" button (or reaction button) simply tells you people liked or reacted to your post, but it otherwise has zero effect. So to me it is not the same thing as voting because it doesn't really DO anything. At most it lets someone attach a smiley to your post, but it doesn't really do much else.

I meant "voting" in more of a popularity-contest-voting kind of way. It might not be as extreme on a forum like this as on Facebook, where it's definitely mainly popularity contest voting. You're not deciding anything, but you are continiously voting for the most popular people.

I meant "voting" in more of a popularity-contest-voting kind of way. It might not be as extreme on a forum like this as on Facebook, where it's definitely mainly popularity contest voting. You're not deciding anything, but you are continiously voting for the most popular people.

Well, yes, that's the essential problem of the "karma" system and why that always breaks down. Cliques form and the people in the cliques always give each other rep/karma/votes/likes/etc whereas new people, people who don't fit into any of the cliques, and so on, end up feeling more like outsiders as a result because they can't break through the membrane of a bunch of established cliques locked into ongoing rep/karma/vote/like/etc cycles between themselves. Then you have the occasional person who gets so fed up with it they create a thread decrying all the favoritism and clique-ishness etc.

I think having just a facebook-style "like" system doesn't result in that sort of thing nearly as much as having an actual upvote/rep system in place. It would at least be a diminished form of it. Every couple of months I go to the Penny Arcade forum, which uses Vanilla, and they have a "reactions" system, and I don't think I have ever seen any kind of drama resulting from it, but that could potentially be because there are hundreds and hundreds of users online at all times. It may be more likely to happen on a smaller forum where, much like a small town, everyone knows everyone.

I would like to throw my hat into the ring. I'm a current mod on another forum and a few subreddits.

http://i.imgur.com/Ja84ktP.gif

Just wanted to chime in here and ask that people not be disparaging towards each other about this stuff. We'll take all nominations into consideration and make a decision about how many we need and who's a good fit.