Sign in to follow this  
Spaff

New forums: coming soon!

WHO SAID IT HAD TO BE A VIDEO GAME

#tabletopjam

WHO SAID IT HAD TO BE A VIDEO GAME

#tabletopjam

Hmmm....

Community designs Psychonauts board game and then DF has to play it at a tabletop night xD

Our favourite game when we were kids was pushing strangers' doorbells and run away. We later discovered that it was even more fun if we didn't run away, and just stood there silently instead.

I might do that for a couple of weeks if the Unity thing doesn't work out.

A game made by forum members? Yes please!

Our favourite game when we were kids was pushing strangers' doorbells and run away. We later discovered that it was even more fun if we didn't run away, and just stood there silently instead.

Ah yes, the classic "Ding Dong Ditch" as we call it in our neck of the woods. There is also an alternative and very racist name for it in our neck of the woods, because America.

Oh! And that alternative version where you leave a burning bag of poop on their doorstep as you run away! CLASSIC.

Would it be everyone joining together and making one game, or everyone making their own game individually? I'm confused.

...of course, I'm always confused, so...

I don't think we've settled on any rules yet (other than that it has to be a 3D platformer).

Ah yes, the classic "Ding Dong Ditch" as we call it in our neck of the woods. There is also an alternative and very racist name for it in our neck of the woods, because America.

Oh! And that alternative version where you leave a burning bag of poop on their doorstep as you run away! CLASSIC.

Oh! I've heard about the poop thing. You really have some awful prank tradition for kids. The Halloween thing has started spreading to here, and throwing eggs and/or synthetic slime on strangers' houses is absurd. We have traditionally just gone for extreme social awkwardness.

Would it be everyone joining together and making one game, or everyone making their own game individually? I'm confused.

...of course, I'm always confused, so...

Not much has been decided/discussed. I liked the idea of people working together on something, but that shouldn't stop anybody from making stuff on their own if they want!

Feddlefew, AAA and I talked about what could/couldn't be done with Twine (you can have graphics and sound and stuff), and that feels like it might be a good option to go with in so far as keeping things small and achievable go.

i think the last time people on this forum tried to make a game, it sputtered out because they got way too ambitious. so small and achievable is definitely a good goal.

regarding backer badges on the new forum, i'm not an ip board expert, but it looks like one way to implement it might be through an "award" or "achievement" mod such as this:

https://invisionpower.com/files/file/5966-hq-awards/

Oh! I've heard about the poop thing. You really have some awful prank tradition for kids. The Halloween thing has started spreading to here, and throwing eggs and/or synthetic slime on strangers' houses is absurd. We have traditionally just gone for extreme social awkwardness.

America is a very large place and some "traditions" are only traditional in certain regions of the country and most of them are mischievous child pranks (but can become destructive for sure) started and carried on mostly by angsty jerkhole teenagers. Teepeeing is the tradition of covering a person's house (and all surrounding trees) with toilet paper. It happens as a prank at other times but is especially popular around halloween just because of the look of it I guess. Smashing other people's pumpkins, usually by throwing or stomping, which is where the band gets its name. Flaming poop on the doorstep. Knock on doors and run away. Throwing rotten eggs has mostly been replaced by throwing "stink bombs" which are little glass vials that you throw, which release a powerful odor when they break open (smellier but more hygienic than actual rotten eggs). Soaping people's windows. Setting off fireworks---especially in places that will startle people or make things explode (e.g. pumpkins).

I mean, basically if you played Rockstar's Bully that tells you a lot of what you need to know. For some people Halloween is just dressing up for fun, enjoying the spooky and macabre, eating some snacks, drinking, etc. Other people like a tiny bit of harmless mischief and pranks, which is a natural extension of the mischief of jumping out and scaring people. But other people---especially teenagers---do take it very far and their pranks are more like sheer vandalism.

Ah teenage angst. Still want to have fun on halloween but now the adults are treating you (and on some level you feel like) you are too mature now to be asking for candy like these naive little kids and toddlers. And yet you are also not an adult. Trapped in that terrible teenage in-between place that is so confusing and just makes you want to, I don't know, SMASH SOME PUMPKINS I GUESS.

America is a very large place and some "traditions" are only traditional in certain regions of the country and most of them are mischievous child pranks (but can become destructive for sure) started and carried on mostly by angsty jerkhole teenagers. Teepeeing is the tradition of covering a person's house (and all surrounding trees) with toilet paper. It happens as a prank at other times but is especially popular around halloween just because of the look of it I guess. Smashing other people's pumpkins, usually by throwing or stomping, which is where the band gets its name. Flaming poop on the doorstep. Knock on doors and run away. Throwing rotten eggs has mostly been replaced by throwing "stink bombs" which are little glass vials that you throw, which release a powerful odor when they break open (smellier but more hygienic than actual rotten eggs). Soaping people's windows. Setting off fireworks---especially in places that will startle people or make things explode (e.g. pumpkins).

I mean, basically if you played Rockstar's Bully that tells you a lot of what you need to know. For some people Halloween is just dressing up for fun, enjoying the spooky and macabre, eating some snacks, drinking, etc. Other people like a tiny bit of harmless mischief and pranks, which is a natural extension of the mischief of jumping out and scaring people. But other people---especially teenagers---do take it very far and their pranks are more like sheer vandalism.

Ah teenage angst. Still want to have fun on halloween but now the adults are treating you (and on some level you feel like) you are too mature now to be asking for candy like these naive little kids and toddlers. And yet you are also not an adult. Trapped in that terrible teenage in-between place that is so confusing and just makes you want to, I don't know, SMASH SOME PUMPKINS I GUESS.

No! I want to lump you all into a tightly-knit group of similarly-thinking people. I know that saving poop is the dearest tradition you have.

We should probably make sure the email addresses tied to our accounts still work.

DO THIS

We should probably make sure the email addresses tied to our accounts still work.

Feddlefew, AAA and I talked about what could/couldn't be done with Twine (you can have graphics and sound and stuff), and that feels like it might be a good option to go with in so far as keeping things small and achievable go.

My standard warning: Twine is not very polished, versatile or supported. It's great for some stuff but make sure you prototype extensively before actually embarking on a project. I haven't used it in a while, so some stuff may have improved but not from what I hear anecdotally.

My standard warning: Twine is not very polished, versatile or supported. It's great for some stuff but make sure you prototype extensively before actually embarking on a project. I haven't used it in a while, so some stuff may have improved but not from what I hear anecdotally.

I've only heard good stuff about Twine 2, but I don't have any first hand experience to draw upon.

I think that anything that happens will be pretty relaxed/casual/low key (maybe as a precursor to a more serious community jam). Will definitely poke around with stuff before we embark on anything though! :)

I've only heard good stuff about Twine 2, but I don't have any first hand experience to draw upon.

I think that anything that happens will be pretty relaxed/casual/low key (maybe as a precursor to a more serious community jam). Will definitely poke around with stuff before we embark on anything though! :)

I've been playing around with it. It's easier to use than the original Twine.

So. Game Jam.

Should we make another thread for organizing that?

I was thinking that we could try to get a few poeople into IRC (#DFAF) tomorrow at around 1900 UTC to bounce around ideas in real time and then make a thread with the outcomes from that. Does that work for people?

So. Game Jam.

Should we make another thread for organizing that?

I was thinking that we could try to get a few poeople into IRC (#DFAF) tomorrow at around 1900 UTC to bounce around ideas in real time and then make a thread with the outcomes from that. Does that work for people?

That'll be 3PM here - I should be around then.

3am here so I guess I'll be missing out, try to save the logs so I can catch up, I'm interested.

That's 2 PM here. That won't do since I'm at work.

20:00 for me. Depends on whether or not I've gotten the kids off to bed, but if not then, probably at 20:00 UTC or so at the latest.

For anyone who might not know about the DFAF Unofficial IRC channel, the thread with instructions for getting on is here.

We are in the chatroom now talking about the upcoming relaxed game jam that will be going on while the forums are down. A topic will be made on the subject after the chat is had. Join if you're interested. :)