Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Platform availability

According to Adult Swim Games, it's available on PS4 and PC. PC versions include Windows and Mac OSX, but no mention of Linux.

Judging by this tweet by Oliver, I think it's up to Adult Swim Games:

Which of course started a barrage of tweets aimed at @adultswimgames... No, not really, but I'd love to see a Linux version too.

EDIT: Here's the following tweet storm.

I'm glad that's settled then. :) I don't even have a Windows computer.

Is there any news as to whether it will be DRM free?

Is there any news as to whether it will be DRM free?

Yep, it will be. During their latest live stream, they confirmed when I asked that it will be released through all their usual channels on PC - Steam, GOG, Humble.

I'm pretty sure it has only been confirmed for Windows and OS X on PC, unfortunately, and I've been keeping a close eye on it. :(

I'm pretty sure it has only been confirmed for Windows and OS X on PC, unfortunately, and I've been keeping a close eye on it. :(

Same here, and sending nice tweets to Adult Swim Games semi-regularly

Headlander is likely not going to come to Linux unfortunately:

Please excuse me if this isn't the best explanation, i'm not the most technical of folks here, but this is how i understand it:

Previously we've been using Direct X 9 for the windows version of our games, and deriving an opengl version from that to make a mac and linux port.

For Headlander we wanted to push the visuals as much as possible, and so are using the more up to date Direct X 11. Building an opengl version from that would require a rewrite of the whole system we use, and we just don't have the time / money / resources to do that.

Headlander is the last game that we will (probably) ever make on our internal Buddah engine as we are moving to Unreal from now onwards. So even if we did have the time and money etc, it doesn't make much sense to invest lots of work into this engine that we won't ever use again.

The good thing about using Unreal is that is has greater compatibility across win / mac / linux, so we should be able to better support Linux again in our future games - We've already confirmed that Psychonauts 2 will be on Linux.

Also: To make the Mac version, we're using Metal, which has no compatibility with Linux. Where we'd usually be able to make both of those versions together, this time we can't.

We're really sorry guys, we do try our hardest to support everyone, but it's not always possible!

Well, any update on the GOG release? I mean, not even this weekend? :|

I can't even cave and buy only the soundtrack... as it's not on bandcamp yet. :(

Edited by Vainamoinen

Adult Swim are dealing with the soundtrack too, hopefully we'll get it up elsewhere at some stage!

Sign in to follow this