Spaff

Welcome to the new Action Forums!

127 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, 

On behalf of Tim, Info Cow, and everyone at Double Fine, I'm super happy to welcome you all to our new Action Forums! 

These boards should be more suitable for the modern world, allowing far better integration with the rest of the web, your lives and mobile devices too! The migration of everyone's data seems to have gone well, and everything should be where you left it!

Having said that, there are more than likely things that could be configured better, or don't quite work as they should. We'll be continuing to make things better as we go along so you might see things change around a bit, or new things pop up from time to time. Don't be alarmed, this is an ongoing process! 

Bug reporting

If you spot something wrong or can't find something please let us know by posting in this thread, or sending me a message. Same goes for any requests you may have, or ideas for ways we could improve things! As ever, you can also contact our support folks Tony and Vic and myself by emailing support@doublefine.com or posting on support.doublefine.com - there's even a handy link in the navigation bar above.

What's New?

Double Fine Action Chat

Along with the Action Forums we also have an integrated chat room, which can be accessed above. It's pretty basic but it should be a fun place to hang out! Remember to be nice to everyone please! 

Calendar of important events!

We also have a couple of calendars, one for Double Fine events, one for general gaming events, and a community calendar. The first two can only be edited by myself and the moderation team - if you think something is missing, please give us a poke! 

There is also a community calendar that you can add things to yourself, so if you are planning a stream, a contest, a meetup, a gaming session, or some other thing you'd like people to know about, feel free to add it! 

Activity Feeds

It's now a lot easier to keep up to date on posts and people using the Activity Feeds section - you can filter new posts and subscribe to threads and people too. Have a play around and you'll see!

Profile Pages

We had these before, but now we have much better ones. We can add custom fields to these really easily, so if you think we're missing vital information there, please let me know! Everyone should take a little time to pretty up their page, and maybe upload a fancy new high resolution avatar to boot ;) 

Comic Sans

We now have the ability to post using the famous font   Comic Sans MS  -- Tread carefully and use this power wisely.

That's all for now folks, enjoy! 

this is very fancy

i seem to have a new forum rank. interesting

Edited by Double H

This is 1000+ times better than the previous forum upgrade I experienced. Thanks, Spaff! :D

EDIT: Oh, my. I'm Señor Posty-Pants now. :$

There are new ranks, written by tim Schafer himself.

There are new heights to reach to, and more in between too :) 

Does the new forum automatically log you out after X minutes of inactivity? I think I just got booted from the forum somehow (even though I was idle in chat most of the time I was away). O.o

nice forum. you should get tim to hype this up on his "Tweeter" account 

5 minutes ago, hot said:

nice forum. you should get tim to hype this up on his "Tweeter" account 

Tim's off gallivanting off-grid in Yosemite right now.

53 minutes ago, DakoOfTacos said:

Just joined today and very excited! :D These forums look great :B

hello taco friend, you should come to the off-topic section. that's where all the kewl kids hang out 

Are there any plans to convert the rest of the website to the Invision Power suite?

Yeah just soft launching it, but we'll do some more promotion... seems like its all working though woot!

we'll update the DF website, but thats an even bigger project!

Two things:

1. New forum appears to automatically log users off after a certain amount of time. Is this something DF definitely wants to have enabled for their own reasons or is this something we can have disabled?

2. When I click on the titles of older threads with hundreds of posts in them, it takes you to the first page and first post of the thread from like 2008. In the old forum, clicking on the thread title would take you to the most recent page. Is there any easy way to make it like that on the new forum? It's not a huge deal, because you could just click on the page number instead, but it would be nice.

Really struggling with the forum up to now. It's all way too huge, suited for resolutions my screen wouldn't even display, and I'm scrolling my mouse wheel off. Lastly: Where's the button that lets me see and edit UBB code? Because proper quoting seriously isn't manageable without.

Like the design though... :P

/edit: Backer badges coming back, I hope?

Edited by Vainamoinen

Hold down CTRL and scroll the mouse wheel down.

That'll zoom the page out a bit. Works for me, at least.

It looks lovely, and well done on the smooth transition, it's good to see all the old threads still in place. Am I right that the new recommended image size for the avatars is 150x150?

• Yeah the avatars are 150px sq.
  • I'll look into the behaviour of the links
  • I'll also look into that logging off stuff, it's probably a security thing, i noticed that it was doing it but only over long periods of time.
    • Chat kicks you put after a while though.
  • if you press CMD and - on a mac or err ctrl - (?) on windows, then you can zoom out a bit and that might help with the resolution thing? What resolution are you using?

:)

It's.....big! All new forums seem to be. I do like the larger avatars. I'm not a fan of a custom banner for each forum category like many other boards are doing as well, but I'll live with it I suppose.

I do very much appreciate that it is still actually an actual forum and not a lame Reddit bulletin board system like Telltale, Gearbox, and many other places are going with. Thank you for keeping it a proper forum.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

26 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

I do very much appreciate that it is still actually an actual forum and not a lame Reddit bulletin board system like Telltale, Gearbox, and many other places are going with. Thank you for keeping it a proper forum.

Hear, hear!

I just realized clicking on the star/dot left of the thread takes you to your first unread post in the thread. And also clicking on the date under the username of the last poster takes you to the last post in the thread. So those are useful.

x.png

I want warning points! This forum update has made it impossible to warn anyone of anything in real life unless you have a warning point. Due to the warning drought crisis.