Spaff

Welcome to the new Action Forums!

1 hour ago, hot said:

so uh this is what comic sans looks like on an iphone:

*snip*

Just tested it on Android, it also looks just like that.

I wonder if there's anyone on here that actually has a Windows phone. Maybe they'd be able to see comic sans while on the go.

Looks like it should in Opera and Chrome on my phone. A Sony Xperia Z2 with Android 6.0.1.

Never mind. Turns out I'm not able to distinguish between Comic Sans MS and the cursive fallback. :$ I apparently have a different default font that cursive is being applied to though. 

_20160727_120347.JPG

I've spotted a couple of issues with posts that were migrated:

• quotes don't show the name of the quoted user
  • embedded YouTube videos are gone, and only the YouTube ID remain

Here's an example of both issues:

Here's what it used to look like:

quote_and_embed.png

The new forum is looking pretty spiffy.  One small bug to report though, with notification emails sent after following a post.  The email text/plain version formats the linked comment URL incorrectly.  The URL contains an "&" html symbol, where a plain "&" should be.  Means I can't easily copy and paste the URL into a browser.

No biggie.  Just a bit of an annoyance, and an obvious bug in including html codes in plain text messages.

A cool thing I just noticed!

Instead of clicking on the name of a thread to enter it, you can just hover your mouse over it and a preview of the OP will pop up. There is also a button on the preview for "latest post" so you can skip right there.

Nice!

Potential issue:

We initially had the ability to edit our posts, but the option now appears to be missing.

*edit*

Appears to be missing only on some forums. I can edit here, but I don't appear to be able to edit in off-topic.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

I'm not a big fan of the overwhelming white, but I've never been a fan of forums with so much white vs gray or some other neutral tone. I'm sure I'll get used to it sometime.

Smiles

I don't remember if it was like that before or not, but...

No HTTPS support? Seriously??

Do you realize that your forum users are leaking their passwords on the Internet just by signing in right now?

Ah ha! I see how it works now, regarding the ability to edit. We seem to have the ability to edit posts on all boards, but for some reason the ability to edit is on a harsh time limit where you are only allowed to edit the post within about a minute after posting it, and then your ability to edit your own post is revoked. This is how COMMENTING works on a lot of sites, but I don't think it's appropriate for forum posts. If we could have that disabled or at least have the time limit extended to a SUPER GENEROUS amount of time, that would be excellent.

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

By the way, a nice feature of IPBoard is the ability to @ people to get their attention. I'll give it a whirl here and see if it leads to a fix for the post editing issue. :P

@Spaff

@AnAnemoneInAnonymity That is now fixed! sorry - it's because there are two major types of members, 'members' and 'DFA backers' -- I'd set members to unlimited but forgotten to change DFA Backers. both are unlimited now! 

Just now, Spaff said:

@AnAnemoneInAnonymity That is now fixed! sorry - it's because there are two major types of members, 'members' and 'DFA backers' -- I'd set members to unlimited but forgotten to change DFA Backers. both are unlimited now! 

Ah ha! Thanks a bunch!

@flesk I'm not sure what can be done about those, but i shall investigate. 

The way the old forums handled videos was... well it was terrible.

7 minutes ago, Spaff said:

@flesk I'm not sure what can be done about those, but i shall investigate.

Ok, I understand. 

8 minutes ago, Spaff said:

@flesk The way the old forums handled videos was... well it was terrible.

Yes, that was awful both from a portability, usability and technical standpoint. Good riddance! :)

The new forums look great!  I admit, I haven't logged on in a long time and then I forgot that I was already a member here and tried to join again.  Then when I realized I was already here and got signed back in, I find that I already have the avatar I was planning to use when I thought I was joining for the first time.  Yikes.  If only my brain was as shiny and new and functional as these new forums!!

So, question. I see a selection in my profile settings to show backer tags, but I can't see any of them anywhere, including mine. Error, not implemented yet or a screw up on my end?

Edit: Wait, wait, by tags it means the DFA Backer tag and similar, does it? I was looking for the old images that used to show with each post.

Edited by JSoup

If I remember correctly, backer tags/badges were added to the old forums through some (probably very) dirty hacks, and isn't a standard feature for forum software. Spaff has reached out to IPBoard support to see if anything can be done to add them to the new forums, but for now we'll have to make do without them.

Flesk is right, they were hacked into the old boards by someone who no longer works here.

We're going to attempt to retrieve them, that little drop down on the profile makes me hopeful that there is indeed data in the database that we can use to get them back.

don't hold your breath though!

It's important to get them back in case the zombie apocalypse happens and the DF office becomes a safehouse and DF has to make a lot of quick decisions about who gets to come inside and who gets to stay outside and get eaten by zombies. The backer badges really speed up the decision-making process in a situation like this.

The avatar in these profile cards or whatever are to big and it's bugging me.

Oh and apparently you can just paste pictures straight from the clipboard into the editor. Nice.  Never mind the editor lied.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Double H

Yeah this is a CSS thing i need to change -- that popup uses the same class as the ones inline in posts