Spaff

Welcome to the new Action Forums!

125 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Is anyone else other than me getting a plain orange background when using the forum's alternative themes (i.e. instead of the intended backgrounds)? Not sure if it is a forum issue or a browser issue. I've tried restarting my browser (firefox) and it persists.

It appears to be a server issue.  It seems like the forum is having issues with custom images. Hopefully all of the custom images have been fixed now. :)

I was led to believe that these new fangled forums would help me find two of the same colored socks in the dark. I can confirm that this is true*!!! 

*all white socks were in one place and individual experiences may vary. 

There seems to be a bug that affects some images, i'm trying to get to the bottom of that.

HTTPS is on its way, the ipboard folks are dragging their feet on it. We've paid for an SSL certificate though so it should appear shortly.

On 8/27/2016 at 2:04 AM, trogs said:

A month later, no HTTPS, AND you just mail spammed all your subscribers telling them to re-log in and setup new passwords.

Come on, it's 2016, setting up HTTPS should be the first thing you do when you're running a forum which is collecting email addresses and passwords.

I hope you're hashing the passwords in the database at least.

Sort it out.

We are! 

I'm not sure what happened with that email and why it went out now. That should have gone out when we first launched the boards....

The method passwords are stored is detailed here, although this post is pretty old so maybe it's different now?

https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/advanced-and-developers/miscellaneous/passwords-in-ipboard-r130

13 hours ago, Spaff said:

There seems to be a bug that affects some images, i'm trying to get to the bottom of that.

HTTPS is on its way, the ipboard folks are dragging their feet on it. We've paid for an SSL certificate though so it should appear shortly.

good to hear it's being worked on. sad it's taking a while :(

md5 hashes are pretty much deprecated these days, hopefully ipboard 4 uses something better :)

Hi! Is there no option to edit posts in HTML or markdown view, then?

Also, when you  double click on a hyperlink in the post you're editing to open the pop-up dialogue where you can see the URL and chose to edit or delete it, if it's a youtube link you don't see the full URL. Instead, you always see: "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v", even though the hyperlink works in the saved post. It's a minor thing, it just added a bit of confusion.

A picture, in case your eyes glazed over while reading that.

Edited by EMarley

Question regarding the backer badges and getting the massive chalice ones back.

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but if you can only bring back a single badge image, would it be possible to just create a "new" badge that combines the BA and MC badges into a single image and then just use it on those backers as a single badge with two games on it?

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

On 9/9/2016 at 9:16 PM, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Question regarding the backer badges and getting the massive chalice ones back.

Maybe this is a dumb suggestion, but if you can only bring back a single badge image, would it be possible to just create a "new" badge that combines the BA and MC badges into a single image and then just use it on those backers as a single badge with two games on it?

Next week, when Spaff gets back from his post-PAX break, I'll hopefully be able to take a look at the database to see what's there.  If the data is there, it shouldn't be a problem setting both the Broken Age and Massive Chalice badges individually for everyone.

If the data isn't there... it probably wouldn't be possible unless all of the backer e-mails were entered individually into the database again.  Right now, I was able to set the Broken Age backer badges because Klint had set up a DFA Backers group on the forums - so all I had to do was to set the badge to show up for the people in the group.  There isn't a Massive Chalice backer group (most likely because the EE boards didn't allow people to be in multiple groups - and a lot of people who backed Broken Age also backed Massive Chalice), so Klint set up a database to store the backer information for both Broken Age and Massive Chalice, to let the EE forum know which user backed which game.

The good news though is that there is a backer entry in the converted database (if you edit your profile, you can see a backer setting under the converted section, but there is no text in the drop down menu).  Because of that, I'm optimistic that the data is there, but the new forums simply don't have the code in place to interact with them.

3 hours ago, Jenni said:

Next week, when Spaff gets back from his post-PAX break, I'll hopefully be able to take a look at the database to see what's there.  If the data is there, it shouldn't be a problem setting both the Broken Age and Massive Chalice badges individually for everyone.

If the data isn't there... it probably wouldn't be possible unless all of the backer e-mails were entered individually into the database again.  Right now, I was able to set the Broken Age backer badges because Klint had set up a DFA Backers group on the forums - so all I had to do was to set the badge to show up for the people in the group.  There isn't a Massive Chalice backer group (most likely because the EE boards didn't allow people to be in multiple groups - and a lot of people who backed Broken Age also backed Massive Chalice), so Klint set up a database to store the backer information for both Broken Age and Massive Chalice, to let the EE forum know which user backed which game.

The good news though is that there is a backer entry in the converted database (if you edit your profile, you can see a backer setting under the converted section, but there is no text in the drop down menu).  Because of that, I'm optimistic that the data is there, but the new forums simply don't have the code in place to interact with them.

OOoooOoOOOooh, the issue is with the data re: who is or is not a MC backer. Okay, that's different than what I thought!

Anyone else just run into an issue where the forum's cookies seemed like they were wiped and you had to log in again? And after you logged in every message brings you to the first post of the thread instead at the last one you read? Forum get an update or something?

On 11.9.2016 at 4:52 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Anyone else just run into an issue where the forum's cookies seemed like they were wiped and you had to log in again? And after you logged in every message brings you to the first post of the thread instead at the last one you read? Forum get an update or something?

nope, nothing out of the ordinary for me

It does feel like I get asked to log back in on my various devices more often than most forums I go on (and also the notifications question), but I don't think I lost my last read posts 'save-point'.

I haven't had any of the other issues reported above, but I did just experience an issue where I entered a thread and the theme I was using reset back to default and stayed that way even as I moved around the forum. That was kinda weird! Didn't log me out or anything, though.

5 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

I haven't had any of the other issues reported above, but I did just experience an issue where I entered a thread and the theme I was using reset back to default and stayed that way even as I moved around the forum. That was kinda weird! Didn't log me out or anything, though.

Spaff and I (and the helpful ip.Board support team!) managed to finally track down the problem with images.  It required re-building all of the themes from scratch (well, from the default theme).

The logout problems and other stuff might have been related to the themes too - there was some weird stuff going on because of the theme issues, like uploading not working (I'm still not absolutely sure what caused it, but I think the most likely culprit was that we weren't linking images properly in the templates).

If you see anything weird, be sure to give a shout-out about it here, but hopefully now everything should behave the way it should. :)

9 hours ago, Jenni said:

Spaff and I (and the helpful ip.Board support team!) managed to finally track down the problem with images.  It required re-building all of the themes from scratch (well, from the default theme).

The logout problems and other stuff might have been related to the themes too - there was some weird stuff going on because of the theme issues, like uploading not working (I'm still not absolutely sure what caused it, but I think the most likely culprit was that we weren't linking images properly in the templates).

If you see anything weird, be sure to give a shout-out about it here, but hopefully now everything should behave the way it should. :)

*high five*

Any chance the 2HB logo in the forum header can be changed to link to doublefine.com instead of back to the forums? It would be better UX than what it is now.

1 hour ago, nmalinoski said:

Any chance the 2HB logo in the forum header can be changed to link to doublefine.com instead of back to the forums? It would be better UX than what it is now.

I actually like it better this way xD

30 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

I actually like it better this way xD

I find it a bit redundant, because there's a 'Forums' link to the root forum page directly below it.

5 hours ago, nmalinoski said:

I find it a bit redundant, because there's a 'Forums' link to the root forum page directly below it.

I know, but I still like it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is a link to it in the top bar too - action blog! 

our website isn't a particularly useful page at the moment, it's outdated and needs love. 

For now at least i'm happier with that link going to the forums main page.

It may have been reported already since this thread is five months old already and I think Spaff kind of mentions it above that the main site is outdated, but is there any update or bug fixing incoming to the doublefine.com pages?

It doesn't seem to be possible to login on the front page anymore and same for the comments on the Spaff Action News postings and liking/hearting those news?

I love the new forums, this software is really great.

Edited by Kolzig

On 12/19/2016 at 6:45 AM, Kolzig said:

It may have been reported already since this thread is five months old already and I think Spaff kind of mentions it above that the main site is outdated, but is there any update or bug fixing incoming to the doublefine.com pages?

It doesn't seem to be possible to login on the front page anymore and same for the comments on the Spaff Action News postings and liking/hearting those news?

I love the new forums, this software is really great.

The site is moving away from Expression Engine (the forums were the first part of that) - since the accounts are currently linked to EE, it's not possible to login or comment at the moment. The staff at Double Fine has been super busy lately with their various projects, but hopefully they'll be able to update the software behind the scenes once things settle down a bit.