Double Fine Action Forums
Spaff

Welcome to the new Action Forums!

5 hours ago, CorruptBiggins said:

Hey look, I'm an awesome Broken Age backer again!

We appear to be missing the Massive Chalice one, though. Can we only do one badge?

1 minute ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

We appear to be missing the Massive Chalice one, though. Can we only do one badge?

The Broken Age badges are using a temporary workaround for now.  Hopefully the Massive Chalice badges will be able to be returned as well.

Hi, I'm a little late to the party here, but I just wanted to say, nice job! The new forums are looking good!

Ooooh! A dark version! You are so kind to my dry, bloodshot eyes, Spaff.

1 hour ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

Ooooh! A dark version! You are so kind to my dry, bloodshot eyes, Spaff.

*enables dark mode*

vVIkKtH.gif

Quotes look kinda messed up in the reply box since it ends up being black text on a black background, but otherwise, it's glorious.

I like that we named it "DF After Dark"

Let me just go slip into something more comfortable... ;-)

Will there be a way to turn notifications off?  Right now, there's nothing in the settings that does it.

I don't particularly want them, and it constantly comes up with "This site wants to turn them on" no matter how many times I tell it "no."  Which is almost as annoying as unwanted notifications while I'm in another tab would be.

1 hour ago, flesk said:

You can adjust notifications from your account settings:

http://forums.doublefine.com/notifications/options/

Oh, right. I'm not sure if you can turn off everything, like the notifications you get when someone quotes you, and perhaps other things as well? 

There's an option to untoggle if  "someone quotes a comment or post I made".  You should be able to untoggle all of those, plus untoggle the news and information, untoggle automatically follow content, and untoggle  notification preferences to turn off all of the notifications.

Also note that the  "Browser notifications enabled"  message just means that the option has been turned on in the admin section of the board, not that the notifications have been turned on for you.

The only two that can't be toggled are in messenger when you receive a message (a PM) or when you are added to a PM conversation.

On 7/26/2016 at 0:02 PM, Vainamoinen said:

Really struggling with the forum up to now. It's all way too huge, suited for resolutions my screen wouldn't even display, and I'm scrolling my mouse wheel off. Lastly: Where's the button that lets me see and edit UBB code? Because proper quoting seriously isn't manageable without.

Apparently IPB4 has discontinued BBcode for post editing in favor of the WYSIWYG editor (what you see is what you get).  The bbcode that is typed here is a fall back, as it is converted to html before posting (the bonus of this is that you can cut and paste links from elsewhere and they automatically show as links). To remove the color settings, sizes, etc that come from the clipboard, click on the remove format button at the top right of the editor.

I was posting from mobile before, so I didn't spot all those settings after the first "Save" button. :/

I agree with Vainamoinen's point on quoting. There's really no easy way to break a single quote into multiple smaller quotes (that I've found), other than quoting the same person multiple times and doing a lot of editing. And that's barely doable at all on mobile, since a single quote element easily takes up the entire textfield, making it almost impossible to scroll; something that's also an issue when the forums have saved a quote from your previous post and you just want to get rid of it to write a new post from scratch.

8 hours ago, flesk said:

You can adjust notifications from your account settings:

http://forums.doublefine.com/notifications/options/

Oh, right. I'm not sure if you can turn off everything, like the notifications you get when someone quotes you, and perhaps other things as well? 

Unfortunately, turning off everything doesn't seem to turn off the forum wanting permission to notify, which kept asking me after I turned everything off.  I just didn't like having only the choice (through the browser) of either "always allow" or "always block", if there was a chance to just toggle the page wanting to do it. I'll probably change my mind and have no idea how to reverse it (or else forget I even made the choice and will have no idea why it's not working)

22 minutes ago, KarlGG said:

Unfortunately, turning off everything doesn't seem to turn off the forum wanting permission to notify, which kept asking me after I turned everything off.  I just didn't like having only the choice (through the browser) of either "always allow" or "always block", if there was a chance to just toggle the page wanting to do it. I'll probably change my mind and have no idea how to reverse it (or else forget I even made the choice and will have no idea why it's not working)

I didn't realize you were talking about push notifications. Those settings are stored in your browser, but here are instructions on how to change them:

10 minutes ago, flesk said:

I didn't realize you were talking about push notifications. Those settings are stored in your browser, but here are instructions on how to change them:

No problem, it's not a "now" issue as much as a "I can see some time in the future wondering why that's behaving the way it does".  I've just caught myself too many times toggling something to get something to work, only to realize it was in a totally different place.  Like playing with the main volume wondering why there's no sound, then realizing the input was muted.

Then you un-mute it and blast yourself into the wall because you cranked the volume so high trying to fix it. :riggs:

I totally get that, but the way that's handled is embedded in the Javascript libraries that ships with IPBoard, and it's not trivial to override for this forum specifically. If you're interested it's the "Notification.requestPermission()"-call in this Javascript file that triggers the request. That in turn is only called if it looks like your browser supports notifications by checking if the window object has a property "Notification", so if you wanted to, you could make a user script that deletes that property for this site. Which umm... wouldn't make it any easier to understand why it's not working in the future, I realized after writing that. But it should definitely be possible for the IPBoard developers to expose a Javascript variable through their PHP code if all notifications are turned off, and make the call to requestPermission() depend on that too. It's a bit silly to ask for permissions if they aren't going to use them anyway. I'm guessing no one requested that feature yet.

12 hours ago, Jenni said:

The bbcode that is typed here is a fall back, as it is converted to html before posting (the bonus of this is that you can cut and paste links from elsewhere and they automatically show as links). To remove the color settings, sizes, etc that come from the clipboard, click on the remove format button at the top right of the editor.

Honestly, in that case, I'd rather be able to edit HTML directly. Quoting is unfortunately a good bit of a hassle, though formatting works a bit better than on other forums.

Well the new layout seems a lot more new user friendly, I had no idea how to work the old one so I just lurked. I don't like that it shows who recently visited your profile because now people know I stalk them >__>

I'm still too scared to post here though, people here are so close it seems hard for a new user to join the community.

3 hours ago, CrazedRabbit said:

Well the new layout seems a lot more new user friendly, I had no idea how to work the old one so I just lurked. I don't like that it shows who recently visited your profile because now people know I stalk them >__>

I'm still too scared to post here though, people here are so close it seems hard for a new user to join the community.

It takes a little while to get to know everybody, just as it does with people in real life, but new people are super welcome. In fact we are always wanting more people to come and hang around all the time. Just a few years ago we got a whole influx of people from the old telltale forum, so that was fun.

Come hang out with us!

17 minutes ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

It takes a little while to get to know everybody, just as it does with people in real life, but new people are super welcome. In fact we are always wanting more people to come and hang around all the time. Just a few years ago we got a whole influx of people from the old telltale forum, so that was fun.

Come hang out with us!

Thanks for the encouragement pal, I'll try to post but no guarantees. There's so much cool features in this forum I'm just too scared to actually use it.

On 8/12/2016 at 8:05 AM, Vainamoinen said:

Honestly, in that case, I'd rather be able to edit HTML directly. Quoting is unfortunately a good bit of a hassle, though formatting works a bit better than on other forums.

I agree.  The current method to edit quotes is terrible (you have to click on the little plus sign at the top of quotes and hover your pointer there while you hit delete - which is all but impossible on mobile platforms).  There are several options to fix this, and I've brought them up to Spaff - so hopefully there will be a much more user friendly option in the future.

On 8/13/2016 at 0:55 PM, CrazedRabbit said:

Thanks for the encouragement pal, I'll try to post but no guarantees. There's so much cool features in this forum I'm just too scared to actually use it.

If you need any help with any of the forum features or have any suggestions on how things can be improved, don't hesitate to let me know.  I'll help in any way I can. :) 

8 hours ago, Jenni said:

If you need any help with any of the forum features or have any suggestions on how things can be improved, don't hesitate to let me know.  I'll help in any way I can. :) 

Make me a pizza!

58 minutes ago, CrazedRabbit said:

Make that two pizzas. 

Cowabunga!

10 hours ago, Jenni said:

I agree.  The current method to edit quotes is terrible (you have to click on the little plus sign at the top of quotes and hover your pointer there while you hit delete - which is all but impossible on mobile platforms).  There are several options to fix this, and I've brought them up to Spaff - so hopefully there will be a much more user friendly option in the future.

Hovering over the plus sign while pressing delete does not work for me for some reason (on PC). But hovering over the text editor does give me the pop-up that I can use ctrl+rightclick for more options. If I ctrl+rightclick the quote box, one of the options is "remove quote".

One thing that I both like AND dislike is the way the quote function automatically consolidates all of the quoted person's text from their entire previous post and filters out other people they were quoting. That is super nice when I'm just quoting a short-but-entire post. But if I'm trying to quote little bits of their post at a time it seems like it is not so ideal.

On the other hand, that discourages people from making those argumentative posts where they meticulously pick apart each other's every little word and grammatical choice. So maybe that's okay in the larger scheme of things. ;-)

The 2PP group image looks a bit jagged:

2pp.gif.8e3b4d1afd6271d31929c61689026017

Especially compared to the other images, which look much sharper:

logo-banner-small.png.a06473ac0adcfa8ed1 mod-justice-50.gif.b9e1a71a7d517a546178e

The backer image is a bit small perhaps, but still looks much better than the 2PP logo.

backertag_brokenage.png

16 hours ago, flesk said:

The 2PP group image looks a bit jagged:

2pp.gif.8e3b4d1afd6271d31929c61689026017

Especially compared to the other images, which look much sharper:

logo-banner-small.png.a06473ac0adcfa8ed1 mod-justice-50.gif.b9e1a71a7d517a546178e

The backer image is a bit small perhaps, but still looks much better than the 2PP logo.

backertag_brokenage.png

The 2PP group image appears to be a shrunken version of their main logo - which is a bit jagged to begin with.

Here's an attempt at dejaggifying it - 2pp.gif

The backer image is the perfect size IMO, especially if/when the Massive Chalice backer tags come back - plus it's the perfect size for the popup windows that come up when you hover over someone's name.

I didn't feel like this needed a new thread so I'm pointing it out here.

I JUST received an email asking me to come back to the DF Forums cause you know... they're back?  Some button broken that I just got that email now?