Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

Things I like about Headlander

I'm not far into the game yet, just an hour. So instead of singing all the praise at once, and maybe not agreeing with myself later, I thought this progress thread would be more useful for me, and for others. 

And there sure are a lot of things to like about this game, and this is not counting just the obvious like the fantastic art and sound. 

I like the nice floaty feeling of the head. It's just the right amount of "floatiness". So you feel it, but it doesn't go all Gravity Game ridiculous. 
I like how the robots keep going for a bit if you detach the head while running. 
I like how Mappy tries and talk me straight if I "accidentally" shoot him. 
I like that this happen even if the Mappy bot isn't visible but in the same room, which gives a nice Brent in Archer feeling. 
I like that the Bobby Zilch dance is in the game. 
I like the feeling I got when I found the head shield ability, and immediately found new strategies to take the down the robots. 
I like how many different ways there really are to take out robots (already, just 1h into the game), that reduces the repetitive feeling of combat that would otherwise have occured. 
I really like the Metroid style map. 

Will be back with more, I'm sure of that. 

One thing that really struck me about the game is that it's visually really funny. Usually it's a game's writing that has me laughing, but this time it was the environments and the physics and such. Like just bonking around or accidentally exploding a body I needed had me cracking up.

My two-word review for this game is "beautifully phallic".

2 hours ago, maddoggey said:

My two-word review for this game is "beautifully phallic".

I'm sure Lee Petty will consider that a tremendous compliment. xD

I'm about 6 hours into Headlander and am really enjoying it. 

The head shield is really sweet.  

And that you can be a dog. 

There are a few psychonauts references in there i think :)

like this:

HL_Dance_HookahRaz_small.gif

I played the Defend the Rogue Eye segment last night. 

You could say that I liked that part, to put it mildly. Well done everyone involved, well done. 

I feel this game never got as much love as it deserved. Sad thing is, it came out in a gaming drought so it's not like other big games overshadowed it. :/

I really enjoyed it. Seemed a lot more polished than the first previews I saw of it.

I enjoyed the hell outta this game, and in all honestly, I wasn't totally sure if I would, just because I haven't played a 2-D side-scroller in a million years and didn't know if I would enjoy that kind of gameplay.  Obviously the art and concept is sheer brilliance, so I was so happy to find that the gameplay was as well.  Everything that was said above holds true for me, and I blew through the game as quickly as I could because I was having such a good time and eager to see wtf was up with Methuselah and Winters and the world.
I hope it's making Double Fine some money, because it's a game that definitely should NOT be overlooked!

Sign in to follow this